Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New '05 WK: Looking for modification and maintenance advice

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  KillaJeep4569 
#1 ·
I just purchased my 2005 Silver WK Hemi Limited a few weeks ago. It took me quite a while to find one somewhat near me in silver with every available option. I have not had a Jeep in almost a decade, but previosly I owned both a ZJ and WJ.

Immediately upon purchase, I made the following modifications/additions:

• Had dealer perform ignition switch recall
  • Full professional interior, exterior, and engine bay detail (Jeep was very dirty and appeared to have never been waxed/sealed)
  • BF Goodrich A/T KO2 in stock 245/65 17
  • SRT Bright Pedals
  • Bosch Icon wipers
  • Husky floor and cargo liners
  • Jeep Hitch Receiver Plug
  • Moved "LIMITED" badge to under "4X4" on left side of tailgate
  • Added "HEMI" badger under "5.7L" on right side of tailgate
  • Added "Trail Rated" badge to right side to mirror the existing one
  • Added "Jeep" tire valve stem covers from eBay
  • Added Jeep cupholder liners
  • Scosche Magic Mount for iPhone
  • 24" black antenna from AntennaX
  • Monoprice black iPhone lightning cable and Stereo to 2RCA cable to connect iPhone to DVD player Aux. to allow playback through speakers
  • AC Delco Air Filter
  • Existing key and fob was very dirty and worn so I purchased a $7 eBay flip key remote and swapped electronics from OEM fob and had new key cut at Walmart ($1.49) so I now have a brand new flip key remote fob

Next, I want to perform some common upgrades and am looking for advice/suggestions. After driving the WK for a few weeks now, addressing the ride quality is probably my first priority so it appears the Bilstein 5100s and Addco front sway bar would be the most beneficial modifications to start with.

I considered the K&N air filter or FIPK, but after reading through many threads here on the forum, I decided on the AC Delco air filter for $13 as the most effective air filter.

I have also been considering the following modifications:
  • Door entry guards
  • New black wheels
  • Spyder LED taillights
  • Replacing stock fog lights with 4" KC Hilites Rally 400 lights (if that will work), or adding other aux. lights probably to front bumper or future roof rack

The Jeep has 162K miles on it and the mileage, especially on the highway, is even lower than I was expecting. After reading through many threads on MPG, I was looking for suggestions on what I might try to improve the mileage. Here is what I been thinking I would start with: (thanks to Walt- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/9-5-mpg-how-improve-1499960/index2.html#post15221307)

• Oil change with Mobil1
  • AC Delco AIr Filter (on the way from Amazon; AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and WalMart did not carry it
  • Replace all 16 spark plugs with Champion 570
  • PCV valve
  • Transmission fluid change
  • Change fluids in transfer case and in both axles
  • Serpentine belt
  • Air intake filter

Any feedback on which of the above is most the most bang for the buck? Any other suggestions?

Lastly, my HEMI has the surge problem described here around 2000 RPM at highway speeds so I am looking to address that as well:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/subtle-hemi-surge-530286/index2.html

Thanks in advance for any replies

See less See more
#2 ·
Just got my 05 hemi few months back. I spent my money on lights and budget lift. Then figured out that front diff bushings are going bad. Also one lower control arm bushing and my upper control arm ball joints were shot.
My advise is to keep your cost down a few months till you put a few more thousand miles on it and you figure out if stuff is just wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Just got my 05 hemi few months back. I spent my money on lights and budget lift. Then figured out that front diff bushings are going bad. Also one lower control arm bushing and my upper control arm ball joints were shot.
My advise is to keep your cost down a few months till you put a few more thousand miles on it and you figure out if stuff is just wore out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, great advice.

So, assuming I don't have any issues for a few months, any recommendations for mods or maintenance items that might lead to better mileage?

#6 ·
The Transgo shift kit is not hard to install once you have the pan and main filter off. It's just a matter or removing the Valve Body and replacing a few springs and accumulator seals. The hardest part of the whole job is removing the electrical plug on the top of the transmission. Make sure you do the job in a clean area and dip the accumulators in ATF+4 after replacing the seals and before reinstallation into the Valve Body. Also be sure to use a torque wrench on the VB bolts, the filter and the oil pan. While you're at it you may want to invest another $25-30 and pick up a Dorman 265-817 oil pan that has a drain plug built into it. This will make the subsequent fluid/filters change much easier.

Here's a reference for the Taylor Shorty spark plug wire kit. Remember, this set is ONLY for an 05 Hemi. The later models have different coils that cover both spark plugs for each cylinder and do not have any spark plug wires.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?poi=...crdt=0&treatment_id=7&clk_rvr_id=939023177565

#10 ·
As noted some of these jobs are not hard as long as you have some previous automotive experience. On the Hemi, the engine oil and filter change is not difficult, the drain plug is accessible through an opening in the skid plate (plastic on mine) and the oil filter is reachable under the pass side front area if you use a cap wrench on an extension. As far as tune ups, there are 16 plugs and getting at some is a bit challenging (front 4 on the drivers side) because of the fuse box and other electrical stuff there. The Bilstein shocks are a great up grade, the rears are easy to do yourself, the fronts I'd leave to a shop because they are like doing a McPherson strut (even though it is not really a strut suspension, but more of a coil over design) because of safety issues with compressing the spring. The lower clevis bolt also can be seized in place and makes the job more difficult. I'd start with making sure all your fluids have been changed (syn 5/20 for the engine, syn 75/140 gear oil for f/r diffs, with the 4 oz of friction modifier if you have QDII electronic diffs). The trans gets ATF+4 and the transfer case gets the special Mopar fluid sold by the dealers. Then tune up is next if needed....

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I would actually like to do as much of the work myself as possible because I do like tinkering and I definitely get a sense of satisfaction doing it myself, but I have limited experience and tools and I am also somewhat concerned with messing something up, or not being able to complete a job before I need to use the WK.

I signed up for another suggested site and sent a few PMs on the SRT intake tube so hopefully I can locate one.

I also sent an e-mail to a local Jeep/offroad shop to get a quote on installing the Bilsteins, sway bars, shift kit, etc. Hopefully, they give me a reasonable quote and I can use them because they're close and I know other friends who have used them and were happy with the service and results.

I will try to get a quote soon for the fluid changes, sparkplugs, serpentine belt, PCV valve, and TB cleaning from the Jeep dealer where my co-worker's spouse works.

I will keep everyone posted on how I proceed.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I would actually like to do as much of the work myself as possible because I do like tinkering and I definitely get a sense of satisfaction doing it myself, but I have limited experience and tools and I am also somewhat concerned with messing something up, or not being able to complete a job before I need to use the WK.

I signed up for another suggested site and sent a few PMs on the SRT intake tube so hopefully I can locate one.

I also sent an e-mail to a local Jeep/offroad shop to get a quote on installing the Bilsteins, sway bars, shift kit, etc. Hopefully, they give me a reasonable quote and I can use them because they're close and I know other friends who have used them and were happy with the service and results.

I will try to get a quote soon for the fluid changes, sparkplugs, serpentine belt, PCV valve, and TB cleaning from the Jeep dealer where my co-worker's spouse works.

I will keep everyone posted on how I proceed.
Keep in mind for the install of the front shocks, if the shop runs into trouble removing that lower front clevis bolt it may take longer than they estimate. The job can be done without removing that bolt though, but they may not want to do it that way. Just be prepared for an extra labor charge possibly....

#15 ·
Any thoughts on not changing the transmission fluid if I can't be sure that it's ever been changed before?

Isn't there a belief out there that changing transmission fluid for the first time in a high mileage vehicle might loosen certain things that might lead to damage?

#16 ·
Update:

This week I had the following completed:
  • Oil change with Mobil1
  • New PCV valve
  • Cleaned TB
  • Replaced all 16 spark plugs with Champion 570
  • Install Transgo shift kit
  • Transmission fluid change
  • Change fluids in transfer case and in both axles
  • New serpentine belt
  • Installed Taylor Shorty wires

It seems to run and shift much better now. The smoother shifting is especially noticeable which I attribute to the shift kit.

I have a Billet catch can on the way as well.

I ordered the Superchips Flashpaq and installed the 87 tune this morning so I am anxious to see what difference that makes.

I also ordered Bilstein 5100s all around along with new isolators including an extra pair in the rear for a touch more lift. I am planning to run the fronts at 1.5" and with the extra pair of rear isolators hopefully it will be a bit lifted, but level. I also need either new bushings or a whole new LCA so I am in the process of deciding what to do there.

The next "performance" mod will probably be a CAI from K&N or aFe. I know they get mixed reviews, but the way it will clean up the engine bay and throatier sound alone probably makes it worth it to me, even if there are no HP gains.

The K&N with a discount code appears to be about $100 cheaper, even though the aFe looks nicer and has a more protected filter. Any thoughts on these two CAIs? Do they sound the same, or is the K&N louder because the filter is exposed?

I am going to hold off on the sway bars for now to see how much difference the 5100s alone make. Further down the road will probably be a new full brake setup and cat back exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.