New kid in town! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New kid in town!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

New kid in town!

Hey guys, I just bought an 08 WK CRD to replace both my car (98 acura beater to save on gas) and my tow-truck (08 avalanche on 35''). Having both right now is costing me a lot for licenses, maintenance, tires, etc...

I have a need for a tow-truck because I also have a trail-rig (trailer queen)... It's a 1978 dodge Ramcharger 440ci on 8'' of lift with 39.5x18 boggers. It's 7100lbs on the trailer (wich I concur is a bit close to the limit but I don't tow that often).

Now if I'm telleing you guys all about my life here (sorry about that...), it's because I want your awnsers to my questions to reflect my usage... My main goal is gaining mpg's and, as a side, I wouldn't mind a little more torque to tow that trailer...

Soooo, first thing I wanna do is put some 245 70r17 duratracs underneath, plasti-dip my wheels and then comes you guys... before visiting this forum my idea was pretty made on the diablosport extreme power puck but since reading about GDE and the satisfaction rate of that product it leaves me wondering... Has anyone tried the diablosport product on the crd and what would justify me spending double of what it's worth for the GDE? Hear me right here, I'm not a cheap&*?, I just want to make an educated decision...

thanks for your time guys that's all for now!

tibo4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

Well I had a quick response from Keith @ GDE explaining me the major differences... So I'll be saving up for the GDE tuning!
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

BRAKES - with all that power comes great responsibility. Don't forget you'll need to stop that 12,000 Lb train at some point.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

There is a thread that has all the bonuses of the GDE tune here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...-tune-1367173/ I dont personally have a CRD but from what i've read it seems that the people with CRD's love it! and Welcome to the Forum!!!
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

I have electric brakes on the trailer Zlartibartfast... Are the ones on the WK problematic?
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I have not tried that devil product so cannot comment on that. I did buy the GDE and am very satisfied with the product and the service. I tow frequently...long trips... max out around 9600 lb total weight (small trailer). I can pass most any body going uphill that is also towing..... its awesome.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibo4wd View Post
I have electric brakes on the trailer Zlartibartfast... Are the ones on the WK problematic?
Not familiar with the brake brand. My WK works well with the trailer brakes. I just check my adjustment on the controller now and then to make sure I have not accidentally moved the little wheel that regulates it.

My WK brakes have been awesome.... I don't really understand it. Its an 07 with 86,000, lots of towing, and I am still driving the original factory brakes. Checked them last year and was told I still had 80%.... I made them double check because I didn't believe it. I'm due to recheck them again now.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
Not familiar with the brake brand. My WK works well with the trailer brakes.

Zlartibartfast is not the brake brand, it's the nickname of the guy who told me I should check for brakes on this post... Good to know the brakes on the wk are good! thanks! I see you went with the DPF-delete also, how big of an advantage is it?
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

Quote:
the WK brake rotors are not known for their durability. I replaced mine w/Stillen rotors and pads (from Kolak) and I am much happier with the control and response I get now.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
chevra
2008 WK 

Definately go with GDE, you wont be disappointed. I just did the DPF delete on my CRD and it definately made the mileage a bit better, havent towed with the delete yet but im sure it will help. I also have 245/70/17 Duratracs, they are a great tire.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevra View Post
Definately go with GDE, you wont be disappointed. I just did the DPF delete on my CRD and it definately made the mileage a bit better, havent towed with the delete yet but im sure it will help. I also have 245/70/17 Duratracs, they are a great tire.
OK so I'm thinking on waiting for the dpf-delete for now (I'll be spending a lot in the next monthe or so on the truck, so I'll wait for that one for a bit...) Will I have any rub with the duratracs running the stock rims?
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
OK so I'm thinking on waiting for the dpf-delete for now (I'll be spending a lot in the next monthe or so on the truck, so I'll wait for that one for a bit...) Will I have any rub with the duratracs running the stock rims?
Ya I ran the GDE Eco tune without the dpf delete for a while and it was still great. You should be okay for rub, i dont have stock rims so I have a bit different offset. I had a very tiny bit of rub on the plastic but my strut spacers got rid of that. There was another guy on here who had that tire size on stock rims and he said no rub. There are actually pictures on a post somewhere, just search that tire size and it should come up.
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
jjt250
2007 WK 

I think chevra was referring to me. I have 245/70r17 Duratracs on stock rims with no rubbing at all. Plenty of clearance at the upper balljoint bolt and pinchweld. Suspension is not completely stock (I need to update my signature) but you won't have any problems fitting them on stock suspension. I have plenty of more pics if you'd like to see more.

Also I tow often (anywhere between 3500 to 7000+ lbs) and it does just fine. I have no performance modifications (yet).
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
jjt250
2007 WK 

Pics of clearance at:

Swaybar

Pinchweld

and upper ball joint bolt (about a pinky's width of room)

Unread 10-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
tibo4wd
2008 WK 

jjt250, thanks a lot! it's great to see the look it'll give before buying the tires! And it's fun to know that it can tow that alleged 7000+lbs without issues!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.