N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #61
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtAddsHP View Post
Superchips tune? Is that for engine performance? I have a box i had to install after lifting my keep to modify the stability control and correct the speedometer due to my 33s and lowers my mirrors when baking up. the thing is connected under my steering wheel near that airbag connector.. would i need to disconnect that before taking to the stealership?
Superchips tune is an engine tuner, but it also includes features to adjust your tire size, TPMS, and a few other things.

I am with you, I am concerned about ill effects involved with the AEV tuner.....and the Superchips for that matter since I have both.

Does Chrysler know about these issues after the re-flash?

I may hold out for more info before getting it done.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #62
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Sounds like I did the right thing in not getting the flash.....
Same lol
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #63
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
So you or your dealer believe that the new actuator does not require a reflash? I wonder what makes the new actuator different from the old actuator. The recall itself suggests a circuit board is mechanically damaged and that causes the shift into neutral. I'm not clear where the circuit board is that is failing, is it in the actuator itself? Is it in the pcm? Is it in he ecu? Based on your experience. My guess is that the failed circuit board is in the actuator and the old actuator in your jeep has actually failed and that is why he reflash does not work, but that is just my guess. It would be good if your dealer would let you perform an autopsy on the old actuator.
These are good questions I have no answer for. I do know after 3 reflash attempts my dealer ordered a new actuator, which was cancelled by Chrysler, and a "different" new actuator put on back order. The "new" new actuator has been installed, and all seems fine now.
RockinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #64
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I'll mention it again.....if you have either of the name brand (Superchips or Diablosport) tuners, be sure to return them to the stock settings BEFORE you take it in for the recall. Otherwise, it'll cost you ~$100 to get it reset and/or you'll have a $300-400 paperweight. Don't know if this applies to the lesser known tuners though.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #65
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The wife just picked up her WK after 2 visits to the dealer for no 4lo. I tried 4lo when she was test driving it and it worked fine. After she bought it I showed her how to put it in 4lo and the message popped up and no 4lo. The first trip to the dealer ( 2 weeks ago) they had it for 2days. They determined the transfer case shift motor bad. The wife dropped it off Monday this week. Got it back today. Supposedly fixed. I will be testing it later.
Dealer has been great and providing free loaner cars while they had her Jeep. Got to drive a '12 Compass. It is by no means a Jeep.
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #66
Beeracuda
2006 WK 

I took mine in for another reflash today. 4 Low worked when I got it home. We will see if it stays fixed.

The Beeracuda: http://youtu.be/Kcp0sqG_03M
Beeracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #67
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dealer installed the new transfer case shift motor and 4 lo works again.
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #68
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
I'll mention it again.....if you have either of the name brand (Superchips or Diablosport) tuners, be sure to return them to the stock settings BEFORE you take it in for the recall. Otherwise, it'll cost you ~$100 to get it reset and/or you'll have a $300-400 paperweight. Don't know if this applies to the lesser known tuners though.
I'd say it would probably be wise to set the AEV module back to stock as well.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #69
RockinR
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
The wife just picked up her WK after 2 visits to the dealer for no 4lo. I tried 4lo when she was test driving it and it worked fine. After she bought it I showed her how to put it in 4lo and the message popped up and no 4lo. The first trip to the dealer ( 2 weeks ago) they had it for 2days. They determined the transfer case shift motor bad. The wife dropped it off Monday this week. Got it back today. Supposedly fixed. I will be testing it later.
Dealer has been great and providing free loaner cars while they had her Jeep. Got to drive a '12 Compass. It is by no means a Jeep.
Shift Motor is another name for Actuator.
RockinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #70
sickchilly
2010 WK 

Joy. Had mine at the dealer today to have a dead TPMS sensor replaced under warranty. They did the N23 recall too. Get home, no 4-lo, "Service 4wd System". GAH!
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #71
BAH101
2008 WK 

So, the question I have is this...why are some not checking your 4Lo right in the dealers lot before you take it home?
It takes a few min of time, to engage 4lo, move 5 feet to confirm its working then disengage it. Going five feet on pavement will not hurt your drivetrain.
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #72
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Any update?

This thread reinforces my post in the other thread about the recall.

I'm not keen on the idea of jacking with my computer just in case I have a problem sometime down the road - my tcase works just fine as is.
Is there any way without cracking into to stuff they can tell if you in fact need a reflash? Do they have any idea what causes this to happen?

I mean it's typical IT style "fixit" bs if you ask me.

The problem isn't being fixed - just a bandaid to cover the symptoms - same thing a pharmacist does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Sounds like I did the right thing in not getting the flash.....
^^^ I agree with Scott..........and I stand by my original post to the thread.

I still have the recall notice tucked away in the garage if a problem ever arises but so far as I can tell this "fix" is causing far too many issues for me to go volunteering my Jeep.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #73
GermantownJeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101
So, the question I have is this...why are some not checking your 4Lo right in the dealers lot before you take it home?
It takes a few min of time, to engage 4lo, move 5 feet to confirm its working then disengage it. Going five feet on pavement will not hurt your drivetrain.
I did and it worked. It was a couple weeks later that I tried and got the error. I think that's why the dealers can't figure it out and end up changing the actuators. They don't really know what's causing it.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #74
robswk
2008 WK 

Ok too many people are having this problem.. I got the n23 but tried 4lo yet gonna try today, just to br safe to shift it to 4lo I put it in nuetrual first the lift the lever right?

Black WK Member #42
robswk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #75
robswk
2008 WK 

Nevermind my recent post, did my research so after testing it out the esp turned off and traction light came on which I beleive is suppose to come on if I'm correct then rolled down few feet service light never came on switch it back to high no problem. . Hopefully all is good with my jeep

Black WK Member #42
robswk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.