new here and lifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > new here and lifting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
calboi

new here and lifting

I just picked a stock 06 wk with 4.7 4x4 and id like to lift it for sure..my question is this im looking into doing the 2" rough country lift kit with 1.5 spacers and running a 285/70/17 but I don't wanna buy the tires and waste money and them not fit.. anyone ever ran anything similar to this setup and I will also be using the stock 5 spoke jk wheels that's common to run. thanks for the help guys

calboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I have the RC lift. I installed it last spring and am already thinking about getting rid of it and upgrading to the OME HD lift springs.
The RC lift is a decent lift for the price. I like it a lot actually. But I have to replace my old worn out struts/shocks. So the OME HD springs would only add a couple hundred bucks to the bill.

So with that said, if you have the extra cash you may just want to go OME instead. You get a little more lift, and brand new shocks/struts. Im not sure how many miles your jeep has, but mine has just over 100,000 and the struts are pretty much done.

Anyways, you Might be able to squeeze that tire in there. But you will have to do work. Im running 255/75/17 with my RC lift and I HAD to do the pinch-weld mod.

After I installed the lift, I had no rubbing for half a day, then everything settled down a bit, and I had really bad running at almost full lock. (not even a full turn, but almost) So I had to do the famous "pinch-weld" mod. Where you remove the inner wheel liner, cut the pinch weld and hammer it over with a big hammer. then paint/bedline and reapply wheel liner.

Im guessing I could probably fit those 285/70/17 in there now. But with the RC lift without doing the pinch-weld...... nope. You would rub like crazy.

285/70/17 are 32.7X11.22R17
Mine (255x75x17) are 32.1X10.04R17

Not that much of a height diff really, but the 285's are a lot wider. Which are no doubt going to rub more without modding.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
BoraBora

2006 WK 

They'll fit, there are a few guys who run that set up. You'll have to do the pinchweld mod very well, and they may rub on sharp turns and when stuffing your tires. There's a write up for how to do the mod on this forum. A quick search and you will find plenty of info on that.

However, as suggested above, look into the OME lift. It's superior in handling, is a proper suspension lift, and yields more lift height.

Build Thread
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
calboi

I forgot to add I was gonna run the bilstein 5100's as well and ive looked at the ome stuff just cant afford that at the moment so....I may just run the 265/70/17 for now till I can save up and get ome springs or rustys springs to add to the spacer kit and go from there.. but im new to all this learning so I appreciate all the cc and knowledge I can get from yall thanks guys
Unread 11-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboi View Post
I forgot to add I was gonna run the bilstein 5100's as well and ive looked at the ome stuff just cant afford that at the moment so....I may just run the 265/70/17 for now till I can save up and get ome springs or rustys springs to add to the spacer kit and go from there.. but im new to all this learning so I appreciate all the cc and knowledge I can get from yall thanks guys
Are you gonna go with bilstein 5100 front and rear?

The reason I ask is the OME lift only consists of struts/shocks and springs. So essentially if you get the bilstein 5100s front and rear all you would need to buy are the OME HD Springs themselves and pair them with your bilsteins. The springs can be bought for around $160 or less for front, and same for rear.

What im getting at here is..... If you are for sure getting 5100's front and rear. Then you could add the whole set OME HD springs for probably under $300 and have the same height lift as the full OME HD kit, with a much better ride quality than the RC lift. Then considering the RC lift is $149 vs $300 your really only spending roughly around $150 more for a much better setup.

This is exactly what im looking into doing right now.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
Are you gonna go with bilstein 5100 front and rear?

The reason I ask is the OME lift only consists of struts/shocks and springs. So essentially if you get the bilstein 5100s front and rear all you would need to buy are the OME HD Springs themselves and pair them with your bilsteins. The springs can be bought for around $160 or less for front, and same for rear.

What im getting at here is..... If you are for sure getting 5100's front and rear. Then you could add the whole set OME HD springs for probably under $300 and have the same height lift as the full OME HD kit, with a much better ride quality than the RC lift. Then considering the RC lift is $149 vs $300 your really only spending roughly around $150 more for a much better setup.

This is exactly what im looking into doing right now.
My thoughts on the subject:

You cannot run the RC front spacer AND an OME lift this causes problems with alignment ruining front suspension components.

You could however run 5100 struts @ 2" lift and a rear spacer for lift now and reduce the 5100 struts to .75" with OME springs @ a later date.

I have 5100's @ 1.5" atm with 255/70r18's and really like the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboi View Post
I just picked a stock 06 wk with 4.7 4x4 and id like to lift it for sure..my question is this im looking into doing the 2" rough country lift kit with 1.5 spacers and running a 285/70/17 but I don't wanna buy the tires and waste money and them not fit.. anyone ever ran anything similar to this setup and I will also be using the stock 5 spoke jk wheels that's common to run. thanks for the help guys

I would purchase the 5 spoke JK wheels with tires for now (way cheap on craigslist used) and run those (255/75r17) on a 5100 @2" plus rear spacer lift. This will hold you over until you can afford to go with a "modified OME lift" and run the 285/70/17 tire, or even the slightly larger 285/75r17.

That would be the same size tire as me and slightly more lift than I am running.

contact Kolak on the forums, he has great deals on bilsteins and the rear spacer, and was the only place that I could find bilstein 5100's when I was buying.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
calboi

i work at a jeep dealership and get nice deals through our vendors so that's the only reason I was going with the rough country and bilstein combo is all...I can get the wheel spacers, lift, and shocks all for less than 500 to the door..and thanks for the info guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.