Need advice on a replacement transfer case - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
ThatGuyInTX

Need advice on a replacement transfer case

Hello all,

greetings from the new guy. Set up, 2007 GC with QD-II. Completely stock still.

Yesterday, what I suspect was the transfer case decided to crater. Don't know exactly what could have caused it, but something happened and it caused the CV joint to the front drive shaft to explode and spit out the shaft.

The front drive still turns at the transfer case, but the rear drive is a no-go. Absolutely nothing.

Just to check, I have shifted the transfer case into neutral and 4-low. All motors seem to be working as you can hear them. I know it is not a guarantee, but I have to assume a little.

So, long story to get to here: under the assumption my transfer case is gone, I've been looking across the internet for a replacement, however, I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. Seems like it should be simple to find another NV245 case. Nope.

I see several different part numbers out there, and even variations of model.

Example of model variation - X2451, X245M, X2451M, X2452M, etc

Part number variation - 52853391AA, 52853391AB, 52853391AC, R2105904AD, 52105703AA, etc.

I'm sure it is likely something simple that I'm missing, but I don't want to purchase the wrong part.

I'm trying to avoid going to a shop as me and a friend can do a swap ourselves.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated, and rookie hazing expected as well.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM
keggles

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInTX View Post
Hello all,

greetings from the new guy. Set up, 2007 GC with QD-II. Completely stock still.

Yesterday, what I suspect was the transfer case decided to crater. Don't know exactly what could have caused it, but something happened and it caused the CV joint to the front drive shaft to explode and spit out the shaft.

The front drive still turns at the transfer case, but the rear drive is a no-go. Absolutely nothing.

Just to check, I have shifted the transfer case into neutral and 4-low. All motors seem to be working as you can hear them. I know it is not a guarantee, but I have to assume a little.

So, long story to get to here: under the assumption my transfer case is gone, I've been looking across the internet for a replacement, however, I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. Seems like it should be simple to find another NV245 case. Nope.

I see several different part numbers out there, and even variations of model.

Example of model variation - X2451, X245M, X2451M, X2452M, etc

Part number variation - 52853391AA, 52853391AB, 52853391AC, R2105904AD, 52105703AA, etc.

I'm sure it is likely something simple that I'm missing, but I don't want to purchase the wrong part.

I'm trying to avoid going to a shop as me and a friend can do a swap ourselves.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated, and rookie hazing expected as well.

Thanks.
On your current transfer case next to the TC Shift Motor is a circular metal tag that has the model/part numbers you are looking for. Easiest way to grab it was take a picture. I got mine off rockauto with a good core. You'll find a lot of variances with the spline number, with/without the shift motor, and I think input/output shafts. I ended up with Transmission Authority as the brand.

I'm a nut, but not just a nut.
08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

IF your case is bad, check out LKQ through an auto shop. They have good warranties. I'm happy with their crate hemi engine

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains

post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Transfer case express is supposed to be good. They will refurb almost any typical production t-case. Either that or hit the junk yards.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

NV-245 is your case.

Will it still drive in 4-lo?

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
ThatGuyInTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
NV-245 is your case.

Will it still drive in 4-lo?
Nope.

When it went, it blew the front drive shaft out of the CV at the t-case, and the rear drive shaft won't turn. The front yoke still turns, but there is a bit of an air gap problem.

I've decided to let go of doing this one myself. It may be cheaper to rebuild the current one.

I just talked to a shop here in Houston. Gonna drag it over there on Friday. His first approach will be to break it open and loo rather than rebuild.

Last night, I did figure out some of those number differences though while getting the part numbers from it.

One is a Chrysler part number (52853391AB), while the other is the manufacturer part number (52105703AB). That explains those, but I'm still wondering about all those model number differences.

I can understand differing splines making them a different model, but a greater number of splines didn't come from the factory as far as I can tell. Maybe these are for common aftermarket upgrades?

Thanks for commenting on the newbie thread everyone
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2017, 04:19 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that was addressed as the front driveshaft does fail and you'll lose all drive except in 4lo (emergency only).

Best of luck to you

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.