Need advice on buying a 2007 CRD WK w/ 75k miles - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

Need advice on buying a 2007 CRD WK w/ 75k miles

Hello Everyone,
I have a few questions about the 2007 CRD WK. I am looking at buying a vehicle to take the family camping way way out. I think the WK would make an ideal overlanding vehicle but I am concerned because now ever mentions it as one. Is there a reason? What is wrong with WK for overlanding?

I saw a posting for 2007 CRD WK w/ 75k miles. I took a look at it in person and found a few things.

*It is limited with QDII and and tow package. Everything else looked standard.

*The test drive went great. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Engine sounded good, drove and braked great.

*Everything under the car looked good that I could see (joints, no rust, nothing damaged/dented). I did not take off the plastic panel near the engine so I was limited looking for oil leaks and what not. I felt around best as I could for oil, but all I found was road dust/dirt.

*In the engine bay I saw some weeping near the turbo intake. The oil was very dark, I am not sure how normal it is for the CRD. The was some light damage to the lower radiator. I did not check the Tran-Fluid.

*He said it just had new tires shocks and brakes, but has no paper work for it. He put larger tires on, 245/70r17 vs stock 245/65r17.

*He is a private party and is asking $15.6K. A lot more than Blue Book. I don't think I can talk him down too much.

I would like advice on whether or not I should pass on this Jeep. It seams in good condition given everything. How rare of find would this be? Is it worth paying a more than BB?

I took some pictures but not sure how to post them.

https://goo.gl/photos/2Tj7XmEdLVvKasXu5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

Here are a few picts near the turbo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160421_110052.jpg   IMG_20160421_110122.jpg   IMG_20160421_110109.jpg  

Last edited by Angry_Shoe; 04-24-2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Playing with pictures.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Don't know what you mean by going "way out overland" with the rig. We have pulled our trailer about 30,000 since we bought the CRD in Dec. or 08. I've had all the typical CRD problems but we have only been semi-stranded once when the alternator went out while "way out" in the boonies of Idaho. We had to drive on battery power for about 600 miles to a dealer that would help us. (Took 3 days)

On one trip, we were in a place so remote that we did not see any other people for 5 days.

Here is a link that will tell you all of the typical issues to expect with the CRD but don't let it scare you.

https://conflictedracer.wordpress.co...erokee-diesel/

I'm still on my original front brakes.... so your rig having put in new brakes makes me wonder. I changed the back breaks at 112,000 miles.

I checked "Blue Book" and two different sites I tried did not list my rig.... an 07 CRD Limited with QDII.... so where are you getting your "Blue Book" value? QDII is wonderful.

In your pix, it looks like the oil cap seeps....that will ruin the alterator located below....happened to me at 57,000.

I would highly recommend the GDE tune... and fix the leak at the turbo intake for sure with Elephant Hose Mod.

Hope this helps.

I love mine!

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.

post #4 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

Overlanding is more or less making long trips in remote areas. Typically camping along the way. Link

I used KBB. I also put in the numbers @ Edmonds and NADA. All of them come in way less than the $15,600 he is asking.

I asked about the shocks and brakes. He said the service guy recommend them @ 70k miles. I was a little thrown off by it too.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM
unkle
2008 WK 

Inspect the valley between the heads.
Look for oil - pools of it which trickle down the back of the motor.

That will cost you a grand to 2 grand to fix .

It's the oil cooler - do a search.

Check for any repairs done/ by who / recheck for proper repairs.

Plug in a code reader in the OBD11 port for codes .

Spend money and get it inspected thoroughly by a good facility.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

I did a pretty thorough initial walk through. I did not see any pooled oil, but I also did not full remove the hose. He said he thinks the seal was replaced. The repairs have no record. He says he can't find them. When I showed him what I found so far and asked if he was willing to accept KBB price, he was very adamant about not lowering.

Are 2007 CRD WK worth over KBB?

If I go any further, I plan on taking it to a professional inspector.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 PM
btburn
2007 WK 

Garage
I bought my 07 last year for $15k with 68k miles. Loaded with everything except the dvd package, QDII. I love it, I second the GDE Eco tune. It makes it more responsive, less turbo lag and I gained 3+ mpg.
Sounds like a good deal.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 PM
unkle
2008 WK 

[QUOTE=Angry_Shoe;34983609]I did a pretty thorough initial walk through. I did not see any pooled oil, but I also did not full remove the hose.

Nope - this check requires a view of the valley between the heads under the intake.

The other check you mention reveals blow-by getting into the turbo intake tube and then into the turbo.

Both indicate very common problems with this diesel motor installed into a WK1.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by btburn View Post
I bought my 07 last year for $15k with 68k miles. Loaded with everything except the dvd package, QDII. I love it, I second the GDE Eco tune. It makes it more responsive, less turbo lag and I gained 3+ mpg.
Sounds like a good deal.
Did you buy from a dealer? Do you remember how the price you paid compared to bluebook? The GDE Eco tune sounds like a now brainier, I just wish it did not cost $700.

Hey, Thanks everyone for your help!
post #10 of 23 Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM
btburn
2007 WK 

Garage
I just knew that the local dealer wanted $21k for an 08 that didn't have QDII and fewer options so when I found an 07 with less miles, QDII more options I bought it. It was private party from a guy that restored old cars and was pretty meticulous about keeping it clean and serviced. I think blue book was a little more than what I paid but in Colorado there is a premium on Jeeps and Subarus, especially the diesels. I flew to Ohio to pick mine up. I sold my JK for it and don't regret it at all.
post #11 of 23 Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

For better or worse, none of the recalls have been taken care of. I see there is an issues with the recall breaking the 4low.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

You do NOT want to apply the recall to the final drive, it does break the 4 low.

The other issue with the oil leak in the intake seal which runs around $20 for the part direct from any merc. benz. dealer.

Of the 4x4 systems QDii is the best for remote.

Count on spending about $2000 for modifications (to avoid problems) and a GDE tune.
Likely issues are
wheel bearings front
r&r brakes
r&r front differential bushings
mod EGR
mod turbo intake seal
mod under battery harness
R&R glow plug module and plugs
r&r injector copper O-rings
r&r fuel filter
r&r thermostat and housing
r&r tire pressure sensors (they only last so long)

That is a few things to check for.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #13 of 23 Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

I made an offer near KBB Very Good, over a grand less than he was asking. The posting expired, and he has not reposted it. He still has not replied.
Wish me luck.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

OK.... Luck Luck Luck Luck!!

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-28-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Angry_Shoe

I didn't get it I guess it is a rare enough to demand over KBB.

Hope to join you guys soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.