N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
Regardless if your 4WD is still functioning, (mine still works flawlessly) it's a safety concern. Lets say your jeep is sitting in your driveway and the T-case decides to shift into neutral, and your jeep rolls over your child! Will you then wish you had the recall performed?
PARK BRAKE.I never part any vehicle or heavy equipment without applying the PARK BRAKE.I don't understand why people do not use their park brake,even with auto trannys.It also takes some of the strain off the park pin.When I park I apply the park break before I shift the tranny into park.Then I know it won't roll away.I will get the recall done if they replace the module.May be it is a glitch in the software that is causing some transfer cases to act up.We all have such good luck with computer up grades,don't we.

fatfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfreddy View Post
I am glad I read this.They are doing a software work around for a cracked PC board that controls the transfer case.The only way I will let them touch mine is when they agree to replace the module that controls the transfer case.This came up in a conversation I was having with an automotive tech I know.We had a good laugh about the software re-write to fix a cracked PC board.He worked for Chrysler for years and we had lots of laughs at the the way they did some recalls.We talked about how it could screw up the way the transfer case would work after the up date.I see from your posts that it did screw things up.

I don't think you understand. Its not a software work around for a cracked PC board. Its in the event that the board cracks or fails it will not shift into neutral. The board would still need to be replaced if it were to fail. So its not a fix for the board, its just so the vehicle does not roll away if this were to happen as I understand it.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Xmind
2007 WK 

Took the Jeep in for the recall this morning. Tested 4 low for the first time since I owned it and it worked fine with no lights set before or after the reflash. I am wondering if there isn't something actually wrong with your controller that wasn't caught with the old firmware and possibly the new firmware has additional diagnostics....like maybe an indicator that your controller board is going bad?
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
hemi4x4crazy

Glad you said something now I know what to do. I use my 4Lo all the time when going to the beach. Btw what lift kit do you have on your jeep and size tires looks great.
hemi4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

I got that "final drive" update about 2 years ago. The dealer updated it "free of charge" during a routine maintenance. However, this new update....ya right am I going lol. I've been following the Forum and heard enough not to go. Eh, my Wk works fine, why chance it?
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I don't think you understand. Its not a software work around for a cracked PC board. Its in the event that the board cracks or fails it will not shift into neutral. The board would still need to be replaced if it were to fail. So its not a fix for the board, its just so the vehicle does not roll away if this were to happen as I understand it.
I understand fully.Every article I read on automotive news sites stated the reason they are shifting into neutral is because of the cracked PC board.I can't see software changing itself in a module unless it might have got a voltage spike or something.The problem is to me is they are not offering to replace the PC board,which would be the proper way to fix this problem IMHO.Typical cheap skate save their money scheme.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #22
WmassWK
2006 WK 

On phone with Chrysler now... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH... no 4 lo......Stealer said t case sensor. I tested the system b4 dropping it off (worked fine) and immediately after receiving it back.

Stay tuned....

...I'm sorry this recall should have no effect on that issue...There is nothing Jeep can do....
WmassWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Xmind
2007 WK 

Quote:
I understand fully.Every article I read on automotive news sites stated the reason they are shifting into neutral is because of the cracked PC board.I can't see software changing itself in a module unless it might have got a voltage spike or something.The problem is to me is they are not offering to replace the PC board,which would be the proper way to fix this problem IMHO.Typical cheap skate save their money scheme.
Disclaimer: I design circuit boards for automotive test equipment, but the following is just theories because without knowing all the circumstances I can't say with 100% certainty.

A replacement board may not resolve the issue...just potentially delay the failure mode for another time. While very likely they are looking to save $$$ on this repair and possibly had a bad/low quality boards fitted, it could also be that the environment this transfer case control board is placed in doesn't allow standard printed circuit boards to survive without some de-lamination/cracks of the board over time.

Freddy, you are correct that software can not fix a physical hardware problem, but it can very easily add additional checks into the control logic of the board before it makes a decision. It is likely these cracks in the board cause certain inputs become electrically disconnected from the controlling processor unit on the board. So instead of the transfer case controller just shifting into neutral based solely on one input wire from the transmission, it could potentially also attempt to query other modules to see if they see the transmission is really shifted into neutral or that the key is in the ignition before it actually puts the vehicle in neutral.

Just because your Jeep is fine now, it doesn't mean it always will be. Obviously if this issue happened right away, they would have had a fix faster than 6 years after the fact. IMO I think it is foolish to think not doing this update is better for your vehicle than to do it.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
ecollins7
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmassWK
On phone with Chrysler now... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH... no 4 lo......Stealer said t case sensor. I tested the system b4 dropping it off (worked fine) and immediately after receiving it back.

Stay tuned....

...I'm sorry this recall should have no effect on that issue...There is nothing Jeep can do....
Did they quote you a price for the sensor? I just checked my codes and that's they code I'm getting
ecollins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
WmassWK
2006 WK 

Problem SOLVED!

Prior to bringing the jeep in I removed the Superchips tune. What I forgot to do was to reset back to factory tire size. During my rage a moment of clarity came and I reset the tire size. I now have 4 low again and no trouble codes. Afterwards I reinstalled the tune with adjusted tire size and all is still good. I don't know if there was an interaction between the stealers flash and the SC or if the computer was reset by the above actions. I just don't know, but it works and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Otherwise the Jeep would have been in Mon morning to start the expensive diagnostics.

*ecollins7 - If I remember correctly the t-case location sensor cannot be purchased separately from the actuator motor and it is roughly $500 + labor
WmassWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
ecollins7
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmassWK
Problem SOLVED!

Prior to bringing the jeep in I removed the Superchips tune. What I forgot to do was to reset back to factory tire size. During my rage a moment of clarity came and I reset the tire size. I now have 4 low again and no trouble codes. Afterwards I reinstalled the tune with adjusted tire size and all is still good. I don't know if there was an interaction between the stealers flash and the SC or if the computer was reset by the above actions. I just don't know, but it works and my blood pressure is back to normal.

Otherwise the Jeep would have been in Mon morning to start the expensive diagnostics.

*ecollins7 - If I remember correctly the t-case location sensor cannot be purchased separately from the actuator motor and it is roughly $500 + labor
I uninstalled my tuner before the fix, reinstalled it the next day but when I went to uninstall it today it won't let me. It's telling me file can't be found
ecollins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

Wow so many issues with this that I really don't want to do it...I never leave my car running when I'm not in it, so it's not really an issue anyways
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
No I'm pretty sure you don't. If the board is cracked or defective it needs to be replaced. The recall is for what happens in the event that it fails they don't want it to go into neutral. They are probably adding some extra safeguards to the logic. So just replacing the board with the same logic would not correct the issue.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmind View Post
Disclaimer: I design circuit boards for automotive test equipment, but the following is just theories because without knowing all the circumstances I can't say with 100% certainty.

A replacement board may not resolve the issue...just potentially delay the failure mode for another time. While very likely they are looking to save $$$ on this repair and possibly had a bad/low quality boards fitted, it could also be that the environment this transfer case control board is placed in doesn't allow standard printed circuit boards to survive without some de-lamination/cracks of the board over time.

Freddy, you are correct that software can not fix a physical hardware problem, but it can very easily add additional checks into the control logic of the board before it makes a decision. It is likely these cracks in the board cause certain inputs become electrically disconnected from the controlling processor unit on the board. So instead of the transfer case controller just shifting into neutral based solely on one input wire from the transmission, it could potentially also attempt to query other modules to see if they see the transmission is really shifted into neutral or that the key is in the ignition before it actually puts the vehicle in neutral.

Just because your Jeep is fine now, it doesn't mean it always will be. Obviously if this issue happened right away, they would have had a fix faster than 6 years after the fact. IMO I think it is foolish to think not doing this update is better for your vehicle than to do it.
Thanks for the good explanation of this.I don't know if my Jeep has ever shifted into neutral because I always apply the park break.I am going to wait for a while to do the up-date.See what happens to other Jeeps and if it was a fluke that some are having problems with this.They might have to come up with some differant software if this problem keeps popping up.Mine is working great right now as far as I know so I don't want to dick with it.I will give it time and then see what is happening with the up-date.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
fatfreddy
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
No I'm pretty sure you don't. If the board is cracked or defective it needs to be replaced. The recall is for what happens in the event that it fails they don't want it to go into neutral. They are probably adding some extra safeguards to the logic. So just replacing the board with the same logic would not correct the issue.
Sure it will correct the issue because the new board isn't cracked and they work fine until they crack.The defection is the crack acording to all the auto news articals I have read.But then you can't trust some of the crap printed in the news or on the internet.Like Mulder used to say"The Truth Is Out There".Wish I could find it some days.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.