New to the Jeep world..... please advise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New to the Jeep world..... please advise!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
caiati
2006 WK 

New to the Jeep world..... please advise!

Hello All,

I joined this forum less than a month ago when I first got my Jeep. I love this thing but unfortunately I'm having some issues I was driving down the road normally a few days ago and when I went to step on the brake it seemed as if the ABS was activating unnecessarily. The road was dry and I was doing about 40MPH. I continued driving and a few minutes later it did the same exact thing. I pulled over and turned it off, waited a few minutes and started it again. It seemed to fix the problem for about 4 miles of testing the brakes. I came to a stop light and when the light turned green and I stepped on the gas it seemed as if the traction control started to activate. Then the ABS, ESP and Skid Marks light came on. It finally stopped and I was able to drive but the lights didn't go away. In addition the message center says "Service 4WD System". I again pulled over and turned it off and the message was still there along with the lights. Over the past few days it is intermittent and there are no extenuating circumstances to cause any of it that I know of. I searched the internet and this forum and see that there is a lot of this going on. I've read the fix were batteries being weak, ground connector on the transmission, wheel speed sensors, ABS sensors, re-flash at a dealer so on and so forth. Where do I start?? I just traded in a nightmare money pit of a vehicle and I'm praying I didn't inherit another....... Please advise where to start!!!!!

By the way it is a 2006 Limited with QTII if that helps. Before I bought it the front rotors and pads had been replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Also, are the speed sensors and ABS sensors everyone referred to the same thing? I hope to get some answers. Thanks in advance!!

Rob

caiati is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Hmmmm..... that is a lot of lights. Add "Crank shaft sensor" to your list of possible causes. A failing sensor will cause the "check 4 wheel drive" error.
There was a rash of bad sensors. I had one on my 07 WK. But I did not have the other lights and problems along with it.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
LJS8510
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I think wheel speed sensor.

08 CRD @ 163,000
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.75 BS
JBA UCA's
GSA 255/75/17 32.1" (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
spare 265/70/17 stock location
Lockpic, 100,000 club
LJS8510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

First off, go to your local autoparts store and have them read the codes..From there you can start looking for problems.
Chirpz is right, these jeeps have bad crankshaft sensors. Dont go blindly into these problems, check the codes first.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
caiati
2006 WK 

Thanks. How hard is this crank sensor to replace?
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
tom19511
2006 WK 

sensor

Not hard,
They are held in by a oring, they have a small wire harness attached to it.
On my 3.7 it was on the passenger side of the engine. Up there pretty far, so I had to reach a lot..
Also my '06 has a lot of surface rust around the hole so it took a lot of persuasion to pop it out, and a dremel with a sandpaper attachment to clean up around the hole to put in the new one. It was only 16.00, so it was worth it. Except I did it in February in my cold nonheated garage..
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
caiati
2006 WK 

So will an auto zone or advanced auto be able to locate the problem with a scanner or is this something the stealership has to scan?
Unread 07-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
tom19511
2006 WK 

auto zone or advanced auto will be able to locate the problem with a scanner
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
caiati
2006 WK 

Thanks guys
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
caiati
2006 WK 

So I drive the 15 miles to autozone and of course the lights weren't on when they scanned it. I drive all the way back home only to have the lights turn on 500 feet from my driveway!! I guess I'll have to make another trip soon. I did manage to have them check the battery while I was there and it was reading 100% so I guess I can alleviate that possibility.
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
lazy-A
2006 WK 

I am currently having the same problems. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanx.
lazy-A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
lazy-A
2006 WK 

It's only engaging on drivers front side though, and feel grinding when I brake.
lazy-A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.