Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#5 ·
I bet a lot of Jeeps will be going back, they're fixing it in summer so i'm assuming most Jeeps haven't even been put in 4LO yet (if ever).

#6 ·
I am glad I read this.They are doing a software work around for a cracked PC board that controls the transfer case.The only way I will let them touch mine is when they agree to replace the module that controls the transfer case.This came up in a conversation I was having with an automotive tech I know.We had a good laugh about the software re-write to fix a cracked PC board.He worked for Chrysler for years and we had lots of laughs at the the way they did some recalls.We talked about how it could screw up the way the transfer case would work after the up date.I see from your posts that it did screw things up.

#17 ·
I don't think you understand. Its not a software work around for a cracked PC board. Its in the event that the board cracks or fails it will not shift into neutral. The board would still need to be replaced if it were to fail. So its not a fix for the board, its just so the vehicle does not roll away if this were to happen as I understand it.

#7 ·
So Freddy, you aren't taking it in for the update? I was thinking about doing the same since they aren't even replacing the board

#10 ·
Regardless if your 4WD is still functioning, (mine still works flawlessly) it's a safety concern. Lets say your jeep is sitting in your driveway and the T-case decides to shift into neutral, and your jeep rolls over your child! Will you then wish you had the recall performed?

#16 ·
PARK BRAKE.I never part any vehicle or heavy equipment without applying the PARK BRAKE.I don't understand why people do not use their park brake,even with auto trannys.It also takes some of the strain off the park pin.When I park I apply the park break before I shift the tranny into park.Then I know it won't roll away.I will get the recall done if they replace the module.May be it is a glitch in the software that is causing some transfer cases to act up.We all have such good luck with computer up grades,don't we.

#11 ·
How many times has this actually happened to someone that caused the recall?

#12 ·
the recall was performed on ours just before we got it.. and it works fine.. put it in 4lo the other day to load it on the rollback to go get windows tinted.. it was raining on the aluminum bed and all it wanted to do was spin.. so i locked it in 4lo and it climbed right up not a problem

#18 ·
Took the Jeep in for the recall this morning. Tested 4 low for the first time since I owned it and it worked fine with no lights set before or after the reflash. I am wondering if there isn't something actually wrong with your controller that wasn't caught with the old firmware and possibly the new firmware has additional diagnostics....like maybe an indicator that your controller board is going bad?

#20 ·
I got that "final drive" update about 2 years ago. The dealer updated it "free of charge" during a routine maintenance. However, this new update....ya right am I going lol. I've been following the Forum and heard enough not to go. Eh, my Wk works fine, why chance it?

#22 ·
On phone with Chrysler now... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... no 4 lo......Stealer said t case sensor. I tested the system b4 dropping it off (worked fine) and immediately after receiving it back.

Stay tuned....

...I'm sorry this recall should have no effect on that issue...There is nothing Jeep can do....

#24 ·
WmassWK said:
On phone with Chrysler now... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... no 4 lo......Stealer said t case sensor. I tested the system b4 dropping it off (worked fine) and immediately after receiving it back.

Stay tuned....

...I'm sorry this recall should have no effect on that issue...There is nothing Jeep can do....
Did they quote you a price for the sensor? I just checked my codes and that's they code I'm getting

#25 ·
Problem SOLVED!

Prior to bringing the jeep in I removed the Superchips tune. What I forgot to do was to reset back to factory tire size. During my rage a moment of clarity came and I reset the tire size. I now have 4 low again and no trouble codes. Afterwards I reinstalled the tune with adjusted tire size and all is still good. I don't know if there was an interaction between the stealers flash and the SC or if the computer was reset by the above actions. I just don't know, but it works and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Otherwise the Jeep would have been in Mon morning to start the expensive diagnostics.

*ecollins7 - If I remember correctly the t-case location sensor cannot be purchased separately from the actuator motor and it is roughly $500 + labor

#44 ·
Problem SOLVED!

Prior to bringing the jeep in I removed the Superchips tune. What I forgot to do was to reset back to factory tire size. During my rage a moment of clarity came and I reset the tire size. I now have 4 low again and no trouble codes. Afterwards I reinstalled the tune with adjusted tire size and all is still good. I don't know if there was an interaction between the stealers flash and the SC or if the computer was reset by the above actions. I just don't know, but it works and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Otherwise the Jeep would have been in Mon morning to start the expensive diagnostics.

*ecollins7 - If I remember correctly the t-case location sensor cannot be purchased separately from the actuator motor and it is roughly $500 + labor
Superchips tune? Is that for engine performance? I have a box i had to install after lifting my keep to modify the stability control and correct the speedometer due to my 33s and lowers my mirrors when baking up. the thing is connected under my steering wheel near that airbag connector.. would i need to disconnect that before taking to the stealership?

#26 ·
WmassWK said:
Problem SOLVED!

I uninstalled my tuner before the fix, reinstalled it the next day but when I went to uninstall it today it won't let me. It's telling me file can't be found

#31 ·
Any update?

This thread reinforces my post in the other thread about the recall.

I'm not keen on the idea of jacking with my computer just in case I have a problem sometime down the road - my tcase works just fine as is.
Is there any way without cracking into to stuff they can tell if you in fact need a reflash? Do they have any idea what causes this to happen?

I mean it's typical IT style "fixit" bs if you ask me.

The problem isn't being fixed - just a bandaid to cover the symptoms - same thing a pharmacist does.

#27 ·
Wow so many issues with this that I really don't want to do it...I never leave my car running when I'm not in it, so it's not really an issue anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.