NAV system override of lockout - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > NAV system override of lockout

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Bing

NAV system override of lockout

Anyone figure out an override for the 'safety' feature of the NAV system that prevents use of many functions over 15 mph?
When my wife is driving, I can't play with my GPS toy!
Is there a series of keypresses or a wire to cut?

Bing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
stephen

I am DEFINITELY interested in finding a solution for this. I have no ideas, but I wanted to reply so that I will be on the notification list for this thread
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Ivan-Jeep

[B]BING / STEPHEN, [B]

Have you guys figured out a override solution for the Nav system?
Ivan-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

Ain't gonna happen!

Been tryin' same thing on my Caddy for 2 years (100's of owners working on it) and no one has broken it yet.

Suspect same on the Jeep.
Unread 04-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
reedjohnson

What features are locked out? I am getting my factory GPS installed next week. Besides the lockout has the GPS been good? Thanks for your help!
reedjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
JeepFreak91

you would think that there would be a wire that tells it when the vehicle is going the speed that it locks out and just find a way to make it think its not moving at all
i dont know just a guess
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
cmd peej

Garmin GPS for the Commander...

While I can't definitely say I wouldn't have gone for the NAV option if the dealer had one on the lot with all the other goodies that I wanted, I knew there were acceptable portable GPS units that do the same job. My choice was the Garmin Nuvi 350. Very easy to use while driving and has the safety over-ride for more extensive programing by the co-pilot while cruising at any speed.

Below are some pictures of the build-up of the unit in my Commander. The holder is from Proclipusa.com.

cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
boltsnnuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

I would have done the same thing but I have always wanted everything to be integrated into the jeep commander as opposed to a bunch of "external" things. If I wanted to add a radar detector (legal in our state), + third party GPS + Rear camera, my entire console would have so many things jutting out from it. Never mind if you had external Sirius radio.

Unfortunately, the rear camera I wish they had integrated within the center console but oh well. Can't have it all.
boltsnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
bigo281

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
you would think that there would be a wire that tells it when the vehicle is going the speed that it locks out and just find a way to make it think its not moving at all
i dont know just a guess

gps can calculate its own speed so it does not need additional speed sensor..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.