N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #346
hearld5000
2006 WK 

I figure its worth mentioning, reseting with with a SuperChips tuner will clear this issue...

hearld5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #347
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearld5000 View Post
I figure its worth mentioning, reseting with with a SuperChips tuner will clear this issue...
Thanks! I think this is the only real solution too many people getting random parts replaced to have it happen all over again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nychaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #348
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Is this proven to work?
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #349
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarvis0007 View Post
Is this proven to work?
It did on mine just last week.
abajoczky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #350
lestats
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajoczky View Post
It did on mine just last week.
Do you think the superchips could work on a diesel engine. When I look at the sepcs of the superchips, the 3.0 diesel engine is not listed.
lestats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #351
dfw

Question:

I found and read the 23 pages of posts in this thread after scheduling the N23 recall with a dealer tomorrow.

I am inclined to postpone the reflash until later when the kinks are ironed out. Aside from what appears to be a low probability that the transfer case would slip into neutral, are there any other potential problems with delay? For example, could my GC be rendered inoperative on the road if the transfer case disengaged, etc.? I need 4wd Low, and can't risk it being inoperative.

I will speak to the service rep about this thread, and will be interested in his response and assurances, if any.

fyi, I don't recall reading other accounts about receiving two recall notices as I received. One explained the potential problem of the transfer case moving though the neutral position with the status that software update is not yet ready. The other stating that the Final Drive Controller Module software will be reprogramed.
dfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #352
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Just went and bought a super chip flashpaq down at 4 wheel parts an hour ago...cleared the codes and shifted into 4wd multiple times.

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #353
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Pretty much any higher end code reader will work to do it. Luckily my girlfriends parents own the only small auto service shop in town and they just got a fancy new scanner. I was able to find the codes and clear them, I had to clear the codes 5 times before it worked though. Now it is working but im sure it will come back sometime. This will have to be the fix until Chrysler fixes this issue for good. Im pretty sure that everytime I took my jeep back to the dealer they were just clearing the codes so it was a waste of my money to drive an hour to the dealer to fix nothing. Last time I was in there he was talking about charging me to fix it which is a bunch of bull because I know that it was the recall that caused it, even if they deny it. So everyone make sure you complain to Chrysler so we can get this fixed! ha. I emailed Chrysler Jeep Canada a couple weeks back but haven't got a reply yet.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #354
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestats View Post
Do you think the superchips could work on a diesel engine. When I look at the sepcs of the superchips, the 3.0 diesel engine is not listed.
I doubt it, but I'd suggest you'd be best off calling them and asking them directly.
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #355
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajoczky View Post
I doubt it, but I'd suggest you'd be best off calling them and asking them directly.
I would think it can still clear the codes, just can't do all the other fancy stuff...

Unread 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #356
Jeep1975
2006 XK Commander 

I've been reading this thread and this is exactly what is happening to my 06 Commander. After the N23 recall work in August, I keep getting the codes C140F and C1405. I've opened a case at Chrysler. It has been at my local dealer multiple times for flashing and they even replaced the Transfer Case Actuator (free of charge). The last time I had it there (4 days), the technician called the regional manager to discuss, who said any further work they would have to charge for and they feel the Final Drive Control Module is defective and will cost $621.00 to replace. As they were testing the unit, it started to work (4WD Low) again and they cannot replicate the error or have any idea what is wrong.
The Regional Manager said this issue has nothing to do with the recall and Chrysler stands by him. It is too much of a coincidence that since they performed this recall, which modified the software in the FDCM, this has been the chronic issue.
I don't know what to do at this point. Has anyone with this issue had it resolved? Any suggestions on replacing the Final Drive Control Module (DIY)? I believe it is also known as the Transfer Case Control Module?? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jeep1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #357
abajoczky
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep1975 View Post
Any suggestions on replacing the Final Drive Control Module (DIY)? I believe it is also known as the Transfer Case Control Module?? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Pretty sure it does way more than transfer case related decisions. My FDCM went haywire, not related to the recall or 4wd, and caused my Jeep to think it was running on E85 (I have the 4.7 Flex), which in turn caused an overload of fuel delivery, resulting in serious misfire and not running on all cylinders. Cost me $780-ish to replace at the dealer. It appears to be very simple bolt on and plug it in, but I have no idea if there is any additional programming they had to do once it's installed.
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #358
gschris
2004 WJ 

I took my wifes 06 Commander to the dealership today, they scanned it and came up with ...(suprise!) transfer case shift actuator.. and called the regional rep to see what could be done.. now we wait.. if they come back with a $600 control module that needs to be replaced im pretty sure she is going to be unhappy to say the least..
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #359
kookoo102
2008 XK Commander 

This is funny (but not really)... I went to my local dealer (manassas VA) and asked the service desk if they could look up my XK to see if there were any open recalls. he said N23 Final drive blah blah blah. I told him that I recently skimmed over a thread about people having messed up 4wd after getting this recall, he told me "that does not seem likely" then I asked, if my 4WD was to operate properly before the recall and then mess up in some way afterwords, would it be covered, he said no, it would be on me. I made the appt for the recall anyway. looked at this thread in FULL last night... and canceled today. I will use my e-brake when parked for now.
Shame that this is happening like this.

2002 WJ-LTD-4.7-QD-2in lift - Gone/ 2002 WJ-Laredo-4.0 Traded - Gone/ 1997 ZJ-LTD-4.0-3.5 inch on 31's - Gone / 1995 ZJ-Larado-4.0 - Gone
kookoo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #360
nychaze
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo102 View Post
This is funny (but not really)... I went to my local dealer (manassas VA) and asked the service desk if they could look up my XK to see if there were any open recalls. he said N23 Final drive blah blah blah. I told him that I recently skimmed over a thread about people having messed up 4wd after getting this recall, he told me "that does not seem likely" then I asked, if my 4WD was to operate properly before the recall and then mess up in some way afterwords, would it be covered, he said no, it would be on me. I made the appt for the recall anyway. looked at this thread in FULL last night... and canceled today. I will use my e-brake when parked for now.
Shame that this is happening like this.
Lucky bastard! I have been to the dealer twice with no luck...wish I never did it...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.