New Commander - Bad Key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New Commander - Bad Key

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

New Commander - Bad Key

We just bought a 2007 Commander Limited.

One the ignition keys/fobs works fine. The other one the key works fine as a key but ALL of the buttons start the remote start and do nothing else. If I open the door with the key the panic alarm goes off until the key is put in the ignition.

Can the electronic keys be reset or reprogramed?

Wmhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmhurt View Post
We just bought a 2007 Commander Limited.

One the ignition keys/fobs works fine. The other one the key works fine as a key but ALL of the buttons start the remote start and do nothing else. If I open the door with the key the panic alarm goes off until the key is put in the ignition.

Can the electronic keys be reset or reprogramed?
They can definitely be reprogrammed, I'm not to sure about any sort of reset on them. To program a key fob yourself, you need two working ones. So, in your case, you'll probably have to bring it to a dealership and have them fix it.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
magneticred
2008 WK 

Only the fob part of the 2nd key appears to be defective. You can open it up and look at the circuit board in the fob to see it it can be fixed. I doubt the dealer will be able to fix it for you. If the fob can't be fixed, since you have two working keys you can get a NEW UNUSED key and program it yourself. Do not get a previously used key as this will not be able to be reprogrammed.
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks it sounds like you need two good keys to program a new one. I will swing by the dealership tomorrow. I just like to research before going to dealers, I have found the cost of the bill is very closely tied to how knowledgeable you are going in.
. I have seen some pretty nasty stuff at various dealers
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
GregK340
2007 WK 

You did check too make sure there's a good battery in the key fob? And it's making good contact?
GregK340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Skip the dealer. Run to your local locksmith, most of them will take care of it for you. My opinion is bad contact. Confirm that all of the solder points on the battery cradle are connected. Then confirm your battery is good.

All else fails, have a locksmith get you a new key and most of them can do the programming. Here's a link to my thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/a...-away-1426356/
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Shafer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

Shafer I actually just identified the problem yesterday we just got the truck. I have not opened it up or even replaced the battery yet. Here is My question:

The faulty key works and will start and drive the car, it just will not unlock it using the push buttons. can the faulty key and the good key be used to program a third key without the special programmer. The dealership gave me a story about both keys needing to be reprogrammed. I have not worked with them but I already am getting a bad vibe.

Can you advise?
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I wonder this too. Also have 1 perfect key and one that only starts ths car. Buttons don't work.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Shafer57
2006 WK 

The trucks immobiliser needs to see two already programmed transponders. The transponder is a small chip that has it's own assigned signature (Name if you will) that the vehicle recognizes. This part of the key is separate from the button portion which is powered by the battery, as the transponder part is not powered by the battery.

So that being said, if it starts the truck, you can use it to program the additional 3rd key

Grab your owner's manual and the OBP procedure is in there.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_sentry_key.htm
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Wmhurt
2007 XK Commander 

I called our local locksmith. They only cut and program a key. They will cut any key but said they will only program keys that they sell. Something about viruses on keys corrupting their programming tool. They said it I got a new oem key they would cut it for me, So I'm hoping I can self program a new key with the two I own.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmhurt View Post
I called our local locksmith. They only cut and program a key. They will cut any key but said they will only program keys that they sell. Something about viruses on keys corrupting their programming tool. They said it I got a new oem key they would cut it for me, So I'm hoping I can self program a new key with the two I own.
Viruses? I'm sorry but i know no truth to that claim. BUT i can respect them only programming what they sell. My gig is that I don't guarantee a customer's supplied key to program successfully. That has happened before and i'm not 100% sure why.

Don't worry about it, if you have two keys that start the truck, you're good for the 3rd.
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer57 View Post
The trucks immobiliser needs to see two already programmed transponders. The transponder is a small chip that has it's own assigned signature (Name if you will) that the vehicle recognizes. This part of the key is separate from the button portion which is powered by the battery, as the transponder part is not powered by the battery.

So that being said, if it starts the truck, you can use it to program the additional 3rd key

Grab your owner's manual and the OBP procedure is in there.

http://wkjeeps.com/wk_sentry_key.htm
Sweet I'm buying a third key then. I dont want to have to ever spend $210 on a key ever again. I assume the buttons get programmed along with it? Or do they need sperate programing?
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Shafer57
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post
Sweet I'm buying a third key then. I dont want to have to ever spend $210 on a key ever again. I assume the buttons get programmed along with it? Or do they need sperate programing?
I had a Dodge Charger give me an issue where the remote got programmed seperate, could still do it without a computer though. Check owner manual for confirmation!
2008 335i Twin-Turbo
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Jaashua
2005 WK 

So anyone have a reliable off aftermarket key seller? Since it will just be an extra I don't care if it says "jeep" on it.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
bhawks28
2009 WK 

this is the one I bought from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEM...item484b28efb6
I programmed it with these directions:
Quote:
I found the instructions to reprogram it... and from what it reads, they require (2) keys so you don't get some valet service coping your key.

Instructions
1). Insert one of the preprogrammed Sentry keys into the ignition cylinder of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Turn the Sentry key to start the vehicle for three to five seconds before turning it off. Remove the preprogrammed Sentry key from the ignition cylinder.

2 ). Insert the other preprogrammed Sentry key into the Jeep Grand Cherokee's ignition cylinder. Turn the ignition to the "On" position, listen for a chime to sound and watch for the vehicle's lights to flash. When you hear the confirmation chime and see the lights flash, turn the preprogrammed Sentry key to the "Off" position and remove it from the ignition cylinder.

3 ). Insert a new, unprogrammed Sentry key into the ignition cylinder of your Jeep Grand Cherokee. Turn the ignition to start your vehicle within one minute of inserting the key in the ignition cylinder. Listen for the confirmation chime and watch for the vehicle's lights to flash. Turn the Sentry key to the "On" position again and wait three seconds before turning off the ignition and removing the newly programmed key from the ignition cylinder.
from this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...yself-1412987/

My previous spare key was acting up so I retired it and now use the new key fob from eBay as my backup. My only complaint is a tiny one: the new fob seems just a hair bigger at the tip than my original two, so it takes a little more effort to pull it out. I usually pull the fob out by the key ring attached at the end, but if I do this with the new one, it just pulls the actual key out of the fob. I'm probably going to run it very lightly over the grinder and see if that'll fix it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.