need help with 3.0 crd p0046 code! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
jjperform

need help with 3.0 crd p0046 code!

i have a grand with the 3.0 mercedes diesel. keeps throwing the p0046 code and i cant get it to clear. intermittienly throws over/under boost pressure codes. just had the boost control actuator rebuilt by xs turbo and didnt help. supposed to be leaving on a trip with it in a few days. any help is appreciated! thanks justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Have you tried unplugging the actuator and make sure you get it plugged all the way it? Sounds silly but you never know. There has been one guy I remember who got a rebuilt actuator and kept having problems and it ended up being that the rebuilt actuator actually had a problem with it. Since you're actually getting the p0046 code still I'd venture it has to be either the wiring harness/plug or the actuator is still fubar. That'd be my guess.

xsboost has a 1 year warranty on their units, so it would be worth it in my mind to send it back to them again. That's what I'd do. Not sure how far your trip is or when exactly you're leaving, but when I was having this problem with mine I ended up renting a car when I had to take a trip that was a few hundred miles. It really sucks trying to drive on the highway in limp mode...

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
jjperform

ive tired unplugging and replugging. ive checked the wiring the best i can with no luck. i was able to actually clear all the codes this morning with it completely cooled down but after driving 15 miles the p0046 came back along with a p0234 over boost code. now that its warmed up the p0046 code wont clear again. supposed to be driving from ohio to wyoming on fri night. im starting to look at rental cars...
post #4 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
jjperform

replaced boost pressure sensor and intake air temp sensor this morning and still doing the same thing. has anyone had this issue before?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 PM
CRD Owner
2007 WK 

I had this same problem. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand CRD with approx. 88K on it. It started going into limp mode, with the throttle light on. I then got code P0299 and P0046, and P0675. What was really wierd was the Jepp would run perfectly when cold, but after it was warm, and it sat warm for a little bit, it would malfunction. While it was malfunctioning, you could clear the codes, and as soon as you turned the key on, you would get P0046. This is the code telling you the Turbo Boost Actuator is not sending the proper voltages to the PCM.

I sent my Acutator to XS TurboChargers, and they rebuilt it (basically new gearbox). Got it back, installed it, no change, good while cold, limp when hot. You cannot buy a new actuator from Garret, you have to buy a new turbo, that comes with a new actuator. SO $1650 later, I put on the new actuator, and my problem went away and has not returned. I now have a spare turbo in the off chance that the turbo goes bad.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM
segona
2007 XK Commander 

hi
I was wondering where you bought your new turbo from ?
could you please let me know ? here in Korea they want me to pay about $ 7,000 for whole turbo assembly now ..
thank you for reading ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post
I had this same problem. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand CRD with approx. 88K on it. It started going into limp mode, with the throttle light on. I then got code P0299 and P0046, and P0675. What was really wierd was the Jepp would run perfectly when cold, but after it was warm, and it sat warm for a little bit, it would malfunction. While it was malfunctioning, you could clear the codes, and as soon as you turned the key on, you would get P0046. This is the code telling you the Turbo Boost Actuator is not sending the proper voltages to the PCM.

I sent my Acutator to XS TurboChargers, and they rebuilt it (basically new gearbox). Got it back, installed it, no change, good while cold, limp when hot. You cannot buy a new actuator from Garret, you have to buy a new turbo, that comes with a new actuator. SO $1650 later, I put on the new actuator, and my problem went away and has not returned. I now have a spare turbo in the off chance that the turbo goes bad.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Owner View Post

Did you send the actuator back to XS boost to have them rebuild it again? They have a 1 year warranty. IMO, you just wasted alot of money.

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC
2009 Rav4 v6
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
jjperform

I ended up having to buy a new turbo from xs boost also. The problem was still in the actuator that I had xs rebuild. When the rebuild the actuator the just basically rebuild the gears. If the problem is in the circuit board they can NOT repair it. I shipped the rebuilt module back to them a week ago and I'm still waiting on them to reimburse me for it.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2015, 05:32 PM
nickracing

Ending ??

How ending this story ?

I had the same problem. Got my actuator rebuilt by XSTurbo and still limp mode and P0299 when engine is warm, but in morning with cold engine (43 deg.F., Quebec, Canada) the engine had a great boost.

I think I will check to have the actuator circuit board tested by a friend. Maybe a resistor...

??

thanks Nick
post #10 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
jjperform

I had to replace the actuator but couldn't get it by itself so I had to buy a new turbo to get one. The new module fixed my problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.