N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #181
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Just looked at the actuator they installed in he wife's. It to says "with BRAKE". Not sure if the old one had that. Pretty odd that a part that probably gets used 2-3times a year would suddenly go bad after a computer flash.
I serviced my t-case today, the stock "from the factory" actuator has "with brake" on it as well.

xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #182
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

4wd low is still working 3 days later. Hopefully it'll continue to work.
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #183
Jeepthing08
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman
Just looked at the actuator they installed in he wife's. It to says "with BRAKE". Not sure if the old one had that. Pretty odd that a part that probably gets used 2-3times a year would suddenly go bad after a computer flash.
I use my 4lo 2 or 3 times a week lol
Jeepthing08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #184
zedtechus
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepthing08 View Post
I found about this thread like one month later after I had the recall on my Jeep CRD 2008 4x4 QTII.

Since then I try a few times by week my 4low and is still working fine, no 4wd service mode yet.

I hope will stay like this!.
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #185
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepthing08
Some people might but I bet 90%of the Grands sold hardly ever get put into 4lo.
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #186
xjtrailrider

I have used my 4-low 3 times in 5 years. Mostly when moving the car hauler up a steep hill with low traction.

The Hemi XK makes a damn good tow vehicle by the way! I yank my XJ around on a 19' trailer like it is nothing.
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #187
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
Some people might but I bet 90%of the Grands sold hardly ever get put into 4lo.
Probably correct. I have used mine once since buying it in 08. I used it to pull my neighbor's big pickup truck out of a ditch. He was embarrassed that a little ole GC had to come to his rescue. I almost got him out without the 4Lo but not quite.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #188
fred99x
2008 WK 

Tried 4low shortly after the N23 reflash and no issue. Now a few weeks later I tried it again and have the four wheel low service light on. Made an appointment with the dealership to see what they're going to say. It's past the warranty so I'm not very hopeful.
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #189
chevra
2008 WK 

Well weird story with mine. Took it to the dealership to get the service 4wd 4 low issue looked at. They had it in the shop for a half hour and then he came out and said im sorry i think we did the wrong N23 recall last time because there are two separate ones with the same name apparently. So they did there thing and test drove it and said it was done. I went out and threw it in 4 low and it worked, but then it was stuck in 4 low. Back into the shop it went, and an hour later it came back out and has been working since. They really didnt have an explanation for it so we will see what happens ha.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #190
xjtrailrider

I dropped mine off this morning, they still do not know whats wrong with it. The diagnostics that they use would not link up with Chrysler all day so the shop is full of cars that can not be fixed without retrieving a code. Pissed off right now.

Edit: I got it back today. They re-flashed it 3 times as the procedure required(this was not done on the original recall) and it works flawlessly now!
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #191
fred99x
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred99x View Post
Tried 4low shortly after the N23 reflash and no issue. Now a few weeks later I tried it again and have the four wheel low service light on. Made an appointment with the dealership to see what they're going to say. It's past the warranty so I'm not very hopeful.
So I got the jeep back this morning and low and behold it's repaired ( for now) and at no charge. The invoice indicated "transfer case range position sensor erratic". They reset the code and all is good for now. I am not sure what they did with the sensor but it may be an alternative for some with this issue that don't have warranty.
fred99x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #192
tolo
2007 XK Commander 

My low 4 works now. Apparently the dealer didn't follow the explicit instructions to clear fault codes 3x.... Great that it works. Sad I had to tell them.
tolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #193
Duh

I responded to another post about this, but not all the techs are following the recall procedure. A code may pop up after the flash and it has to be cleared three times in a row or it will look like a dead actuator. Half the techs at my work cant seem to read that and i keep fixing them after the fact. Its not chryslers fault, its techs who cant read. I think they put a hold on actuators because if this dilemma. I pasted the recall info in the other post.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #194
mdamen

I took my GC in for the recall. Tried the 4 low a couple days later and got the Service 4WD System message. Service advisor said the two were probably not related. I took it back in with a copy of the instructions. They cleared the codes, reflashed it and it is working fine now. Service advisor warned that the transfer case actuator might be going bad and if 4 low stops working they will probably need to replace the actuator. We'll see how long this lasts.

My theory is that the new software has a narrower acceptable range for the position sensor in the actuator and a worn actuator will now come up as no good, even though it functions fine.
mdamen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #195
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamen View Post
I took my GC in for the recall. Tried the 4 low a couple days later and got the Service 4WD System message. Service advisor said the two were probably not related. I took it back in with a copy of the instructions. They cleared the codes, reflashed it and it is working fine now. Service advisor warned that the transfer case actuator might be going bad and if 4 low stops working they will probably need to replace the actuator. We'll see how long this lasts.

My theory is that the new software has a narrower acceptable range for the position sensor in the actuator and a worn actuator will now come up as no good, even though it functions fine.
Mine would last anywhere from a day to two weeks
jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.