Need Help with Differential Whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need Help with Differential Whine

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
fgocards
2005 WK 

Need Help with Differential Whine

Okay so my Jeep has a whine it gets above 45mph that gets really loud around 60-65 and only makes the noise when you step on the gas pedal.

Ex:

It sounds exactly like that. Anyway I thought it was the rear diff so I changed the fluid and didn't noise any pitting or wear. There was also no metal shavings in the oil either so I don't THINK that it is the rear diff but I could very well be wrong.

My question is, could it be the front? It sounds loud in the cabin but I didn't think it could be the front because as far as I knew you only use the front differential in 4x4 mode.

If not I'll have the have the back rebuilt, and IDK how much that costs... Anyone know?

Either way this sucks and sorry I'm ranting but I also have the replace the bushing on the front differential because I'm getting that oh-so-famous "CLUNK" when I switch from Park to R to D, etc...

Any help appreciated, thanks!

fgocards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Did you clean your TB lately. Just thinking that it may be loos. Just a thought.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
fgocards
2005 WK 

Yeah I did clean my TB, but I don't think it's that because it only makes the noise around 45+ mph. I don't hear it when I rev the engine in neutral.
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
CRD4ME2
2008 WK 

First, a bump for you.

Second, several eons ago, my 1996 Grand Cherokee had a similar problem. Whining between certain speeds (about 55-65MPH), accelerating *or* decelerating, but *not* coasting. I believe the Jeep dealer ultimately replaced the front differential.
I know virtually nothing about modern Jeeps, and so I assume your drivetrain is significantly different than what mine was. Still, just thought you'd like to know.
I'm curious to hear your solution.
Ken
CRD4ME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgocards View Post
Okay so my Jeep has a whine it gets above 45mph that gets really loud around 60-65 and only makes the noise when you step on the gas pedal.

Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK8zAAw4AA

It sounds exactly like that. Anyway I thought it was the rear diff so I changed the fluid and didn't noise any pitting or wear. There was also no metal shavings in the oil either so I don't THINK that it is the rear diff but I could very well be wrong.

My question is, could it be the front? It sounds loud in the cabin but I didn't think it could be the front because as far as I knew you only use the front differential in 4x4 mode.

If not I'll have the have the back rebuilt, and IDK how much that costs... Anyone know?

Either way this sucks and sorry I'm ranting but I also have the replace the bushing on the front differential because I'm getting that oh-so-famous "CLUNK" when I switch from Park to R to D, etc...

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Your jeep is basically all wheel drive so the front diff is always turning , so yes it could be front or rear .you seem to have it down , but here's what the manual says about diagnosing gear noise , not so much front-rear but gears ,pinion , axle bearing in general . maybe you can narrow it down further yourself a bit .

GEAR NOISE
Axle gear noise can be caused by insufficient lubricant, incorrect backlash, tooth contact, worn/damaged gears or
the carrier housing not having the proper offset and squareness.
Gear noise usually happens at a specific speed range. The noise can also occur during a specific type of driving
condition. These conditions are acceleration, deceleration, coast, or constant load.
When road testing, first warm-up the axle fluid by driving the vehicle at least 5 miles and then accelerate the vehicle
to the speed range where the noise is the greatest. Shift out-of-gear and coast through the peak-noise range. If the
noise stops or changes greatly:
Check for insufficient lubricant.
Incorrect ring gear backlash.
Gear damage.
Differential side gears and pinions can be checked by turning the vehicle. They usually do not cause noise during
straight-ahead driving when the gears are unloaded. The side gears are loaded during vehicle turns. A worn pinion
mate shaft can also cause a snapping or a knocking noise.
BEARING NOISE
The axle shaft, differential and pinion bearings can all produce noise when worn or damaged. Bearing noise can be
either a whining, or a growling sound.
Pinion bearings have a constant-pitch noise. This noise changes only with vehicle speed. Pinion bearing noise will
be higher pitched because it rotates at a faster rate. Drive the vehicle and load the differential. If bearing noise
3 - 56 FRONT AXLE - C200F WK
occurs, the rear pinion bearing is the source of the noise. If the bearing noise is heard during a coast, the front
pinion bearing is the source.
Differential bearings usually produce a low pitch noise. Differential bearing noise is similar to pinion bearing noise.
The pitch of differential bearing noise is also constant and varies only with vehicle speed.
Axle shaft bearings produce noise and vibration when worn or damaged. The noise generally changes when the
bearings are loaded. Road test the vehicle. Turn the vehicle sharply to the left and to the right. This will load the
bearings and change the noise level. Where axle bearing damage is slight, the noise is usually not noticeable at
speeds above 30 mph.
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
fgocards
2005 WK 

Thanks for the replies guys. I narrowed it down to the rear diff... It is bad pinion and carrier bearings. Got quoted at a local shop for $600, $350 for labor, and $250 for parts. This sucks...
Unread 09-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
gamma500
2005 WK 

How many miles on your 05 WK ?
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Try a dealership. Might be cheaper there. I don't think mine was that expensive when mine was making noise, but it was covered under warranty.
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgocards
Thanks for the replies guys. I narrowed it down to the rear diff... It is bad pinion and carrier bearings. Got quoted at a local shop for $600, $350 for labor, and $250 for parts. This sucks...
That's cheap but make sure they do the pinion seal too because its known to leak mine was just done under my extended warranty and they had to pay about 1100 for it
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
fgocards
2005 WK 

There is 136K on it. I trust my local shop because they're ASE certified and labor is only $60 an hour instead of the dealers $120-$150 an hour.

Is it possible my rear diff problems could be affected by the bad bushings around the front diff? It just seems so weird to me that my diff could be bad but the oil was clean and there was zero pitting and wear on the gears...
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
98cherokeeJeep

man u fix ur problem...i just replaced my rear diff to find out it was my front that was bad...what a PITA...Oh well i have a better rear end now atleast..I got the same noise and it is driving me insane..Its just wreckers that carry jeep stuff by my place charged an arm and a leg for my rear diff it was $600. I bet they want the same for the front as well
98cherokeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Telefoto

I had gear whine in my '06 Commander's rear diff at about the same mileage.

Went round and round with a couple recommended transmission shops who basically couldn't tell me what it was til they got it open for a LOT of money and then would go from there. Coulda been a shim kit ($$), could be new pinion gear ($$$$$). I don't doubt their competence or sincerity at all, btw.

Went to a good dealer here and an experienced tech drove it and knew exactly what it was -- worn shims were causing the gears to interact differently, causing the whine. He emphatically said it was NOT the pinion gear (which is the big enchilada as far as expense and availability go, $600 iirc.)

So I bit that bullet and went with the dealer as they clearly had a better handle on the situation. It was indeed 'just' a shim kit and rebuild of the rear diff.

Around $1100 later I had a silent drivetrain that has stayed that way up til now at 161,000 miles, so about $200 more than predicted by the independents but a sure thing from the dealer in this case.

My Commander hasn't been expensive and I don't begrudge it that work...now, the rusted out oil pan, that was a bit harder to take!

Craig
Telefoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.