Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#154 ·
Mine has to go in this weekend for a TSB fix. I'm going to make the SM sign something that says he will not fix the recall, and if he does, they will replace the actuator at no cost until 4LO works consistently for 3 months. Probably won't work, but hell, it's worth a try.

#162 ·
I have every sympathy with those struggling to get this one resolved.

Please see my reply on the other thread regarding this and stick to your guns.......

Can't find my original post but here goes. I suffered from the post final drive flash update woes. I did a massive amount of research and went back to the dealer who stated they'd done dozens and mine was the only one faulty!!! Hmmm.

There's no doubt that the flash upgrade, providing lo was working ok, can kill lo selection and bring up the service 4wd. It's one of those things like when you update windows and it doesn't quite work right.

My lo worked fine then a few days after the update when I went to use it , didn't and threw up the service warning with no dtcs at all.

Very importantly if you get the diagnostics done at that stage you may find components diagnosed as faulty and replacing them changes the service 4wd warning. I don't know why and I'm sure I'll take some flack but that's the way it is. However if you have the flash redone before going onto the diagnostics and it works ie clears service 4wd and lo engages , all will probably show as healthy. In my case they are because they now work. ( at the moment lol)

A re flash before doing anything else fixed it 100%.

In fairness to them , the dealer acknowledged they have done some research and the word is exactly as I stated at the beginning. The flash can produce spurious errors.

Hope this helps ��

#170 ·
stipo said:
i have been told that my FDCM needs replacing in my '10 5.7 Hemi Overland. & That it would cost $$2600. parts & labour. But they would pursue Chrysler for a mercy payment as it is so soon after warranty.
I'm not a mechanic, but isn't that considered part of the powertrain? 2010's have a 5 yr 100k mile powertrain warranty.

#171 ·
stipo said:
i have been told that my FDCM needs replacing in my '10 5.7 Hemi Overland. & That it would cost $$2600. parts & labour. But they would pursue Chrysler for a mercy payment as it is so soon after warranty.
Just saw you're in Australia. Maybe the 5 year is only the US.

#172 ·
im not sure either, but i'll ask next time i chat to chrysler.
The other problem with this is that my friend Ben the mechanic knows about this, & i must now explain away the problems with my Jeep. All of his employees are saying , "get rid of it" but my heart keeps telling me it's a JEEP thing. I am looking forward to many more years of wheeling with the Ovrrland.

#173 ·
In think there are three issues after reading the forums.

1. Bad acuator
Able to pull codes from the fdcm

2. Bad flash.
Still able to communicate with the fdcm to attempt communication.

3. Dead fdcm
No communication can be established to the fdcm.

I seem to have #3. Chrysler has informed my dealer that all fdcm replacements are on hold as they are manufacturing a new revision of the fdcm for people who have had failures.

Hopefully the redesigned parts don't establish cracks. But for people who have working 4lo after recall I would ask for the updated part.

#177 ·
Brake is a solenoid that keeps the motor from turning when it's not supposed to turn. After getting N23 I get "service 4wd system" and no lo. I did a lot before reading this forum, and wrote a new post about it. Ouch. Bought a new switch and used transfer case motor. Didn't fix it. Jeep dealer swears they didn't break it and charged me $100 last week to diagnose my actuator as the culprit, but it's not. Going to have to talk to service manager again. Anyone have a number at Chrysler that I can use to complain? I'm out of warranty... By the way. Changing your actuator is EASY. It's 4 10mm bolts and the electrical plug. Takes me <10 minutes now to swap one. I have a 2" lift so it's even easier to get under it and I use a cordless drill with a 12 inch wobble extension on the 10mm socket to speed the long bolts out.

#178 ·
When the dealer diagnosed the actuator they said it would take an hour to replace. They had the jeep for 3 days. I saw evidence that they had the fuse boxes out under the hood. There must be some other electrical issue they had to repair they hey wouldn't tell me about. I also found out that the dealer had also just replaced the computer before my wife bought it. It's so hard to get the true story from the auto industry. Just ask a Ford rep about the derated 6.7powerstroke they put in fleet trucks. They like to eat valves in 20000 mi. According to Ford they have very little problems. Out of 12 trucks our company bought 9 failed, no problem.

#179 ·
I have the HID headlights on my XK and they starting acting funny with the self leveling feature moving the headlights up and down while driving. I took it in for the repair and it took the dealer 3 days to find the control unit for the lights and then 3 more days to repair. The Chrysler engineers did not remember where they put the headlight ecu and the FSM had it on the wrong side of the Jeep. They took my whole Jeep apart to find it LOL! Even had the front bumper off. Sometimes its a procedure issue and sometimes its that over-paid pin head behind a computer somewhere that screws things up.

#180 ·
jjarvis0007 said:
Just got the Jeep back. Brand new actuator with BRAKE it says. 4wd low has engaged multiple times. I'll check it later. Any idea about the brake?
Just looked at the actuator they installed in he wife's. It to says "with BRAKE". Not sure if the old one had that. Pretty odd that a part that probably gets used 2-3times a year would suddenly go bad after a computer flash.

#184 ·
I found about this thread like one month later after I had the recall on my Jeep CRD 2008 4x4 QTII.

Since then I try a few times by week my 4low and is still working fine, no 4wd service mode yet.

I hope will stay like this!.

#187 ·
Probably correct. I have used mine once since buying it in 08. I used it to pull my neighbor's big pickup truck out of a ditch. He was embarrassed that a little ole GC had to come to his rescue. I almost got him out without the 4Lo but not quite.

#191 ·
So I got the jeep back this morning and low and behold it's repaired ( for now) and at no charge. The invoice indicated "transfer case range position sensor erratic". They reset the code and all is good for now. I am not sure what they did with the sensor but it may be an alternative for some with this issue that don't have warranty.

#189 ·
Well weird story with mine. Took it to the dealership to get the service 4wd 4 low issue looked at. They had it in the shop for a half hour and then he came out and said im sorry i think we did the wrong N23 recall last time because there are two separate ones with the same name apparently. So they did there thing and test drove it and said it was done. I went out and threw it in 4 low and it worked, but then it was stuck in 4 low. Back into the shop it went, and an hour later it came back out and has been working since. They really didnt have an explanation for it so we will see what happens ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.