N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #496
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

TTT

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

nychaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #497
Rockin1
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason911 View Post
Wanted to add my $.02 to this thread: I too have had the recall done - mine was back in July, and stupid me, didn't check the 4low until time came when I needed it in August, at which time I got the common "service 4wd" message ohm the dash. Do to time constraints, I was unable to make back to the dealer until October, but I was loaded with a plethora of information - 99% garnered and gleaned from the threads on here. I even printed all of them out, to the tune of 24 pages of info. Armed with that, I went and talked with the service writer of the day, who in not to uncertain terms blatantly said that "his guys always do the reflash the correct way, this is the first time he heard of this problem" speech, to which I brought out the recall paperwork, the service campaign info and the step-by-step procedures on how to do it correctly. I asked him to ref lash the Jeep on emote time, with me watching - and alas, if you clear the codes 3 times - bingo! Problem fixed....until I drove it home and shut the key off. Just for giggles I pulled the T-case, and got the same "service" message. Again. I call the dealer and make yet another appointment (now #3) and take it in today. 2 hours of diagnostic later, yup - C0140F code, "you need a new actuator. Oh and by the way, we don't have the part in stock, Chrysler is out of them and there are 354 currently on backorder worldwide with no know delivery estimate, we can only order one every 14 days, Chrysler will not pay for it(yet) - do you want us to TRY and get one? You know, your 4High still works so its not a big deal".
Not a big deal
Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #498
Rockin1
2006 XK Commander 

Anyway,
Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #499
jblakeman
2007 WK 

Add myself to this list of "parking brake" users.....glad my Jeep didn't get the N23 before I purchased it this last July....

Out of the 700K+ WK's built with only 30 some complaints of "unintended" neutral operation it doesn't seem prudent to warrant a recall without further testing to ensure that the HARDWARE wasn't the weak link to begin with instead of adding software checkpoints to cover the bad engineering (saving corporate bottom line....). Instead what has happened is now these additional checkpoints are pointing out failures in what was otherwise good actuators that may in fact worked fine....they would have never failed for which would have still properly worked (4L0) within factory spec and not in "neutral".

I have a '03 Ram that had a similar recall involving "failure to shift into Park" in which some owners have had their trucks "unintentionally" roll even though the instrument cluster showed the gear in "P". Instead of Chrysler addressing the HARDWARE (linkage / cable) it instead wanted to program every truck with an panic alarm that would alert the driver IF the truck wasn't in "P"....So if your seat belt wasn't buckled, driver door was opened it would set off the alarm....the forum exploded with users who normally needed to open their door while backing their truck to hitch a trailer complaining that their panic alarm was blaring even though they were CONSCIOUS that the truck was indeed in Reverse and not in Park....
jblakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #500
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

Almost Final Report

Well, I had my (hopefully) new and improved actuator installed on Monday. I have shifted into 4-LO and 4-neutral every day so far. Each time the transfer case reacted as it should with no service message. I will keep testing because in a few weeks I will leave on a 3 or 4 month trip of towing behind my motorhome. If I get a failure on this trip it will be a disaster!

Point 2: What will Jeep decide to do? I have stopped shopping for a GC diesel. I am reluctant to do business with a company that leaves a customer with a problem of this significance. We buy our Jeeps with 4WD for a specific purpose and, if that feature fails, who needs it?
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #501
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNomad View Post
Well, I had my (hopefully) new and improved actuator installed on Monday. I have shifted into 4-LO and 4-neutral every day so far. Each time the transfer case reacted as it should with no service message. I will keep testing because in a few weeks I will leave on a 3 or 4 month trip of towing behind my motorhome. If I get a failure on this trip it will be a disaster!

Point 2: What will Jeep decide to do? I have stopped shopping for a GC diesel. I am reluctant to do business with a company that leaves a customer with a problem of this significance. We buy our Jeeps with 4WD for a specific purpose and, if that feature fails, who needs it?
Give it a week...the light will be back... just like the rest of them.

Anyone with connections to the media. Even a small town news cast could expose this issue and make Chrysler get off their butt and do something.

I'm not about to buy a jeep/Chrysler product again. Went with them to avoid all the electronics of a rover...Chrysler/jeep needs to stick to manual buttons and levers. Leave the electronics to the people who know what they are doing...

nychaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #502
Blown7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychaze View Post
Chrysler/jeep needs to stick to manual buttons and levers. Leave the electronics to the people who know what they are doing...

The trouble with that is..

Most ESP/ABS/Drive by wire throttle systems mandated by the Federal Act of 2012 need to be controlled by electronics, and to get the needed gas mileage a "Active" transfer case is the engineers answer..not a good one.. just a answer

There is lots of things wrong with this whole system from the dependability side with no direct levers the vehicle driver to indicate what happening it's a big crap shoot whats really happening.

Then add a Canadian Company building transfer cases that cut costs at any corner what have you got?

The problems that are going on now.....

It's time to tell the federal governement we don't need anymore "Help" with their safety mandates and take back our country.

Short of that... keep checking your 4 low....
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #503
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychaze View Post
Of course it does, wanna trade?
I don't think I've ever heard of a manufacturer recall cause more problems than it fixes for owners than this one.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #504
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Still waiting for actuator (on backorder), but at least my dealer hasn't once attempted to charge me a penny.

I'm way out of warranty.

I'm ordering a Flashpaq.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #505
Beeracuda
2006 WK 

My dealer found a final drive control module at another dealership and installed it on Tuesday. So far, so good. And I haven't been out anything either. They even paid for the tow when it wouldn't shift out of 4WD low. My Jeep has 103,000 and was way out of warranty, too.

The Beeracuda: http://youtu.be/Kcp0sqG_03M
Beeracuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #506
crtrim

This should be news...

If Chrysler/Jeep aren't going to hear us and help I agree a media outlet is the best way to go. I know you can submit stories to CNN, ABC, etc online. I've submitted this to CNN, maybe if we flood them as well one would actually pick up the story? 6 degrees of separation says someone here knows someone who knows someone that could get this turned into news somewhere...
crtrim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #507
crtrim

crtrim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #508
LouC
2007 WK 

The Ram Powerwagon has a manually shifted transfer case and so does the Wrangler. There is no reason other than appealing to ignorant customers who refuse to learn how to use 4x4 properly to use such a complex electronic control system for 4x4. The Wrangler has skid control also you know. I easily taught my 18 year old how to use this great system on the ZJ and it has never let us down in 15 years of northeast winters and boat towing.
LETS GET REAL, ITS THE AUTOMOTIVE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA.....

ps Mine still works, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
nv242_1.jpg

nv242_2.jpg

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #509
ducktail
2009 WK 

Just a note - first time I needed the 4wd low since going through the recall and it wasn't available. I am going to clean out the vehicle and go ahead and take it to the dealer. What a disappointment. I made it where I was going but the clay road was scarred by the spinning.
Unread 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #510
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeracuda View Post
My dealer found a final drive control module at another dealership and installed it on Tuesday. So far, so good. And I haven't been out anything either. They even paid for the tow when it wouldn't shift out of 4WD low. My Jeep has 103,000 and was way out of warranty, too.
Interesting how some dealers can NOT find an actuator and some can. Mine got one but he had my money up front. And, some dealers can find them and replace the old ones FREE of charge! I don't get it.
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.