NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change question. Overfilled? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change question. Overfilled?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change question. Overfilled?

I just checked my NAG1 transmission fluid using the 9336 dipstick and chart on page 21-349 of the service manual.

In neutral, Dashhawk says trans temp is 140. The chart says the level should be at 55mm.

The level is actually at 85mm.

Sooo, is it overfilled to begin with or is my dipstick off?

I'll measure the fluid that's removed and just put back in the same amount, unless the answers come back that it's overfilled.

70,000 miles, never been touched, checked, filled since new.

I'm just doing this for preventative maintenance. Never had trans troubles.

Nice to see though, that the fluid is still bright red.

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Interesting...
The book says that after a filter service, add 7.4 quarts of oil!!
No way! I only took out slightly less than 4 quarts.

I think that my original reading was taken the wrong way. After reading again, it says do it while the engine is running. I did it with the engine off.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I put in the same amount of oil that came out, slightly less than 4 quarts, NOT 7.4 quarts like the manual says. Ran it for a couple of minutes shifted through R, , D a couple of times. Checked the level with the engine running in P and checked the temp in D: the level is where the chart says it's supposed to be.

I may do a write-up with pics if there's enough interest.

Last edited by wookiee; 03-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: added temp check
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
JeepRevolution
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
Interesting...
The book says that after a filter service, add 7.4 quarts of oil!!
No way! I only took out slightly less than 4 quarts.

I think that my original reading was taken the wrong way. After reading again, it says do it while the engine is running. I did it with the engine off.
Thats because there is fluid in the torque converter. The proper way to do a full flush is much like bleeding the brakes. You let the tranny keep pumping fluid while you add new fluid in. Once the fluid starts to look new coming out, you reconnect the lines and check levels.

You just changed the fluid that was in the pan.
JeepRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Get this, the manual says to ...
a. add 7.4 quarts after a Fluid & Filter change.
b. If the torque converter was changed add 8.1 litres (8.6 quarts) The TC only holds 1.2qts, I don't think so.

Even if it was a misprint and should have been 4.7qts, it's still too much.

I wasn't doing a flush. I've read too many opinions against it.
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
merlinTec

Hi
Info I have is 5 quarts service fill, overhaul 8.1 in the quick reference chart but 5 litres in the service manual.
Just to make sure this is understood, you check the temp in drive or reverse and the level engine running in park.
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Info I have is 5 quarts service fill, overhaul 8.1 in the quick reference chart but 5 litres in the service manual.
Just to make sure this is understood, you check the temp in drive or reverse and the level engine running in park.
Right.
For some reason I just had it in my head not to put the stick in while the engine was running.

Funny though, 5 quarts would have been 1 quart too much. I would have had to suck that 1 quart out. I'm glad that I measured what came out and not just depended on what the book said.

I really like the gasket that is used, I wish they made something similar for the diffs.
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Wookie please do a write up when you get a chance.
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

I think it is wkjeeps.com that says 4-6 quarts. I just changed mine and here is what I did:

I have a drain plan and a pela 6000 extraction unit. The pela has 6 hash marks on it (1L each). After I drained into the empty pan I extracted the oil out of the pan to measure what I had taken out. Also remember that you will get a little extra when you pull the filter. I wound up putting 5.5 quarts back in after doing the unit conversion from liters to quarts.

You have to drive it and run through the gears and there is a procedure for checking it that should be listed in the same instructions as the chart. Anyone who needs it can email me and I will send to them (jpg files).

Unless you have a leak you shouldn't lose any trans fluid. By carefully measuring what you take out and putting the same amount back in....you should not need a scan tool to change your fluid and filter. It is a good idea to have one and check after though just in case you had a leak or a bad factory fill. Mine was right on using this method.

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
EvgeniySPB

i have absolutely the same oil level in transmission. Previous owner of my car did not touch transmission at all, but current level does not correspond oil level, mentioned in service manual. Anyway, it works ok and i'm not going to do anything...
EvgeniySPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
meep
2008 WK 

IIRC the most I can suck out from the top is 3.8 qts...
meep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
kamaksi
2007 WK 

even thought this is a MB it is still the NAG1 transmission and this guy has a series of pictures for the transmission oil change. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ion-fluid.html
kamaksi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.