new here considering replacing prius with jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > new here considering replacing prius with jeep

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Benalexe

new here considering replacing prius with jeep

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I currently have a great little prius which I get 65 MPG (its a plug in) but it is leased and I pay $350 month for it.

My job is likely to be changing which will enable me to put much less miles not he car probably 10K a year maybe 12K. Anyway.I have owned jeeps Grand Cherokees in the past- A 1998 and a 2001. I was happy with both of them.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me I can puck up a jeep for like $5k and the straight 6 runs forever with little problems.

My lease on the prius will be up in the summer and I really like the idea of paying cash and not having a car payment. I also like to have a decent car so my budget will be about $10,000 for a used jeep. I really would like to get one of the higher end models (limited). Despite what my friends old me I learned about the HEMI which is supposed to be good.

So here are some of my questions.

1) Is there a year I should stay away from?
2) Is there a point of too much milage- meaning if I purchase car with 100K miles on it am I likely to have a lot of issues that will cost me thousands and I am better off just leasing another new car for $300 a month?
3)Do the limited models have bluetooth in them? If not is it easy to replace the stock radio with a double din radio?
4) Can I get a decent car for my budget of $10,000
5) I read about the diesel- Should I consider trying to find one?

Anything else to be wary of?

Thanks for your help and insight.

Benalexe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Aclow33
2006 WK 

What model jeep are you looking to get? The straight 6 was only made until 2004 I believe.
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Benalexe

Guess I don't know too much I thought they were all straight 6's. Except for the 8s
Benalexe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Bigdlensch
2006 WK 

I bought my 2006 WK for 9,000 a year and a half ago. 104 k, limited model. 4.7 v8, and I LOVE IT! I bet if your patient you could find a hemi for that price. I think you'd b very lucky to find a CRD at that price. Bottom line is I highly recommend a wk even if it's the v6.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Bigdlensch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Welcome, and be prepared for just a couple less mpg with a WK....lol! To answer your questions:

1. If you're going to get a Hemi, just be aware that some of the 05's and a few of the 06's have had valve seat issues. I have an early 05 and an early 06 and, knock on wood, I've not had any problems with either.
2. Up to date maintenance is pretty much the key to longevity. If the vehicle has just been driven and little maintenance done to it, you're likely to have issues. If the maintenance has been done proactively, the vehicle should last an easy 200K. Of course, this is mostly true for all used vehicles.
3. If you get one with U-Connect, your bluetooth phone can be used. The radios/Nav units, are antiques by today's standards. If you get later models, say 2008 >, you'll get a slightly better unit than the 05's and 06's. You can replace early units with some later units, but it can be costly. Everything on these is controlled by Controller Area Network (CAN) buses, and this is what makes some mods. a little tougher to accomplish.
4. As said, if you're patient you should be able to find a "decent" one within your budget. Whatever you get, look it over VERY closely before jumping. There are several threads here that tell you the things you should be looking for.
5. Diesels are good, but they retain their value quite a bit better than the gasoline powered WK's. IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find a good one within your budget.

Good luck on your search, and hope you find a good one.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
punisher65

2006 WK 

Check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-read-1458434/
BT Catch Can, TB ground, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Interior LED upgrade

WK Build Thread

1993 4.0 ZJ
BB and 31" Bighorns SOLD :(
punisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
LouC
2007 WK 

I have an 07 and it's been good overall but keep in mind that they are somewhat prone to random electronic issues; gauges re booting, warning lights flashing ( often caused by a bad ignition switch), and other odd happenings (wipers going on, windows going down by themselves). The mechanicals are good, better even than the older ones. They are not space efficient at all, hard to see out of and about 700 lbs heavier than a ZJ. They do handle and steer better and the brakes are much better. Try to get the newest best condition one you can.
Unread 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benalexe View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new here. I currently have a great little prius which I get 65 MPG (its a plug in) but it is leased and I pay $350 month for it.

My job is likely to be changing which will enable me to put much less miles not he car probably 10K a year maybe 12K. Anyway.I have owned jeeps Grand Cherokees in the past- A 1998 and a 2001. I was happy with both of them.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me I can puck up a jeep for like $5k and the straight 6 runs forever with little problems.

My lease on the prius will be up in the summer and I really like the idea of paying cash and not having a car payment. I also like to have a decent car so my budget will be about $10,000 for a used jeep. I really would like to get one of the higher end models (limited). Despite what my friends old me I learned about the HEMI which is supposed to be good.

So here are some of my questions.

1) Is there a year I should stay away from? Anything out from under warranty.
2) Is there a point of too much milage- meaning if I purchase car with 100K miles on it am I likely to have a lot of issues that will cost me thousands and I am better off just leasing another new car for $300 a month? See above.
3)Do the limited models have bluetooth in them? If not is it easy to replace the stock radio with a double din radio? I think mine does, but I never use it
4) Can I get a decent car for my budget of $10,000 No
5) I read about the diesel- Should I consider trying to find one? All I ever read about are problems.

Anything else to be wary of?

Yes, it's a typical Chrysler.

Thanks for your help and insight.
Stick with Toyota. Owning a Jeep, even one that is paid for, costs about $3-400 a month on average for maintenance and parts replacement for broken things. Not to mention "bombs" like N23 recall, etc. that you can't just easily "fix".

You're used to a vehicle that you put gas in, and drive, and change the oil in, and that's it. You won't like a Jeep, IMO/IME.

I drive a 2010 Limited WK w/5.7L and Quadradrive II. I still drive it because I love the looks of it, and to be blunt, I have the money to afford a vehicle like this. It has cost me about what my C6 Z06 corvette did as far as money spent during first year of ownership. The Corvette was $1K/mo note, and this Jeep is $400/mo note + repair/maintenance. I'm stubborn and keep saying "After I fix this it will be just fine..." but we all know it's just going to take a dump in some new creative way. Running joke at work is when is it going to die/am I going to put a bullet through the HEMI/am I going to trade it in at a huge loss (these hold no value, $2K below Black Book trade-in is the best I could get for it when I tried a few months ago).

Anyway, long story short, please just buy a 4Runner. It's a much more reliable vehicle from a better company, and will give you what you're used to: A vehicle that you change the oil in, put gas in, crank, and drive, and don't worry about.

That's just my .02 on it after the first 3/4 year with my Jeep. I still love the jeep when it runs, but I've never owned it in fully-functional status. Right now I'm still trying to find a module to fix my 4WD Low because of Jeep's recall that ruined it.

Anyway, pass on Chrysler. Dodge...name says it all.

-FJ Cruiser
-4Runner
-Subaru Forester

That is where I would advise someone to start. All my friends told me the same thing, and I thumbed my nose at them. Well...joke's on me. But at least the HEMI sounds good and I do like the looks of my mall-crawling disabled Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Welcome, and be prepared for just a couple less mpg with a WK....lol! To answer your questions:

1. If you're going to get a Hemi, just be aware that some of the 05's and a few of the 06's have had valve seat issues. I have an early 05 and an early 06 and, knock on wood, I've not had any problems with either.
2. Up to date maintenance is pretty much the key to longevity. If the vehicle has just been driven and little maintenance done to it, you're likely to have issues. If the maintenance has been done proactively, the vehicle should last an easy 200K. Of course, this is mostly true for all used vehicles.
3. If you get one with U-Connect, your bluetooth phone can be used. The radios/Nav units, are antiques by today's standards. If you get later models, say 2008 >, you'll get a slightly better unit than the 05's and 06's. You can replace early units with some later units, but it can be costly. Everything on these is controlled by Controller Area Network (CAN) buses, and this is what makes some mods. a little tougher to accomplish.
4. As said, if you're patient you should be able to find a "decent" one within your budget. Whatever you get, look it over VERY closely before jumping. There are several threads here that tell you the things you should be looking for.
5. Diesels are good, but they retain their value quite a bit better than the gasoline powered WK's. IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find a good one within your budget.

Good luck on your search, and hope you find a good one.
I came from a 2012 370Z, and the NAV/Radio in this Jeep is total crap at first glance. However, the sound system is better, offers more fidelity than the one in my Touring 370Z, and the NAV prompts and auto zoom-in for multiple road intersections, etc. seems somehow better done. I would rather rely on the NAV in my Jeep than in the 370Z, even though the Z would do a killer 3D deal and had much better resolution. I miss live weather radar in the 370Z, though. Really, I'm not a NAV whore, and the one in the Jeep looks dated but is pretty darn functional. I'm a fan.
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
Stick with Toyota. Owning a Jeep, even one that is paid for, costs about $3-400 a month on average for maintenance and parts replacement for broken things. Not to mention "bombs" like N23 recall, etc. that you can't just easily "fix".

You're used to a vehicle that you put gas in, and drive, and change the oil in, and that's it. You won't like a Jeep, IMO/IME.

I drive a 2010 Limited WK w/5.7L and Quadradrive II. I still drive it because I love the looks of it, and to be blunt, I have the money to afford a vehicle like this. It has cost me about what my C6 Z06 corvette did as far as money spent during first year of ownership.

Anyway, long story short, please just buy a 4Runner. It's a much more reliable vehicle from a better company, and will give you what you're used to: A vehicle that you change the oil in, put gas in, crank, and drive, and don't worry about.

That's just my .02 on it after the first 3/4 year with my Jeep. I still love the jeep when it runs, but I've never owned it in fully-functional status. Right now I'm still trying to find a module to fix my 4WD Low because of Jeep's recall that ruined it.
Take this fellas advice with a grain of salt, there are good buys and bad buys, his just turned out to be a worse case scenario; and he is pretty bitter about it.

Try to find anything newer than an 06 if you can, they changed models slightly in 08, and have a bit better interiors. A hemi is a good tank, but a 4.7 if you can find one is the middle of the road, I would venture to say if you are looking at that price range, you might have to have some paitence or get one that is above 100K miles with a good service history.

I would start looking for an 06-08 Grand cherokee Limited with the 4.7 with a good service history and around 80-100K
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I have owned three jeeps purchased new by me. After year 6 the average annual maintenance cost is around $1,200 excluding major repairs. On a vehicle with 100,000 miles expect, if not already done, wheel bearings, brakes, maybe CV axles or CV axle boots, struts and shocks, fluids (transfer case, front and rear differentials, transmission, radiator, power steering, etc) and tires. These items typically wear out around this mileage and if the owner is selling they may have decided to let the maintenance lapse.

If I were planning to purchase a used Jeep 4x4 with about 100,000 miles I would have $3,500 in hand to bring the vehicle up to current maintenance. That is in addition to the purchase price.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
Take this fellas advice with a grain of salt, there are good buys and bad buys, his just turned out to be a worse case scenario; and he is pretty bitter about it.

Try to find anything newer than an 06 if you can, they changed models slightly in 08, and have a bit better interiors. A hemi is a good tank, but a 4.7 if you can find one is the middle of the road, I would venture to say if you are looking at that price range, you might have to have some paitence or get one that is above 100K miles with a good service history.

I would start looking for an 06-08 Grand cherokee Limited with the 4.7 with a good service history and around 80-100K
IMO, X2 on this. I'am on my 3rd Jeep and none of them have caused me ANY real problems. Actually, my 06 GCO, over the 5 years I've owned it has been much better than the two previous ones. I've not had any "big" problems and am very proactive on my maintenance.....on or before scheduled. Only problems I've had in the 5 years is a failed EGR Valve (~$40 to fix) and a lazy (1/1 position) O2 Sensor. I changed all 4 of them at that time and the cost was about $120. IMO, one of the biggest problems some folks have is taking their vehicle to some ripoff stealer or an independent that doesn't know Jeeps. I do all my work (except front end alignments) myself. Most recent was the 90K service and rear brakes. 90K service cost me about $350 (mostly fluids/filters/oil) and the brakes (rotor turning and pads) cost me about a whopping $60. As I said before, when you're looking to buy one, just make sure you look it over real good before jumping.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post

Consider that my jeep is a super clean 2010 with nearly flawless interior and exterior that was owned by a soccer mom. Any vehicle can be a pos. With Chrysler, lemons are just more likely. That's my assessment of it. Consumer reports and others agree.
Unread 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post

I drive a 2010 Limited WK w/5.7L and Quadradrive II. I still drive it because I love the looks of it, and to be blunt, I have the money to afford a vehicle like this. It has cost me about what my C6 Z06 corvette did as far as money spent during first year of ownership. The Corvette was $1K/mo note, and this Jeep is $400/mo note + repair/maintenance. I'm stubborn and keep saying "After I fix this it will be just fine..." but we all know it's just going to take a dump in some new creative way. Running joke at work is when is it going to die/am I going to put a bullet through the HEMI/am I going to trade it in at a huge loss (these hold no value, $2K below Black Book trade-in is the best I could get for it when I tried a few months ago).

Anyway, pass on Chrysler. Dodge...name says it all.

-FJ Cruiser
-4Runner
-Subaru Forester

That is where I would advise someone to start. All my friends told me the same thing, and I thumbed my nose at them. Well...joke's on me. But at least the HEMI sounds good and I do like the looks of my mall-crawling disabled Jeep.

I came from a 2012 370Z, and the NAV/Radio in this Jeep is total crap at first glance. However, the sound system is better, offers more fidelity than the one in my Touring 370Z, and the NAV prompts and auto zoom-in for multiple road intersections, etc. seems somehow better done. I would rather rely on the NAV in my Jeep than in the 370Z, even though the Z would do a killer 3D deal and had much better resolution. I miss live weather radar in the 370Z, though. Really, I'm not a NAV whore, and the one in the Jeep looks dated but is pretty darn functional. I'm a fan.
I haven't spent more than $1000 total on repairs on my jeep since I bought it in 2009. 54k miles with no breakdowns or major mechanical repairs. Maintenance is different. I spare no expense on fluids and other preventative maintenance. I also still have the factory brakes front and rear at 75k miles.

$300-$400 per month in repairs? Are you sure you don't secretly own a range rover?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
slayerized6

I have owned a 2008 Limited with the HEMI for the past 15 months and couldn't be happier. I probably spent close to a $1000 on maintenance during that time, but I changed all fluids, all brake components, spark plugs, filters, got a new Optima battery, etc. I do this with every used car I buy so I know exactly when everything has been replaced instead of not knowing what the previous owner did before; I spare no expense. I have not had to repair anything that was not routine (knock on wood) other than replacing the FCDM with a pre-N23 unit because of the failed recall that messed with the transfer case motor.

I would recommend a 2008 WK with a 5.7l to anyone. My only gripe is gas mileage, but that was not a factor when I bought it.
Unread 10-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I haven't spent more than $1000 total on repairs on my jeep since I bought it in 2009. 54k miles with no breakdowns or major mechanical repairs. Maintenance is different. I spare no expense on fluids and other preventative maintenance. I also still have the factory brakes front and rear at 75k miles.

$300-$400 per month in repairs? Are you sure you don't secretly own a range rover?
I wish I did, lol. Then at least I'd have some class for what I'm spending.

Things gone wrong (82k miles now. 68k when I bought)

-both front lower control arms due to rotted out bushings. Shocks were hitting the front axles on higher rpm shifts and when cornering.
-n23 disabled 4wd low
-sunroof is acting weird but doesn't leak thankfully
-front main pump seal in transmission leaking
-brake rotors warped (at 82k miles I'm not upset)
-belt was shot. Squealed loud

Then there is routine stuff that cost around $1500 because I trust dealer only for fluids and correct tq specs and don't have a place at my apt for trans work and fluid disposal.

-front and rear diff:150 (every 30k)
-transfer case and transmission 350 (every 60k?)
-spark plugs 350 (I let the dealer do it because I don't know when they were last changed and if anyone is to break a plug off in an aluminum head it's me...(every 30k miles)
-shocks and struts:500 (replaced with Bilsteins. Now it handles like my corvette regarding dynamics. Yes it's fat and top heavy, but it feels like it has the same mindset if you will. Just far lower limits of adhesion. The oem shocks and struts are soggy as hell by 60 or 70 k.)

Maintenance I'm not upset over. Just keep in mind that it is not like your toyota. It's always seeming to be due $2-300 in routine maint. Every few months. Be prepared.

What irritated me was the rotten bushings and leaking main seal on trans and glitchy moonroof and n23 wiping out 4wd low. That's bull**** on a 2010 model with 80 ish on the odo.

What I like: hemi sounds good. Room for my guns, gear, and friends. All Time awd = wet and dry and gravel and anything else is reduced to as little issue as possible. Locking front diff....if 4wd worked..., nav is super helpful compared to others I've used regardless of how dated the display and inputs are, the actual usage interface once programmed is great. Structurally it feels like a damn tank. Put Bilsteins on and it's very well behaved even in low traction environments. Seats are firm, supportive, and I love microsuede inserts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.