N23 recall & transfer case issues-Check In-Log complaint, links inside! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 recall & transfer case issues-Check In-Log complaint, links inside!

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
hocke50
2005 WK 

My dealer just called and they have ordered a new actuator, and "should" cure the problem. Let you know next week when they install it.

hocke50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocke50 View Post
My dealer just called and they have ordered a new actuator, and "should" cure the problem. Let you know next week when they install it.
Just picked my Jeep up with the same outcome. The part is on national backorder.
2007 WK CRD, Bilstein 5100's set at .75" RC rear spacer, OME MD springs F/R. At 22" front 23" rear hub to fender. JBA control arms, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers, Fierce Attitude MT's, 4XGuard front skid, Full LED interior swap, 9012 low, 9011 high/driving light bulb swap. Swirl motor resistor mod, Front pinch weld mod...
Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
JeepinGirl15
2008 WK 

Recall Complaint Forms

I completed the forms. The Chrysler Dealership in my home town will not even redo the recall. They (Service Department) said they can't fix the problem because they "wouldn't be compensated for the labor by Chrysler." The dealer owner came out and said there are other complaints and that he is contacting Chrysler and suggests that we contact Chrysler as well.

Hopefully they listen to our complaints and fix the problem.
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocke50 View Post
Is Chrysler picking up the cost of the actuator, or under warranty or are you paying for the replacement?

I'm interested to hear from anyone out of warranty that has had the actuator replaced at no cost.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post

Is Chrysler picking up the cost of the actuator, or under warranty or are you paying for the replacement?

I'm interested to hear from anyone out of warranty that has had the actuator replaced at no cost.
I am out of warranty, Chrysler is paying for everything as a "Good Will". I applaud them, keep making them aware, the are finally listening.
2007 WK CRD, Bilstein 5100's set at .75" RC rear spacer, OME MD springs F/R. At 22" front 23" rear hub to fender. JBA control arms, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers, Fierce Attitude MT's, 4XGuard front skid, Full LED interior swap, 9012 low, 9011 high/driving light bulb swap. Swirl motor resistor mod, Front pinch weld mod...
Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #21
moabjeepr
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwi View Post
I am out of warranty, Chrysler is paying for everything as a "Good Will". I applaud them, keep making them aware, the are finally listening.
"Good Will" my a$$!! I have the documentation from the "defect information report for Chrysler Group LLC" that states on pg.2 dated Aug.28, 2013, and I quote:

573.6(c)(6): Chronology of Principal Events Leading to Determination of a Safety Defect

The warranty analysis was completed on October 11, 2012 and found cracks in the actuator circuit board traces that resulted in a biased (offset) position signal which could be incorrectly interpreted by the final drive controller.

Signed
Kristin J. Kolodge
Regulatory Affairs
Chrysler ....
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
wapnbp

After the N23 firmware update, we cannot shift transfer case into neutral or 4 wheel low without banging on the actuator, mopar part number 5143786AA which does not always work. We are not getting any "hard fault codes". The only message is "service 4 wheel drive system".

The jeep fix seems to be to replace the actuator which jeep calls a "fuel solenoid" ??? which is not available as there are 1,700 backordered???? We are in Az from Washigton until late Feb and if we can't get this fixed, we will need to drive the jeep rather than tow it behind the motorhome.

We have filed a case number with Jeep Customer Service and they said they will assign a case manager to it. Our local mechanic in Washington may have a lead on the part. The local Jeep dealer in Casa Grande, Az has put us off a week and a half to even look at the problem.

We found the following on the web related to this issue - looks like it's from Jeep:
Diagnostic Trouble Code C140F “Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance”
After Performing Recall N23
Discussion:
The Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) monitors the transfer case position sensor for two erratic
performance failures.
1. Position sensor drift to higher voltages during the drive cycle.
2. A difference between the encoder position value detected at first key on cycle compared to the
value stored into memory during the previous key off event.
Either failure mode will result in the setting of a permanent C140F fault. Once set, this fault will
remain active until the 4WD system is repaired. The “Service 4WD” indicator in the instrument cluster
will not illuminate when this fault sets until the customer attempts a range shift (between 4WD High
and 4WD Low, or Neutral).
Diagnosis:
1. Confirm the integrity of the Transfer Case shift motor wiring harness. Any circuit faults present
must be addressed prior to repairing the C140F fault. It is possible that both a C140F (Erratic
Encoder Performance Fault) and a C1405 fault (T-case range position sensor circuit high fault)
may be set due to the failure of the actuator. However, continuity of each circuit and checks
for short to ground and shorted circuit to circuit should be checked for each circuit of the TCase
interface.
2. Replace the actuator on the Transfer Case. Using the diagnostic tool, confirm that the position
sensor reading is 2.84 volts +/- 0.04. (FDCM / Read Write Data).
Parts Required:
AR (1) 05143786AA Actuator, Transfer Case
STAR Case
This document does not authorize warranty repairs. This communication documents a record of past experiences. STAR Center
Online does not provide any conclusions about what is wrong with the vehicle. Rather, it captures all previous cases known that appear
to be similar or related to the vehicle symptom / condition. You are the expert, and you are responsible for deciding on the appropriate
course of action.
Chrysler Group LLC Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found Version 05/23/13
NOTE: THE ACTUATOR IS SHIPPED IN THE PROPER 4WD HIGH RANGE LOCATION.
THE ACTUATION STUB SHAFT ON THE T-CASE (NOT THE ACTUATOR) NEEDS
TO BE INDEXED TO THE PROPER POSITION IN ORDER TO INSTALL THAT
ACTUATOR. DO NOT DRIVE THE SHIFT MOTOR WITH A BATTERY TO ALIGN
THE ACTUATOR POSITION WITH THE T-CASE POSITION. THE T-CASE
ACTUATOR STUB SHAFT SHOULD BE MOVED (CAREFULLY WITH CHANNEL
LOCK PLIERS) TO ALIGN WITH THE ACTUATOR.
Repair Procedure:
1. Replace the actuator. Refer to the procedures identified in the appropriate Service Information
for additional information.
2. Perform a key cycle (Key ON and then key OFF). Allow sufficient time for the FDCM and the
entire vehicle bus to go to sleep. To be sure the entire vehicle bus to go to sleep, disconnect
all diagnostic tools from the vehicle, turn off the key, and remove key from the ignition. Close
all doors. Wait 5 minutes.
3. After performing the key cycle, DO NOT attempt to shift the transfer case using the customer
switch. This will prevent the C140F fault from clearing later.
4. Re-connect the diagnostic tool and cycle the key ON.
5. Select the FDCM, and issue the clear faults command two times. It is required to issue the
clear faults command twice.
6. After approximately 6 seconds, the C140F fault will de-mature to a “Stored” status. Confirm
that the diagnostic tool reports that the C140F fault is in a stored status (not “Active”). If after
30 seconds the fault is not in a stored status, return to step 3 and try again.
7. Once the C140F fault is in a stored status, perform one additional “Clear Faults” command.
This will completely remove the fault from the FDCM memory and return the 4WD system to
an operational status.
8. Perform a T-Case range shift to confirm that the 4WD system will shift to 4WD Low Range.
Shift the T-Case back to 4WD High Range. Repair complete.
wapnbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
JeepinGirl15
2008 WK 

Update: After submitting a complaint to the links, Chrysler emailed me and stated that they has arranged for my local dealer to do a diagnostic on my jeep. Took her in this morning at 9:30 4Lo did not work before I pulled it into the service garage.

We got a call around 11:00 stating that it was the transfer case actuator. They stated that they called chrysler and informed them of the problem and that Chrysler has offered to take care of a new actuator and the labor free of charge to me. However, they couldn't tell me when they would get the actuator in. Had my husband ask them if they tried re-doing the flash and they had to "ask" if it was and they stated that they did because it was part of the diagnostic procedure. Tried 4 Lo and what do you know it works! For how long though? I took in the pdf of the recall that can be found on another N23 page here with step 15 highlighted and an email I received from Chrysler. So now Im waiting for the actuator to come in, might as well go ahead and get it changed on Chryslers dime. I will be asking for the old actuators well.
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #24
WazzuCMGrad
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGirl15 View Post
So now Im waiting for the actuator to come in, might as well go ahead and get it changed on Chryslers dime. I will be asking for the old actuators well.
Just FYI - I had this done earlier this week (success, but we all know how little faith we should have at this point), and I can assure you that if it's a goodwill fix/replace, you won't get the parts back no matter how you ask. If you were paying out of pocket, then sure, you own them, but under warranty, they won't give them back. In many cases, they send them back for further analysis. HTH
WazzuCMGrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
slayerized6

@JeepCares,

I myself had problems with my 4lo after having the n23 recall performed on my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Approximately one month after the recall was performed, I returned to the dealership, with an appointment, and had them take a look at my Jeep. They diagnosed it as a bad transfer case actuator and charged me a diagnostic fee of $126.01. I bickered back and forth with the service adviser about the problem I was experiencing, which only occurred after the recall was performed. I also showed him the many pages on JeepForum about people experiencing similar issues after the n23 recall was performed and the recall service instructions that instructed the service tech to clear the codes multiple times. Of course the service tech stood by his guys and said the recall was performed as per the recall instructions.

As soon as I got home that day, I opened a case with Jeep Corporate and was assigned a case number (I can provide the case number on demand if you seek it). The following business day, I was contacted by a sweet lady by the name of Peggy who went over my concerns with me. She in turn contacted the dealership and agreed to compromise; Corporate would help with paying the cost of parts and labor of a new actuator, and I would have to only pay $100 out of pocket.

But I was not satisfied with the that I chose to seek other options. After numerous hours of research on JeepForums, one of the most prominent fixes was simple as reading the recall instructions; "if code XXXX appears, clear the codes three times." At this time, I was already thinking to myself, "I paid $126.01 for a diagnostic fee, and then I will be paying $100 for a new actuator that might not even fix the problem." Later on when I had enough money, I purchased a Superchips Flashpaq 3870 with the mindset of, what else do I go to lose. Let me tell you; within 10min of that brown box arriving on my doorstep after UPS dropped it off, I was once again able to actuate my transfer case to go into 4lo. After two months of being on the phone with the dealership and Jeep Corporate, going back and forth arguing and pleading my case, I fixed the problem by plugging in a cable and pressing a few buttons; it was so simple a child could of done it.

In the end, I ended up contacting my case manager at Jeep and let them know I fixed the situation myself and with what tools. I requested a refund in the amount of $126.01 from the diagnostic fee I was charged by my dealership, which I received in short fashion. It has been 3 months since I was able to fix the problem myself and I have not had one hiccup since then. However, I hate everyday that I come onto this board and I see hundreds of other people suffering from the same crap I went through for months. I have owned Jeep's since I was old enough to have my license and would want to keep it that way. But with the headache I had to go through is unacceptable in my book and makes me think twice about getting a new Jeep, or a used one that is still under warranty.
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
JeepinGirl15
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuCMGrad View Post
Just FYI - I had this done earlier this week (success, but we all know how little faith we should have at this point), and I can assure you that if it's a goodwill fix/replace, you won't get the parts back no matter how you ask. If you were paying out of pocket, then sure, you own them, but under warranty, they won't give them back. In many cases, they send them back for further analysis. HTH

Good to know. I had my husband ask them if we could receive the old part and the service guy said he wasn't sure that we should ask again when they actually get the new parts in my jeep. I figured it would be hard to get the part but figured it couldn't hurt to go ahead and ask.
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #27
jftjim
2007 WK 

I have an '07 CRD - QD2 - Service 4x4 light and no low range---had the N23 done August in Colorado and now in Surprise AZ, 160 miles south of Kingman AZ.
The dealer, Miller on the 303 and Waddell is saying it is the actuator and it my problem!!
I have called him only to leave a message for him to follow up on the N23 recall.
Maybe we can get the dealers talking to solve a few of these??
I will post here again when I finally speak to my guy, Tom, is service Assoc.
jftjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
wapnbp

the only sure fix other than using a super chips set is to replace the FDCM from the carcass of a similar jeep using the same transfer case But which did not have the n23 update and using the emergency brake. I should get one this week. Ran the carcass vin number and it had not been updated. Chrysler customer case manager has asked that we again have our jeep inspected by the local dealer - second time for us - and if they find the C104F code, they "may" have a solution which could include replacement of the transfer case?????? at whose cost??????

have read too many posts that replacing the actuator motor system is not a permeant fix as the FDCM has been corrupted by N23 and the problem comes back.

I sent the case manager the link to over 70 pages of jeep forum discussing this problem but have failed to find an N23 central point in customer service who will recognize the problem for what it is.

As had been discussed many times, if the problem of involuntary shifting into neutral causing roll away is from a cracked circuit board,how is a software change like N23 going to fix that???????

there has been two injuries that I know of from the roll away problem as well as property damage. This gets government attention and the attention of chrysler because of almost 300,000 potential affected units. But the true off road and rv towing customer is a relatively small number.

will keep the forum update on what happens next
wapnbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #29
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2005/...ee/#complaints
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #30
MikeJeep09

Ok now there are three threads I have to follow,lol. Jeep cares is nothing more then an internet troll who tries to hush people from posting publicly. I am waiting to see if all this complaining actually gets us Jeep owners anywhere. Once these Jeeps start being traded in there will be a flood of flashpaqs on ebay. I don't "have" to have 4 lo like most people don't have to have 4 lo, but 45k and Jeep basically says tough crap deal with it and n23 works just fine, never heard of any problems. I did all the reporting to Chrysler, nhtsb, bbb, all with the same result. The dealers hands are tied and I can not expect them to lose money on this stupidity. Not sure what I will do but I know I will never own a Jeep or Chrysler product as long as I am on this Earth. This is truly a shame because I really enjoyed this vehicle before the recall.
MikeJeep09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.