Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#233 · (Edited)
What good is a tow vehicle if you can't tow it?

Same story as others .... N23 recall applied then a week later find I can't shift xfer case into neutral due to 'Service 4wd System' fault. Take it back to dealer for a reflash and all is well again. That was a month and one successful tow trip ago. So last week I load the kayaks on the Jeep roof rack, load the bikes on the back, load all the equipment inside, hook the Jeep to the motorhome, and finally, go to shift the xfer case into neutral only to have the 'Service 4wd System' fault reappear. :mad: So much for that trip! Never had a 4wd issue before N23 applied. This is my fifth consecutive Grand Cherokee which will be my last GC if Jeep doesn't come up with a solution on their dime soon.

#236 ·
I can't believe the N23 "fix" caused other problems for starters after reading pages of multiple members with 4lo issues. I believe I have the same problem with the Service 4wd system light coming on after I had the N23 recall installed. 2 questions: Since getting the recall done, I have installed the AEV module w/ lift kit to compensate for bigger tires. Do I need to reset the AEV module before I bring the Jeep back to dealer to address the recall / 4WD system error? Secondly, will the dealer "un-install" the N23 recall if I tell them to? Is it possible? I'll sign a waiver or whatever, I'll take my chances like others here with setting the parking brake instead of a recall that causes other problems. I can't live without 4lo. And I really don't want to be forced to check 4lo every week and continue to go back to dealer to fix the issue like others here. If the N23 is causing other issues, Jeep needs to own up and provide a working solution without the need for multiple trips to the dealer for same issue.

#242 ·
Called my dealer today and they said that my problem (no 4wheel low) was probably the shift motor. They go bad a lot he said. He also said it would have nothing to do with the recall update. I will be calling again. Idiots.

#246 ·
I hear you, I played the same games when they told me I needed a new actuator (motor). I let them know that they weren't doing the recall correctly, made 3 trips to re-flash, even visited another dealer. Bottom line...I let them install a new actuator, it was covered by the drive train warranty, and my 4LO has worked ever since. Been over 2 months now. And I test it at least once a week.

#244 ·
Yeah I am finding that out now.... The guy Jack over there doesn't seem to care much about anything. Where do you go if you absolutely have to go? I think they didn't do the recall fix right as I found two codes stored - one that is mentioned in the recall instructions that should be cleared.

#247 ·
From another post:

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL CHRYSLER!!!!! 1-800-853-1403

Not enough people complaining!!!!

I just called this number. The woman I talked to took all my info and called the dealer I had the service done at. She got back on the phone with me and in the nicest way said that the service manager at the dealer was a jerk. He said to her the same he said to me - "there are no problems, my techs are perfect and we do the recall reprogramming perfectly". I asked her if I could go to a different dealer and have the recall done again and she said I could but that if the problem was not related to the recall then they would charge me for diagnostic time. I think it is worth betting $105 that this recall has caused this problem. What a mess. I am getting the codes C1405 and the infamous C140F which leads me to believe the code was never cleared.

#249 ·
Thanks Rockin1 for directing me to this thread...

What it sounds like to me is that the techs arnt clearing the codes out. You have to clear the codes not once not twice, but three times for this to go away. We have yet to have a problem at our dealership about this.

Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module
NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. This procedure must be performed with software release level 13.04 or higher. If the reprogramming flash for the FDCM is aborted or interrupted, repeat the procedure.
1. Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.0 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.
2. Connect the wiTECH VCI pod to the vehicle data link connector.
3. Place the ignition in the "RUN" position.
4. Open the wiTECH Diagnostic application.
5. Starting at the "Select Tool" screen, highlight the row/tool for the wiPOD device you are using. Then select "Next" at bottom right side of the screen. Parts Information Special Tools Service Procedure
Safety Recall N23 - Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module Page 3
6. Enter your "User id" and "Password", then select "Finish" at the bottom of the screen.
7. Perform a vehicle scan report before reprogramming the FDCM. Print a copy of the report and attach to the work order.
8. From the "Vehicle View" screen, click on the "FDCM" icon.
9. Select the "Flash Tab".
10. From the "FDCM View" screen, compare the "Current Flash Number" with the "New Part Number" listed on the "sort table". If the "Current Flash Number" is the same as the "New Part Number" continue to Step 17. If the part numbers are not the same, continue to Step 11.
11. With the cursor over the desired flash file, click the small green arrow button on the right side of the screen.
12. From the "ECU Flash" screen follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.
13. Once the flash is complete click the "OK" button on the "ECU Flash" screen.
14. Select the "Clear Stored DTC's" button and then check for DTC's.
15. For vehicles with active Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) "C140F" perform the following procedure:
a. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position and remove the key from the ignition switch.
b. Insert the key into the ignition switch and place the ignition in the "RUN" position.
c. Navigate to and select the FDCM "DTC" tab.
d. Clear all stored and active DTC's for a second time.
e. Clear all stored DTC's for a third time.

NOTE: If DTC C140F is still present and active, additional diagnosis is required.
Service Procedure (Continued)
Safety Recall N23 - Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module Page 4
16. From the "FDC View" screen, compare the "Current Flash Number" with the "New Part Number" listed on the "sort table". If the "Current Flash Number" is the same as the "New Part Number" the flash is complete. If the part numbers are not the same, repeat Steps 8 through 15.
17. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the wiTECH VCI pod and battery charger from the vehicle.
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by Chrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
Labor Operation Time
Number Allowance
Software Update Previously Performed 21-N2-31-81 0.2 hours
Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module 21-N2-31-82 0.3 hours
Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select "Global Recall System" on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Service Procedure (Continued) Completion Reporting and Reimbursement Dealer Notification
Safety Recall N23 - Reprogram Final Drive Controller Module Page 5
All involved vehicle owners known to Chrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner's name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the "Service" tab and then click on "Global Recall System." Your dealer's VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services / Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC Owner Notification and Service Scheduling Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up Additional Information
______________________________________________________________________________________
SAFETY RECALL N23 / NHTSA 13V-175
REPROGRAM FINAL DRIVE CONTROLLER MODULE

#250 ·
Haven't logged in for a while, but thought I'd drop by to share my recall issues too.

Here's a little background info on my Commander, and how I use it. It's a 2006 Limited. It now has about 99,000 miles on it. I maintain it meticulously, and have never had a mechanical failure. I use the 4lo about once every other week, more often during summer. It has always been 100% reliable up until this recall.

I have had my Commander into the dealership a total 4 times now. The first time, they did the recall flash, and the next day my 4lo stopped working and came up with the service 4x4 system error. Took it back in, and they said it was a bad actuator. They got the part, I took the Jeep back in, and they replaced it. The 4lo worked for a couple days, then the same code popped up again(c140f). I took it in yet again, and they said the reflash was wrong, and they redid it. That fixed it for about 3 more days, then the same code popped up again. I contacted Chrysler's recall hotline, and they basically told me that this was not related to the recall, and I would have to go pay the dealership to diagnose and fix the issue.

I just love how Chrysler now thinks something just magically broke since the recall service, and now I'm stuck holding the bill. I'll definitely be giving that other number a try, and giving them a piece of my mind. Hopefully they get this stuff straightened out soon.

#252 ·
will do. Like in my sig, if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

#253 ·
Ok I fixed my problem myself! I have a superchips programmer and used it to scan for codes and I got two - c140f and c1405. I figured before I take it back to the dealer tomorrow I will clear the codes to see if they come back. I clears them, started the car - pulled the 4 wheel low shifter - it went right to 4 wheel low with no issue! Unbelievable.... All I had to do was clear the code??? Just like the instructions for the recall state in step 15. My dealer is officially worthless. Superchips rules.

#255 ·
zedtechus said:
Hi, I'm very glad you could fix it. Could you please give my a link with the super chips model that you are using? :eek: Thanks in advance.
Hi - I am using the 3875 (which is now the 3870). As far as I know you can get one just about anywhere - I got mine on eBay used and paid the $100 unlock fee. Brand new they are $340? I love it.

#257 ·
Thanks for the info, I just tried to use my CanODB2 INNOVA 3100f, which is able to read DTC Transmission codes, but it didn't find any code even that I tried many times to lift up the 4lo lever and every time I'm getting the service 4wd mode message :(

I might need to buy one like yours.

Thanks again.

#258 ·
cherrybomb05 said:
Hope I don't have this problem - I recently did this recall at my dealership and now when I turn my jeep on it flashes Service 4wd System for a half second then disappears.
I had the same problem at first and then I tried to put it in 4 wheel low and the bells and whistles went off. You will probably have an issue. Sorry.

#259 ·
zedtechus said:
Thanks for the info, I just tried to use my CanODB2 INNOVA 3100f, which is able to read DTC Transmission codes, but it didn't find any code even that I tried many times to lift up the 4lo lever and every time I'm getting the service 4wd mode message :( I might need to buy one like yours. Thanks again.
My obd2 code scanner didn't pick up these codes either - only the superchips tuner picked them up. Strange.

#268 ·
DVB said:
I haven't checked mine yet. I just bought my Jeep a couple months ago so I don't know if I would've gotten something in the mail. I'll check on the jeep site and enter my VIN, see what happens.
If you have a V-8 then you are part of the recall - all the V-8s have a 245 transfer case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.