Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#2,396 ·
To cut a long story short, my 4WD lo does not work after recall - usual chat to Jeep about C140F code (and back ordered £300 Transfer Box Acuator) appearing but after them clearing the code the 4Lo works and has done for several days now. So, it is most likely a software issue not a hardware problem.

Anyway, as you know a lot of people are clearing the code using a scanner when it reappears - which I know it will sooner rather than later. Can anyone tell me where I can get a suitable scanner for my Jeep GC 06? I am based in the UK but do not mind finding a relevant scanner in the US and shipping over. Thank-you my American friends

Best, Clach :thumbup:

#2,397 ·
TwitterHandle-jeepn23

Twitter my be worth a chance to create better public awareness of lazy software "hack" used to eliminate the actuator position sensor problem. If we can get something trending with #jeepn23 and #no4lo and make sure at do @jeep too it'll at least be in more of a public eye.

Yeah, you may have to take 5 min to make a twitter but what's that compared to dealer trips and reading this forum...that no one outside jeep owners will read....

Side note (if you know a bit of OBD protocol). Cheaper and safer than old FDCM: Get flash. Buy a $10 OBD connector and a $30 Raspi. Keep in jeep to clear T-case code when ya need.

My e-brake doesn't work, and I have remote start...not a great combination

#2,398 ·
My e-brake doesn't work, and I have remote start...not a great combination
Just don't use remote start till you get ebrake fixed.

Today is day one, start the clock, I got my back from dealer with new actuator motor yesterday, had a shorted out connection with melted wires. I don;t think they touched the computer because my speedo was still accurate (have oversized wheels).

#2,404 ·
Customer Service Representatives seem to have built a wall around those in charge. Admittedly they are just doing their job. Unfortunately, their job isn't restricted to providing customer information. Their job includes keeping unhappy customers away from executives. I'm convinced it will take something official or legal to get past the CSR's. These idiots have way too much power. I believe constant prodding is the only answer. Jeep left to do the right thing voluntarily ain't happening. There are over 200,000 vehicles possibly affected.
Problem is out of those 200000 no one tries 4 lo to even know they have been afflicted. I talked to a service manager about this and he said he doubts any of the Jeeps he knows of would have tried 4 lo.

#2,405 ·
MikeJeep09 said:
Problem is out of those 200000 no one tries 4 lo to even know they have been afflicted. I talked to a service manager about this and he said he doubts any of the Jeeps he knows of would have tried 4 lo.
Agreed, but I've alerted 9 owners at my local Walmart and none had 4 low and none knew it! 6 said they'd prolly never use 4 low and I explained that's not the point. You paid to have it, don't now, and the person you sell it to later might! That's what it's going to take!!! Social media, alerting unknowing consumers. My local NAPA said I could leave a petition for owners to sign once we decide where we are going with this. Yes I said we. I'm not saying this should now be the driving force of your life and you should do nothing in your free time but pursue this, just quit doing nothing at all...... It's about numbers. I would've started a website if I knew how. Once this thing gets going, just sign, and your done. Just advertise on social media and ask people to share from time to time. No more complaining or listening to other complain. Also remember it will take far fewer numbers to get the NHTSA involved. Manufacturers have profits to worry about, NHTSA has image to worry about. Easier to convince in my opinion.

Which sends a stronger message:

1000 people complaining over the course of 18 months?

1000 signatures on 1 formal complaint?

#2,406 ·
Good job, that is one of the reasons I complain on this forum because when people do find out they have no 4 lo they will google search it and find this thread(and more like it). I was thinking of making up flyers to put on windshields but I like your idea about the auto parts store. Just not sure how many Jeep owners go to the autoparts store. I was hoping the facebook people could get the news out also or one of those chain emails. Maybe some local news channels or newspapers.

#2,408 ·
I don't have a ton of friends but maybe they will pass it on. Not sure why the title of the article isn't showing up hopefully it's just a buffer thing on my phone.

Rectangle Font Software Screenshot Electronic device

#2,412 · (Edited)
Same problem

I also have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I took into the dealership for the transfer case software recall update. About a week later, I was in a parking lot full of snow and wanted to use the 4 wd low to drive out and I got the service four wheel drive error code on the console. I took it back to the Dealer and they said the transfer case shift actuator needs to be replace and that more than 3000 were on back order. That was 5 months ago. The 2009's have a lifetime powertrain warranty and I think Chrysler does not want to spend the money to fix them. I think the class action lawsuit is a good idea!

#2,414 ·
I have thus far approached five (5) random Jeep Commander owners and asked them if they had the recall done. Out of the five (5), four (4) of them were not able to engage into 4-LO, receiving the "Service 4WD" dash light.

Those four Commander owners are very angry at Jeep. I told them all about this thread and how hundreds if not thousands of people are having this issue after having the N23 recall applied.

This is completely unacceptable. After having driven nothing but BMW's for the last decade, I switched to Jeep... and I'm starting to see why people lambast Chrysler/Jeep for their ****ty customer service.

Jeep/Chrysler - we implore you to remove the thumb for your behinds and fix this problem.

#2,416 ·
How do we get this to go viral on the web? Would we use twitter, facebook, youtube, or what? And even if we do get it to go viral it is my understanding that it only lasts a couple days and dies out as the next virus takes over.

#2,418 ·
Its not just trail rated vehicles... Its all 2005 to 2010 Grand Cherokees and 2006 to 2010 Commanders with QuadraDrive II and QuadraTrak II transfer cases

#2,422 ·
I have sent the following email to three different law firms that handle class action suits:

This is regarding an automobile issue. Last year Jeep had a recall that involved hundreds of thousands of Jeeps:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/13/chrysler-recalls-468-700-jeep-grand-cherokees-commanders-over-r/

The recall was a software update. This update has caused virtually every Jeep that it was performed on to lose the ability to engage the 4 Low or to place the transfer case in neutral. Jeep basically damaged all of our vehicles. Jeep are designed to be off-road vehicles and that is why many of us purchase them. Without the ability to engage the 4 wheel Low drive - we have lost the "trail rating" - as the only trail rated Jeeps have 4 Low.

Here is an article about the issue:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140221/CARNEWS/140229945

Here is a link to a Jeep forum where this issue is being discussed:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n23-recall-issue-no-4-low-1561787/

We all feel completely betrayed and ripped off by Jeep.

Do you think there is a possibility of a class action suit? If you do, would you be willing to bring this suit on our behalf? If not, can you recommend a Law firm that would?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Ken Busalacchi
Park Falls, WI

If I hear back from any of them, I will let you know what they have to say about it.

#2,424 ·
sedevacante said:
I have sent the following email to three different law firms that handle class action suits: This is regarding an automobile issue. Last year Jeep had a recall that involved hundreds of thousands of Jeeps: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/13/chrysler-recalls-468-700-jeep-grand-cherokees-commanders-over-r/ The recall was a software update. This update has caused virtually every Jeep that it was performed on to lose the ability to engage the 4 Low or to place the transfer case in neutral. Jeep basically damaged all of our vehicles. Jeep are designed to be off-road vehicles and that is why many of us purchase them. Without the ability to engage the 4 wheel Low drive - we have lost the "trail rating" - as the only trail rated Jeeps have 4 Low. Here is an article about the issue: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140221/CARNEWS/140229945 Here is a link to a Jeep forum where this issue is being discussed: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/n23-recall-issue-no-4-low-1561787/ We all feel completely betrayed and ripped off by Jeep. Do you think there is a possibility of a class action suit? If you do, would you be willing to bring this suit on our behalf? If not, can you recommend a Law firm that would? Thank you for your time and consideration. Sincerely, Ken Busalacchi Park Falls, WI If I hear back from any of them, I will let you know what they have to say about it.
Can't wait to hear the results

#2,425 ·
Ariont said:
I was under the impression that if your GC Overland came with 18" wheels you weren't Trail Rated.. Only the 17" wheels classified you as trail rated. if I'm mistaken I'd sure would like to know for a fact what is correct. I was told because the 18" wheels didn't have as much rubber on them that dropped your rating. Something to do with not being able to lower tire pressure sufficiently when in off road situations where that was needed.
Same here. My Limited QDII isn't trail rated because of the 18" wheels.

#2,426 ·
I suspect that it will be hard to get a law firm involved - primarily because there will likely be no money involved. If Jeep would respond to a such a lawsuit - it would likely just agree to fix the problem - and if they do this - how will the law firm make any $$? l But I figured I would try anyhow.

#2,431 ·
I have a 2006 GC Overland, it's my first Jeep and I bought it in March 2013, pre-recall. Before I went for the recall I came here to find out about it.

So I have been following this thread since about page 90 and because of everything I have read here, I haven't brought the GC in for the N-23 recall, hedging on there being reports of an update to the software that will work without losing the 4Lo. I always use my e-brake when parked, don't have remote start, and while I haven't used my 4lo yet, I have tested it and it shifts into it fine.

I am a little worried about not bringing it in for the recall flash, but I really don't want to deal with the associated problems. Long story later . . . should I just keep avoiding having the recall flash done? I am getting weekly calls from Chrysler asking that I bring it in, I just let it go to voicemail and have been ignoring it.

Thanks for any advice!

#2,432 ·
Refer them to this thread please. In the mean time, stay away. As has been recently noted, your only worry of a roll away is when the Jeep is running, specifically when it is first cranked. It's not just going to up and roll away while it's parked and off.

#2,434 ·
should I just keep avoiding having the recall flash done? I am getting weekly calls from Chrysler asking that I bring it in, I just let it go to voicemail and have been ignoring it.
You have the POWER....

Under no circumstances should you let them depreciate the value of your Jeep.

I would answer their calls and ask to talk to the higher ups. Or at least ask for another contact number of their supervisor.

If I were in your position there is NO WAY I would let them ruin my Jeep.

#2,438 ·
One law firm emailed me back and said they were not interested. Another called me and said that their firm is personal injury, but that they forwarded all the information to a product liability firm and that they will get back to me within the week after they review the information, including this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.