The New Guy - Getting a Commander for the Wifey - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > The New Guy - Getting a Commander for the Wifey

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

The New Guy - Getting a Commander for the Wifey

hey hows it going everybody. im new around here, you have a great forum set up! Pretty soon i will be getting my wife an '07 Commander. Shes currently in a '96 Grand Cherokee and loves jeeps in general. Any advice for a soon to be buyer? Any factory options we should look at? She has never had a new car so i want to go all out but if some stuff isnt necessary let me know. what is the difference in all the packages? i was thinking about the mineral gray exterior with the saddle brown leather. but let me know and everything you guys tell me will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

JohnnyBighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Jake03KJ
2007 WK 

U Connect is nice for hands free calling.

Lost to the Ex. 07 WK Overland CRD Black/4xGuard Belly Skid & Rear Skid/Amsoil/Custom Winter Front/InMotion Stg II/MBRP Exhaust
Jake03KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

does u connect work with any provider and any phone?

Also, i dont know if this is possible but, is there a way to modify the back window so it can roll down, like in a 4runner. we have some big dogs and it would be cool to have a spot for them in the back when the front is full. i know its pretty far fetched but maybe somebody has done it.

Thanks!
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
goose1

don't know about the rear window thing, but it sounds cool. i always liked that one feature on the 4Rs.

if i had one piece of advice i would say be sure to get the 4.7 at least. don't cheap out. before i bought my WK, i thought the 3.7 was more than adequate, but after driving around with over 9K miles, i couldn't imagine a V6 pulling my WK around. on top of that, the XK is a little bit heavier, so...but if you could get the 5.7 then i say go for that. from what i have been reading, they are getting about the same MPG as i am with the 4.7.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
PugetHound

any blue tooth phone and get the Hemi !

06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi !
PugetHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

whats the deal with the hemi? what makes it better than anything else out there? forgive me, i am more of a 4 cylinder japanese car guy ( i know, i know). thanks for the help its all awesome!

Also, out of the sport, limited, and overland, which one should we look at. i would like to have the sunroof, nav system, but not really the dvd screen. Really, what are the differences the make a difference in the three. Thanks again!
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

With those options, you're looking at at least a Limited. The Sport is the base model, where you can add on options. No Hemi available. Limited gives you leather, better stereo, more bells and whistles. The Hemi is an option.

Overland is top of the line. Suede inserts in the seats, wood grain steering wheel, sunroof, Nav and the Hemi are both standard. I don't believe you can get the saddle brown leather with it though. You can get all three levels without the rear DVD.

The Hemi is a great engine. 330hp, 375 lb-ft torque. MDS is a great, because you have the V8 power when you need it, and 4 cylinder efficiency on the highway. This is why there is little difference in MPG between the 4.7 and the Hemi. There are a bunch of guys on here with it and love the power. Both the Grand Cherokee and Commander are heavy vehicles, so it is a noticeable difference between the 3 engines.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

that info is just what i was looking for. i will keep everybody updated on what we decide to do. no matter what its going to be fun and i really appreciate all the input.
Unread 01-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
garsarno

I second the opinion there is a difference between the 4.7 and Hemi. Test drive both and you'll see, esp if you are a car guy.
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

we dropped of the mother in laws liberty for some recall/oil change work and we dropped that we were looking at buying a commander. they let us take a limited with hemi as a loaner for the afternoon. i really liked the hemi, i have nothing to compare it to but i think it may be the one. how much more expensive is the hemi? i love the mds, its the power of a jeep with the capability to get fuel efficiency of my car, cant beat that!
Unread 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

John and good luck on your purchase. According to the Jeep website the HEMI is $845 more then the 4.7.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Bulldog9

I think what you want will determine which model you get. From what you posted, looks like a limited at least, especially if you want leather. I prefer Cloth seats, and REALLY dont like the saddle leather, so Sport it is for me with a few upgrade packages. I'm at 5 months and 7K miles, and my ONLY regret is that I have the base single disk CD player, and that regret is only because the display doesnt show song/band information for the sirius.

DCX makes it pretty easy with 3 packages that groups things. Take a look at their brochure it is brief but pretty self explanitory.

As far as engines, the Hemi is far and away more powerful than the 4.7, and better be with 100 more horespower. I drove both, and went for the 4.7. Sure it is slower than the Hemi, but it has the smooth feel and thrust of a V-8, with a proven rock solid reputation for reliability and durability. Those two things were more important to me than racing at stop lights. I have my 442 for that I also will probably NOT tow more than 5,000 lbs with the Commander.

Gas mileage wasnt an issue for me as much as the mechanical complexity of the MDS and my wanting another 15-20 year vehicle. When it is paid off, I will keep it, hopefully for 20 years or more. My 442 just turned 21 and is still cherry, with 130K miles on it. I want that out of My Commander too, and I just felt that the MDS was too complicated for that.

It really is a preference. I'd say drive both, back to back and see what you connect with. Definately go for 4wheel Drive, and the Trailer Package though.
1979 Yamaha XS1100
Bulldog9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
JohnnyBighead
2007 XK Commander 

sorry about the delay on the reply. that info helps alot. what is it about the saddle leather you dont like Bulldog? Those are good points about the hemi, we are going to test drive both and see what we think. are they making the 07's in that dark kahki? anyways, thanks again!
Unread 01-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
damer1

Rear Window

Rear Window pops up... There's not good way to alter it.

GET THE HEMI!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBighead
does u connect work with any provider and any phone?

Also, i dont know if this is possible but, is there a way to modify the back window so it can roll down, like in a 4runner. we have some big dogs and it would be cool to have a spot for them in the back when the front is full. i know its pretty far fetched but maybe somebody has done it.

Thanks!

[B]DEPARTED[/B]
[COLOR="Silver"]2005 TJ sport[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Cyan"]1995 YJ Sport[/COLOR]
damer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
Francos_Cmdr

U-connect and other comments

I found the U-connect to be one of the most useful options. It makes hands free calling easy and also is pretty good at Voice recognition. Once you add wife's name, and other frequent called friends, it makes calls less distractive. You simply say "Call" machine says "Name Please" You say "Jane", It asks "At home or mobile" You say "Home" or whatever you've entered... The only problem I've had is that sometimes the friends name might sound close to another guy's so you need to be creative like "Big Jake" when you have one guy named Jake and another called Snake... It also makes a difference as to who enters the name... My wife, for instance doesn't enunciate some names just like I do, and sometimes gets in an Infinite doo loop trying to call someone I have no problems with, but I did the recording so that's where the problem is coming from.

My only complaint so far was the back cargo area and the way the rear door opens. Here's a better description and my solution.

Walk to Commander from Grocery store, push the key fob and auto open rear window.. put bag with several bottles of wine and beer loose in bag.. Drive home bag tips over bottles are now loose.. get home and mindlessly open rear hatch with car on slight incline... viola, bottles roll out and hit pavement.. I only lost one bottle of beer before I found a solution to the smooth back cargo floor. I cut a 2x4 exactly the width of the rear width. Put this just forward of the plastic hold downs. Now stuff doesn't roll out.

I have a full year on my Commander now, and I'm lovin it.

KKKKFL
Francos_Cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.