Need some advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need some advise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Jeeping Joe

Need some advise

I have a 2006 with a 5.7 Hemi. Last week it over heated, never got to the red but it smoked like crazy.
The water in the reservoir was a chocolate milky color for some time before the over heat.
The radiator was cracked at the bottom and we replaced the radiator.
To move the car I put it in Neutral with the key in the on position, left key in the on position for several hours while radiator was changed.
This is what happened next:
1. Engine would not start battery wear, replaced battery. Old battery was 5 years old, anyway.
2. Car started but would not idle, engine would shut off.
3. Checked oil, it was low so we added and started right up and kept idling.
4. Engine started to miss fire badly. Changed all the plugs, the old plugs in cylinder #7 were bent.
5. After checking extensively #7 cylinder was not firing, with white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Codes were P0300 and P2320
6. I said must be a blown head gasket.
7. I call the dealer and asked how much is a head gasket replacement? Took my name and checked my records said about $1,500.
8. I drive the truck to the dealer a 25 minute drive. Truck smoked (white smoke) for about the first 10 minutes then stopped.
9. Could not go past 35 MPH truck would miss fire really badly, and shake the truck.
10. Left it at the dealer for a day and a half they called and said “you have a blown head gasket”, you need to change it, and the head may be bad as well, could be bad valve on cylinder #7.
11. Gives me an estimate of $2,100 for both head gaskets and maybe $800 for a new head. About $3,000 + to repair.
12. With 177,000 miles on the truck, the service manager asked if I would want to trade in and get a new one.
13. Dealer offered $3,000 for truck as is. I look at the brand new 2014 and took for a test drive; it’s sweet, real sweet.
14. I kind of get the feeling I am being pushed into a new car. This 2006 is in excellent condition I have tried to maintain it well oil changes every 5,000 miles, new tries just 2 months ago, changed filters etc…………
15. So my dilemma is does it really sound like a head gasket? Or could it be an easier fix? The # 7 spark plug (new) did not show signs of firing. All the others are firing. Also there was some oil on the #7 plug as well. I guess I could just tear it down and rebuild the engine for kicks but might be an ongoing project.
Thanks for the advice in advance……………….

Jeeping Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

Tell them to give you $5k and you will take the deal. It does sound like a blown gasket tho
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeping Joe View Post
14. I kind of get the feeling I am being pushed into a new car.
Of course you are!!! Instead of $3,000 of your money, they get 7-10x that much!
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

I say fix it and forget getting the new one. I love my 06 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I will rebuild the entire Jeep when it starts to go.
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Jeeping Joe

To continue the story ................
Had a mechanic take the heads off and low and behold the #7 piston and cylinder was chewed up. So a new engine was needed.............. When the engine over heated the vale seat warped causing the valve not to place properly and then mangle the piston and cylinder, I understand its a common problem for the Hemi 5.7, I even reached out to Jeep and complained but got no were, 177,000 miles were on the truck.
So after months and months of deciding what to do...............I got the engine replaced by the Dealer (Had the best price) that is a story into it's self. They blew the first motor they put in (#4 cylinder got chewed up) and nearly the 2nd one they put in (bad oil pump) it was in the shop for nearly 2-1/2 months but I finally got it back a week ago, and could not be more happy. The original engine was a 5.7 short block the new one is a Long Block (any one know the difference?) a few ponies were added as a result, this baby is very fast......... I now have a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. New engine (Mopar rebuild), intake manifold, exhaust manifold, water pump, alternator, and all the recall notices, clayed and polished. Last night I started to change the lights in the A/C Unit and the rest of the blown ones in the console. Getting right back into shape but it did cost me a few bucks to do........Boys and their toys
Jeeping Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.