Nav System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Nav System

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Jmar8

Nav System

I just bought an '05 Limited with the Nav system, but it's missing the disc. I bought the vehicle at auction and "borrowed" a disc from another '05, but I couldn't get the disc to work so I put it back. What is the best source for the disc I need? Is there a difference between the software disc & the update disc?

Also, how does the system receive updates? Is it necessary to keep buying new discs to get the most current info?

Thanks for any info you might have.

Last edited by Jmar8; 02-27-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Jmar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Unless yours are different to ours yes you do have to keep buying discs and the upgrade discs and software discs are the same thing.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

Navteq released the most current version 'AF' about a week ago. You can buy the disc from them and it will have the most current software and map data.

I can't imagine why the disc you 'borrowed' didn't work - it's possible that there is a problem with your nav unit.
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
airportdave
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WKLtd View Post
I can't imagine why the disc you 'borrowed' didn't work - it's possible that there is a problem with your nav unit.
Starting with the AD version of the disc (I think), discs are not backward-compatible. If you've loaded an AD, AE, or AF version into your Nav, you can't go back and use a previous version disc- destination entry and several other features won't work if you do. I just loaded the AF into my GC, and have noted several map/street/business updates in my area of Colorado, including (at last!) the correction of a 1/4 mile location error of all of the streets in my town. I haven't noticed any functional changes.
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

I think you are on the right track, but not 100% correct.

As I understand it, starting with the AE disc, the firmware can not be reverted to a previous version by inserting the disc. Meaning that if you insert an AE disc, then insert an AD disc, it will not load the firmware from the AD disc.

That being said, you should be able to use an older disc in a unit that has newer firmware - you'll just have older map data.
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
airportdave
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WKLtd View Post
That being said, you should be able to use an older disc in a unit that has newer firmware - you'll just have older map data.
After I installed the AE disc in the REC radio in both my Durango and my GC, I inserted the older AD disc, and the map and POI data and did not work. After putting in the older AD disc, the unit showed and updated the moving map display, but the unit didn't have full functionality. When I attempted to enter a destination, none of the entry options (city, state, phone number, place type/name, etc.) were available, at least in my two REC units. WK- have you actually tried reverting to an older disc with a different result? My interest is piqued because I've been selling my old discs since they no longer worked for me. If so, maybe you have a newer version REC radio.
Unread 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

I'll certainly defer to your actual experience doing it, as I've only read about it.....

Although, the App Ver on AE was 02.04.00. My REC came from the factory with 02.05.10 loaded onto the unit itself, but had a standard AE disc for map data, etc. Upon examination of the AE disc, it contained the 02.04.00 code. So even though my unit had a newer version of code than what was on the disc, it worked fine.
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Jmar8

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have ordered the newest version (AF) from navteq, and I have my fingers crossed. I tried going to 2 dealerships to borrow a nav disc from a pre-owned GC on the lot (just to verify the nav system is functional, but of course no one is interested in my problems, they just want to sell me a $300 disc.

I should probably post a new topic, but I'm wondering if my REC is Sirius satelite capable. I have the main owners manual, but no supplement versions that the manual refers to. Are all REC's capable, or is there an easy way to tell if mine is?

Thanks again
Jmar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
airportdave
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar8 View Post
I should probably post a new topic, but I'm wondering if my REC is Sirius satelite capable. I have the main owners manual, but no supplement versions that the manual refers to. Are all REC's capable, or is there an easy way to tell if mine is?

Thanks again
All REC's are Sirius capable. If you get the factory Mopar Sirius kit, it is a direct plug into the back of the REC radio, and the screen will display song, artist and channel info. I added the REC radio and factory Sirius set up to my GC after I purchased it. It's all plug and play- the whole install took maybe two hours. I got my Sirius kit from Just for Jeeps dot com.

The hardest part of the install was getting up the courage to drill the 3/4" hole for the antenna in the roof of my brand new Jeep!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.