N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #421
Rockin1
2006 XK Commander 

Probably

Rockin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #422
kookoo102
2013 WK 

Hmm, so this is how I see it.
First recall: actuators are the culprit, they replace them free of charge "have a nice day vehicle owner with your working 4wd"

Some time in between for jeep to realize.. Let's issue a recall for software to "fix" the same issue the actuators were fixing, but in reality it's to only make the vehicle call out actuators so customers have to pay for them to be replaced after that recall...

Second recall comes out: here is a software fix for your jeep. Here you go vehicle owner ( couple days later you go back to the dealer with 4lo not working) "hi vehicle owner, your jeep is saying your actuator is bad, when would you like to get taken an advantage of??"

Sorry... That's a basic rundown of how I see it. Until jeep is willing to pay for an actuator either as the recall or after the "software fix" I refuse to have it done.
Unread 11-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #423
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanfireman View Post
Dealership just called to inform me that the transfer case motor is on backorder, without an estimated time of arrival! Service department guy (Bill) also informed me that we now have a 2 wheel drive jeep until the new transfer case motor comes in!!
You still have 4wd, just not 4lo. Everything in 4hi still works for me.
lucifers_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #424
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo102 View Post
Hmm, so this is how I see it.
First recall: actuators are the culprit, they replace them free of charge "have a nice day vehicle owner with your working 4wd"

Some time in between for jeep to realize.. Let's issue a recall for software to "fix" the same issue the actuators were fixing, but in reality it's to only make the vehicle call out actuators so customers have to pay for them to be replaced after that recall...

Second recall comes out: here is a software fix for your jeep. Here you go vehicle owner ( couple days later you go back to the dealer with 4lo not working) "hi vehicle owner, your jeep is saying your actuator is bad, when would you like to get taken an advantage of??"

Sorry... That's a basic rundown of how I see it. Until jeep is willing to pay for an actuator either as the recall or after the "software fix" I refuse to have it done.

This is how I see it-

First Jeep rolls away after a remote start, they investigate and find a fried actuator. Not sure why it fried, but NHTSA is breathing down their neck, so they issue first notice.

After more investigating they find the cracked FDCM as the reason the actuator fried. Figure they can rewrite the software to fix saving them money.

Problem with that is, if crack has just started, or is extreme, or hasn't happened, will cause all different ranges of signals thru the FDCM. So now it has to be super sensitive with controlling. So any little variance, and the system locks down.
I honestly think the only fix is a new FDCM and back to the old flash.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #425
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanfireman View Post
Amen to that. Good thing I waited until the weather turned to ***** to find out I don't have 4WD.....

I've been driving for 24 years - never owned a foreign vehicle. In that time I've owned 5 jeeps, a dodge ram, and a Chrysler 300M - every one of them had something wrong with them that required dealership warranty work!

At what point should a reasonable person move on and buy a foreign brand?
Excuse me but isn't Jeep a foreign brand? Fiat!
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #426
HappyNomad
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1 View Post
Probably the most irritating part is the silence of Jeep Corp. about all of this. I am pretty sure they are aware. We get commentary from service managers, but they could be speaking truth or bull puckie. Service managers are even to slightly below used car salesman for pissing on your leg and telling you it is raining. The run on actuators to the point of causing back orders is telling us something. Either the actuator was the real cause of the recall, or the reprogram kills good actuators. If you go back and read the initial recall notice, before they came up with the reprogram fix, it was all about the actuator.
Let's also not forget that the recall was a software update to "fix" a cracked circuit board!
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #427
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Has anyone had their FDCM replaced and fixed the problem?
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #428
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

My FDCM was replaced at the end of September. It left the dealer with 4low not working. Had to take it back the next day. Their fix lasted one day and the service 4wd light came back on. I just drove it like that for a while, then cleared it with my Flashpaq. That's lasted at least a month or more, then had a host of other problems with my Flashpaq (whole different story, I hate this damn Flashpaq), and had to clear the code again this week.
abajoczky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #429
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifers_jeep View Post
You still have 4wd, just not 4lo. Everything in 4hi still works for me.
No, you have all wheel drive. You get stuck, only one wheel will spin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nychaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #430
lucifers_jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychaze View Post

No, you have all wheel drive. You get stuck, only one wheel will spin.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Go try it. My traction control still works. Might not on Quadra Drive. Only thing I have noticeably lost is 4lo.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #431
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychaze
No, you have all wheel drive. You get stuck, only one wheel will spin. Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Free owners manual at jeep.com and videos on how QTII and QDII works.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #432
xjtrailrider

The dealer ordered something for mine(I forgot, either the shift motor or the control module) and it is on back order until Feb '14.

So how will Chrysler reimburse me for not having 4-low for 4 months? I bought a Jeep with a 2 mode transfer case and now it is a single mode. BS Chrysler!
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #433
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
The dealer ordered something for mine(I forgot, either the shift motor or the control module) and it is on back order until Feb '14.

So how will Chrysler reimburse me for not having 4-low for 4 months? I bought a Jeep with a 2 mode transfer case and now it is a single mode. BS Chrysler!
Looks like we're just screwed in this situation?
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #434
Blown7

Just because I've had more than my far share of these FDCM modules apart and modified them to all sorts of wonderful things...

Where is the crack in the board located??

Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #435
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post
Just because I've had more than my far share of these FDCM modules apart and modified them to all sorts of wonderful things...

Where is the crack in the board located??

So you have 4wd low after the recall

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.