JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   New Lift, Tire & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/new-lift-tire-wheels-1272448/)

SamanthaAnn 10-03-2011 06:13 PM

New Lift, Tire & Wheels

Hey, I'm new to this forum and i was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I want to get a lift anywhere between 2 and 3 inches and get a nice beefy tire with a nice set of wheels ..probably black.. I think I want off road tires, but I hardly ever go off roading.. so maybe there's a different tire i should be getting? I have NO idea what to get or where to go.. or what's even going to fit! I don't want to go to a place to get it done because I wasn't looking to spend THAT much.. i know someone who can do the lift but I want to be able to know what I'm talking about .. so if anyone has any suggestions please help!:confused:

Budasac 10-03-2011 06:24 PM

I would suggest you look through the Wheel and Tire thread and also the FAQ's.

Once you do you'll have a better idea of what the end result will look like with different combos. There's also a ton of info in the build threads which you can also find links to at the top of the WK page.

If you're not looking to spend alot of money you're going to want a Budget Boost like Rough Country or Daystar which will give you about 2" and allow you to fit 265/70/17 or 255/75/17 tires(with some mods). That's a pretty common set-up.

SamanthaAnn 10-04-2011 09:06 AM

Thanks so much! ..looking through the tire and wheel link def. helped me see how i want my truck to look. If i just did a 2 inch spacer .. would i feel a difference in the way it rides?

SamanthaAnn 10-04-2011 09:07 AM

ps your jeep looks sick!

DuncsWK 10-04-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaAnn (Post 12267886)
Thanks so much! ..looking through the tire and wheel link def. helped me see how i want my truck to look. If i just did a 2 inch spacer .. would i feel a difference in the way it rides?

The spacer lifts don't change the ride or handling. The only thing you might notice is that your center of gravity goes up (you'll lean a bit more in the corners)

AJeepZJ 10-04-2011 09:39 AM

Actually Buds pic needs to be updated in that list because he ditched the chrome (thank God).... Whenever you get a moment, Bud, can you post an updated pic (full body side-pic) of your WK in ur build thread...

aj

SamanthaAnn 10-05-2011 06:31 AM

Another quick question.. i already get 12 miles to the gallon.. is the 2 inch lift going to make it worse? If so.. should i just get the biggest tires the can fit without a lift? I don't know what to do! :(

AJeepZJ 10-05-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaAnn (Post 12273282)
Another quick question.. i already get 12 miles to the gallon.. is the 2 inch lift going to make it worse? If so.. should i just get the biggest tires the can fit without a lift? I don't know what to do! :(

The tires selection will affect your mpg far more than your lift... If you really want to lift and get tires... Stick to All-Terrains, keep your air-dam on, and don't put anything on your roof, keep your tires inflated properly, make sure you get those tires balanced and suspension aligned. Keep up with your air filter, and replace your 02 sensors according to the maintenance schedule.

SamanthaAnn 10-05-2011 09:30 AM

oh wow .. can't believe i didn't know that! See i learn something new everyday .. but what's an air-dam? and when or how would i know when to change my 02 sensor lol I obviously don't know anything about the car internally i just want to make it look nice!

DuncsWK 10-05-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaAnn (Post 12274174)
oh wow .. can't believe i didn't know that! See i learn something new everyday .. but what's an air-dam? and when or how would i know when to change my 02 sensor lol I obviously don't know anything about the car internally i just want to make it look nice!

The air dam is below the bumper...

With the airdam...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6030/...68860eb64c.jpg
lift & tires front by kamileon50, on Flickr

Without the airdam..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/...8b76e6f89d.jpg
perched jeep by kamileon50, on Flickr

paroxysym 10-05-2011 09:49 AM

if you got a tuner and adjusted your speedo and what not with it your MPGs would not be effected. im running 255s and a BB and see close to 19 on the highway and anywhere from 15-16 just cruising around, and thats on a 91 tune from a superchips flashpaq. as for tires, if youre not wheeling much id look into an all-terrain.

yes the BB will effect your ride alittle, depending how worn out your other suspension components are...

SamanthaAnn 10-05-2011 03:49 PM

your speaking like another language to me.. mind you i am a GIRL lol soo what the heck is a BB .. and where do i get a chip from! lol

stanton3 10-05-2011 03:58 PM

BB- budget boost aka a spacer lift.

What engine do you have? Superchips make tuners for the 4.7 and 5.7. Look around and search some more to get a better idea.

The lift will not hurt your mpg much, but the bigger tires will. Expect a couple mpg drop or more depending on how aggressive tires you go with. Any bigger/heavier tires are going to hurt your mpg.

Look through all the stickies and check out the build threads to get a better idea.

SamanthaAnn 10-05-2011 05:09 PM

5.7 L Hemi .. I'll def look into getting a chip, are they pricey?

stanton3 10-05-2011 05:15 PM

Research and see. Search on here for chips on the 5.7, there are tons of threads on them. See what best fits for you, most people like the superchips because it also offers a trans app.

The time now is 08:21 AM.