Need amp! Can i put 20" wheels on my Overland?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Need amp! Can i put 20" wheels on my Overland??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
bdavidson024
2008 WK 

Need amp! Can i put 20" wheels on my Overland??

So, i was able to get online and figure out how to rip apart the interior trim to get to my amp. I took my jeep in to the stereo place and the guy says my amp needs replaced and that it has to be replaced with the same factory amp. i looked on ebay and only found ONE. it was 340.00!!! does anyone have one for sale or know how i can find one for cheaper?? they idea crossed my mind to go find a grand cherokee in a junk yard and pull out an amp from one, but then i started to wonder...i have an overland and am not sure if the laredo or even the limited models have the same amp in them....i figure it would be hard to find an Overland edition. HELP PLEASE!!

Also, i have posted about this before but didnt get any responses...has anyone put wheels on their overland?? how big? there is a "pinch point" in the front wheel well and doesnt allow for much room...i am a new jeep owner and am just trying to get my jeep how i want it and keep running into different issues...im not sure if its just because i got the overland edition or what...

Thanks yall!!

bdavidson024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

You can mod the pinch weld if it becomes an issue. 20" wheell fit fine, though I'd imagine you will want tires on your wheels also, and there is a limit to how large you can go there. 31"+ starts to rub.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
rollindom

2005 WK 

You can run a 22" wheel on a WK with a 265/35-22 tire. 20"wheels aren't a problem either just stay under 9" wide with a 275/45-20 tire. A good example is the SRT8 comes with a 20" by 9" on the front but can accommodate a 10" wide out back.

As for the Overland it isn't really a big upgrade over a Limited. The suede inserts, wheels and other small touches but electronics and mechanics are typically the same. You can find those amps a dime a dozen in wrecking yards across the US. Just make sure it has (had) the same head unit yours had. Being an Overland I'm guessing you had the Boston Acoustics system and REC navigation/changer head unit. So check for Limiteds or Overlands and you should find a compatible amp. The SRT8 did have an available Kicker sound system upgrade which uses a different amp so I personally would limit my search to just Limited or Overlands. This is the info to the best of my knowledge and can be worth what you paid for it. I just know how it can suck when nobody replies when you ask for help. But I just recently did an upgrade on my WK sound system so all this info is still fresh in my head. Here is a picture of the amp from WKJEEPS.com. Good luck with your search.

image-2378522118.jpg
rollindom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
bdavidson024
2008 WK 

Thanks guys! more questions to come im sure! lol
bdavidson024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.