Need help setting up sub and amp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need help setting up sub and amp

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Fulcher88

Need help setting up sub and amp

I have a 2005 limited wk with a hemi. I have the navigation head unit with the boston acoustic sound system. Will some explain to me how I wire the amp? I tried the other night and couldn't get the remote wire to power the amp on. I had tried wiring the remote wire to the fuse box under the hood to several different fuses including the radio/navi. Any help would b much appreciated. Its a jl audio 500/1v2 amp. And a jl audio w6 sub

Fulcher88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok... so im guessing you split off the door speakers for the input signal to your amp right?

The remote power line needs i believe 12v for the signal. Take a voltage tester and find a switch or something that gets a constant 12v only when the power is on to the vehicle.

I know your amp has a built in filter, but those never work all that great. If you can, get a hi-lo converter and swap the connection to an RCA. Really without re-wiring the entire car and a new head unit, the bass wont be all that amazing. It will be better than stock, but not by a huge amount. Also the kicker upgrade for the jeeps seem to be a great upgrade if you already have the Bose system. Unfortunately for me, I do not... so re-wiring the whole thing is my only option lol.
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Fulcher88

Can u give me an idea on where to tap the remote wire into?
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
CoreyZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I havent torn into my jeep yet, so no. I would just suggest testing switches for the right voltage.
Colorado Jeep Club member #217
CoreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Fulcher88

What do u mean by right voltage? Just that it turns on me when car does and off when off?
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
WK-916

remote wire doesn't need to be fused.... only Pos+ batt cable...

Run a POS+ to amp

Run NEG- from amp to ground

Run remote wire from headunit to Amp

Done
WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
WK-916

You can go to a stereo shop and get a "plug" or adapter to plug right into stock wiring specific for your vehicle
WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
JMorash
2005 WK 

All you have to do, is remove the dash pieces and get at the pos + wire that runs into the drivers side cigarette lighter, that one turns on with the car. Works like a charm. Go to radio shack or online and purchase a T-tap connector, it allows you to tap your remote wire into the existing cig wire, without cutting it. Easy to do, you just crimp it on.

My names Josh. Car Audio and Home automation is my Business.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
JMorash
2005 WK 

If you need advice on how to remove all that stuff. Its really easy, you have to start with the shifter bezel, that crome piece, pry it up, then the rest all pops off like legos.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
kingpin57

Rather than doing any splicing and running your amp off hi-level speaker inputs, I recommend getting the
PAC-Audio add an amp unit for your jeep. I have it installed in mine. It gives you two sets (front&rear) RCA outputs, and a Remote Out wire. It's only about $90, and plugs in behind the radio.

Black WK Club Member #33
kingpin57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.