Need help with Blower Motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need help with Blower Motor

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Oklanrs
2006 XK Commander 

Need help with Blower Motor

Ok My AC on my 2006 Jeep Commander went out smelled something burning fan was making noise then I got nothing.Took to dealer they charged me 80 bucks and told me my blower motor was out and going to be 405 bucks to fix it. I can not afford that (single mom 3 kids) so upon reading it seems this is a very easy fix. Took panel from under glove box off and yep i see a blower motor but doesnt look like picture the other person posted. Mine has a green and black wire connecting to middle. How do I change this thing out. I called autozone and the part is 150 bucks. 405 dollars seriously???? I may be a nurse and not a mechanic but I am not dumb!!! Can anyone out there help me??

Oklanrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
magneticred
2008 WK 

I have a GC and haven't had to do this, but I hope this is of some help.
Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 2 minutes before working on the car so as to reduce the likelyhood of the airbag hurting you.

From the GC shop manual:

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
Remove the instrument panel silencer from the passenger side of the instrument panel.
Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
Disconnect the blower motor wire harness connector.
Remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the HVAC housing.
Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.
INSTALLATION - do the reverse.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...istor-1068294/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...sistor-926185/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...repair-895940/

Jeep Commander Heater Blower Motor with Fan Cage FRONT at 1AAuto.com.
magneticred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

Thanks very much for all the savvy in this forum.

I am in the midst of trying to troubleshoot a dead blower motor before the Jeep dealer closes at Noon so I can get parts. I may start a new thread with overlap of information in desparation to get parts today.

I got down to the resistor and wiring, thanks to the great info in this thread. I have jumped power to the blower motor and it's good. The resistor seems good according to the ohmmeter.

I have a hot to the blower motor, but no ground. The insulator around the D pin is toasted pretty bad, but I think the connector socket metal is okay. I get no ground at that point and no ground at the light blue wire going to the blower motor itself.

It APPEARS that the next place I need to go is the A/C Heater Control but I don't know how to get access to it. Any help with instructions for that access will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get this thing fixed before my daughter gets back from her trip so she doesn't have to freeze to death to get home about 120 miles from here.

I will be doing some searching elsewhere for disassembly info for the heater control.

Thanks very much to all.

Doc
MBDiagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

If the insulator's toasted, the blower's almost certainly drawing too many amps and needs to go. Any fix you can manage with it still there will just be undone down the road.

For an '05 WK, getting the heater controls out is relatively easy. WKJeeps has a guide with photos.
Unread 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

Colin,

Thanks for the information and the link. I will try getting to the control as instructed in your link.

I just called the dealer and they said that there is a bulletion on an updated resistor and connector that is supposed to be the source of the overcurrent as opposed to the blower motor. I'm hesitant to buy that, but maybe I'll know more as I dig further.

Thanks a BUNCH!
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

I got to the controller and ordered a new controller and updated connector and resistor. I pick up the stuff this afternoon. I expect that I will have to remove the knobs to change it. Do the knobs simply pull off or is there a trick to it? I haven't looked hard at the knobs yet.

Thanks again for all the help.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
MBDiagMan
2005 WK 

Just for the record, in case someone is searching for information and found my question above, the control unit comes with knobs and everything ready to simply bolt in place and connect the wiring harness.

In this early model there was a Technical Bulletin that showed upgraded blower resistor and connector. Evidently the resistances were wrong allowing too much current. In our case it took out the Control Unit on the dash board. The high speed pin on the resistor connector was burnt and it took out the heater control.

Once I got information here on how to disassemble everything it was a quick fix. Had I not had this site for information I probably would have destroyed the glove box and dash board getting it all done. I feel quite confident that I could do this in much less than an hour now that I've learned how it all snaps apart.

I hope this helps someone along the way and thanks a bunch to all on this great forum that offered assistance.

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 01-20-2011 at 06:31 AM..
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
mrnavy2
2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneticred View Post
I have a GC and haven't had to do this, but I hope this is of some help.
Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 2 minutes before working on the car so as to reduce the likelyhood of the airbag hurting you.

From the GC shop manual:

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
Remove the instrument panel silencer from the passenger side of the instrument panel.
Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
Disconnect the blower motor wire harness connector.
Remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the HVAC housing.
Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.
INSTALLATION - do the reverse.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...istor-1068294/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...sistor-926185/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...repair-895940/

Jeep Commander Heater Blower Motor with Fan Cage FRONT at 1AAuto.com.
You think thise will be the same as on a 08 XK Limited??
mrnavy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Fronzig
2006 XK Commander 

XK Blower Repairs up, thnx for info

I will be trying out this info this week on my 06 LTD, thanks for posts. Also in PHX... need that A/C. Random thought: I hate all the plastic.
Fronzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Fronzig
2006 XK Commander 

06 Commander Blower Motor & Resistor

Instructions were perfect, the only thing for the 2006 Commander is that the resistor is (on the book at Autozone anyway) the 2008 Commander. I pulled it and it looked fine so signs of damage, I plugged a new one in and no AC. I moved on to the Blower motor. I dropped the blower motor and again the instructions were fine. The Motor was seized and when I gave it turn the crunching noises from inside, Yikes. 75 dollar motor on order and I can't wait to see if this fixes it!
jeeprepair.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Fronzig
2006 XK Commander 

2006 Commander Blower Motor fixed!

1aauto.com part 75.22 final bill, for the AC repair job.! Thank you JeepForum.
Unread 10-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #12
CEL
2006 XK Commander 

Need help with blower motor

All info was great to help diagnose...had similar symptoms in 06' Commander. Heater & AC wld work on high only & a horrible loud humming sound. Priced out resistor at $90 bucks / pig tail wld have been $50. Luckily after taking the glovebox apart and pulling the blower motor resistor I noticed no damage, no burnt wiring. I still unplugged it and blew off the debre. I then unscrewed the bottom of the dash below the glovebox and took off 3 screws to open the bottom of the blower and there was a DEAD MOUSE inside stuck to the side. Removed the mouse & put everything back together and shazam! It works on all 4 levels & sound is gone. Cost of fix...$0. Thank everyone!
CEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEL View Post
All info was great to help diagnose...had similar symptoms in 06' Commander. Heater & AC wld work on high only & a horrible loud humming sound. Priced out resistor at $90 bucks / pig tail wld have been $50. Luckily after taking the glovebox apart and pulling the blower motor resistor I noticed no damage, no burnt wiring. I still unplugged it and blew off the debre. I then unscrewed the bottom of the dash below the glovebox and took off 3 screws to open the bottom of the blower and there was a DEAD MOUSE inside stuck to the side. Removed the mouse & put everything back together and shazam! It works on all 4 levels & sound is gone. Cost of fix...$0. Thank everyone!
CEL - I guess you got lucky
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
06Command
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the help. these pictures walked me through at ease. Thanks again. I had only 3 leaves in the blower and I still have a wobble at lowest fan setting. I will replace for 50 bucks.
06Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
Fronzig
2006 XK Commander 

after i dropped my blower motor and turned it by hand, chunks of plastic fell out... lol - mine was toasted and it was obvious. one thing however... I appear to have no control anymore... it seems to be on full time and controls make no difference for on or off... hmmmm anyway I can live with hear and a/c anyone seen this.. is there another part to change along with the blower motor?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.