* * * * New CRD Owner from Oregon * * * * - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > * * * * New CRD Owner from Oregon * * * *

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

* * * * New CRD Owner from Oregon * * * *

Hey, Just bought a 2008.5 CRD with 74k miles. Overland with all the bells and whistles. Have already begun modding since I bought it last month. I have checked on a lot of forums and I could not find anyone that Has done a full performance Air intake kit.. Well I just got my Jeep Back from a local custom shop and they did it! Drop down "cold air" intake with 3" piping. K&N cone. I have also done the turbo resonator delete (not the kidney on my CRD, black plastic oval piece) and the same shop that did the intake also did a custom exhaust. 3" straight pipe from the Cat, deleting the "resonator". Paid $250 for the exhaust and $325 parts and labor for the intake. I have pics of everything and if anyone has any questions on the exhaust and intake, just ask! BTW, MY JEEP IS LOUUUUUDDDDD. The intake is ridiculous on opening up the turbo....

DesertDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Huntndogs

Sounds cool, post pics pls. I am about to pull the trigger on an 08 CRD Limited also but in San Diego.
Huntndogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Here are the mods so far
photo-17-.jpg   photo-21-.jpg   photo-18-.jpg   photo-20-.jpg  
photo-22-.jpg

Unread 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Drewd

K&N = BAD....strongly recommend you remove. K&N filters flow better but they allow more dirt into your engine. An oil analysis just before your next oil change will show elevated silicon in your oil reflecting poorer filtration and also higher than normal wear metals Ask anyone at www.bobistheoilguy.com and you'll get the same response from many amateur and professional tribologists.

Speaking of oil changes, make sure you read up on how to do one or you could suffer premature bearing wear/engine damage.

Good luck with your new CRD.

K&N weblinks:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1096766

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=748195
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

I've read on many forums of guys with just the cone, replacing the air box. And they didn't have any issues... every vehicle I have owned has had a K&N filter on it. Never any problems. Most diesel guys (cummins, duramax, ETC.) replace their intakes right away.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Cherokee30D
2007 WK 

Air Filter

I bought a AFE air filter through these guys http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Grand+Cherokee

Works well.....

Cheers, Craig
Cherokee30D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
jjt250
2007 WK 

Wow great start. You said cat back exhaust? So no DPF? Did you get a tune to go with that?

Where exactly is your cone filter? Haha having a hard time seeing where you placed it down there. Did you seal it off from the rest of the engine bay and also did you retain the stock intake tube?

I'd always appreciate more pics/videos.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

Still have the DPF. No tune for it yet :[ the Cone filter is right under the passenger headlight, around the fog light, close to the grill. Used the stock tube from the turbo to where the MAFS is located. then a 3" drop down. can get some more pictures tomorrow, it's getting dark now. Can't tell much on performance gains yet. Just got in intake installed today and it was 92 degrees sooo all my performance was robbed by the heat of the sun :[ it spools the turbo up FAREAKKKING LOUD.
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
jjt250
2007 WK 

So why did you bring the intake down lower, clearance issues for the cone filter? I'd like to do this but don't wanna lower it and most importantly, keep it sealed off from the engine bay so it only brings in cold, outside air. Great work and keep us updated!
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

The shop lowered it so it wouldn't suck in all the heat from the engine. heard of guys taking the stock airbox out and just putting a cone in its place. seems like that'll just suck in all the hot air
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

curious on how it sounds...
ive deleted my DPF and resonator and its not that loud...

i woulda been interested in an intake if he built a whole new pipe like the guy on here did
the stock pipe is too restrictive
255/75R17 BFG KM1's
17" ion alloy rims
15" kicker solo baric L7 w/ Alpine m1000 amp
aftermarket headlights w/5000k HIDs
Red interior LEDs and Red license plate LED
Tinted tails
5% tint over the rear windows
more to come....
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

It sounds really really loud... if you are a family man driving your kids to school or running errands for your wife, DO NOT DO IT. It sounds like a HIGHLY MODIFIED TURBO GASSER. Driving absolutely normal, giving it little gas, it sounds like your turbo is spooling like crazy. It sounds Amazing to be honest. Turns heads for sure. Also can hear a "blow off" of the turbo, sounds like an aftermarket blow off valve. It whistles VERY loud and the turbo spool is VERY loud... i'll take a video of it when I go for a drive here in a bit and i'll post it on here.
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
BurmaJack
2008 WK 

Woot Woot! Looking forward to the vid!

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
jjt250
2007 WK 

That's awesome. Can't wait for the video. Like Turbo said, I also wanna do a new intake pipe.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
DesertDiesel
2008 WK 

well took it for a spin. I'm not lying when I say its ridiculously loud. I like it and every single car i was driving next to looked over at me like a lambo was sitting next to them all amazed. Performance wise. little bit of power gain. in first gear it kicks in pretty good. trying to upload the video right now. The video does not do justice to how loud it actually is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.