Need some help with my 18inch rims... -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need some help with my 18inch rims...

Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales at JeepHut.com10-25% Off Rugged Ridge with Free Gift at ExtremeTerrain!BLACK FRIDAY at ExtremeTerrain!

Unread 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
2008 WK 
Need some help with my 18inch rims...

First of all, greetings from across the world I've been reading this forum for a while, but never posted! It's a great forum with amazing information! well done to the owners and everyone keeping alive!

I'm relatively new to the offroad experience. My jeep is a 2008 3.0L CRD WK Overland, bought it in 2013, which is pretty much stock for now, except the ECU flash I got from a friend, about a year ago...

The reason I started this thread, is because I have a coulpe of dilemmas. First, I don't know what to do with my oem 18inch overland wheels. I bought it with brigdestone duellers on, that I used as summer tires (for winter I have a set of 17" ronins). After 30K kilometers they are in a bad shape, maybe good for another 5K, but I want to get rid of them... desperately!
Fact is, I don't like jeeps with summer tires. I prefer the 'wild look' of an a/t or mud tire. Is it worth to put bigger tires on 18" rim and what size? I know they ain't good for hitting the dirt, but I wanted to know if anyone has already done something similar... pics maybe? or should I just leave them and use the smaller rims?

And here is the second dilemma: I had my shocks checked and they were 50% down in output. especially the rear are more worn out... (I'm towing my boat from time to time, which is 2.5tons of a beast, so I think it has do with that ) my mind is going crazy to change them with something better (a set of coilovers) and get a small lift along the way, about 2.5cm (1inch). I did my search and mainly I see ppl using Bilstein and Old man products... Which one do you suggest for a daily driver, some offroad trips and sometimes towing a big load?

Sorry for the long post, I used to lower fast sportscars, I've never lifted one, so it's a bit of 'terra incognita'. By the way, on the stock 17" ronin rims I have Falken Wildpeaks tires which I love using on sand, mud and snow! here are some pictures...

img_0546.jpg   img_0542_1.jpg   img_0665.jpg  
2008 WK Overland 3.0L CRD
1992 Mazda RX-7 FD3S
stoned156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.