Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#451 ·
I just got my WK, it was for sale on here last week. PO had the recall done, however it still had the "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" message. Gladly i bought it and a superchips flashpac cae with it so I plugged it in, turned ignition on, and cleared DTC's 3 times without turning ignition off. Everything now works fine. Lets see how long it will last.

#455 ·
Unfortunately, given the many variables involved, we are unable to
diagnose your vehicle's problem via email. We recommend contacting your
authorized dealership to arrange an appointment for proper diagnosis and
repair.

Our dealerships have the factory training, equipment and information
available to them to diagnose and correct problems with our vehicles.
Should your dealer require factory assistance they may contact our
Technical Operations Resource Group or contact their regional Business
Center.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Steve

Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center
Same response I got. Even when I called.

#459 ·
As I understand it, the potential roll away risk is only present when the car is idling in park. Addtionally, if the parking brake is set, then the risk is that much lower.

What makes this a "safety" issue is the remote start. "Potentially", the car could be remotely started and roll away on its own.

Since learning of the "risk", I make a point of setting my parking brake, and I only use the remote start when the car is sitting in my flat driveway.

IMO, a much bigger risk is the N23 recall--I'm not sure why anyone is still thinking of getting this. Considering how few people actually use or check their 4lo, I believe the number of problematic actuators is MUCH MUCH higher.

For the future, if I were buying a used WK I would check if it was recall-eligible, check the 4lo, and even if it worked I would negotiate the price lower on the possiblity that the recall was done anyway, and that 4lo will lock out in the future.

#460 ·
Ya i pretty much got the same reply as you guys, it basically said there recalls are designed to benefit the customer and they directed me to take my concerns to the dealer even though in my email i explained how much money i am wasting by driving there and replacing parts randomly. They obviously dont read the emails fully and i dont get how they cant realize the issue with this many of the same emails coming in. Its kind of sad that a stupid little recall is making me want to switch back to a gm vehicle...

#462 ·
I agree I'm not getting this done on my 09 4.7. Before I got the recall notice I have used my remote start hundreds of times. I just use the parking brake every time now. If they come out with a proper fix then maybe but until then Noway!

#463 ·
Has anyone had a new FDCM installed?

Rather than try to modify the FDCM to cure the problem maybe a new module will......

Well going back and reading the NHTSA report from Chrysler it appears the board defect is on the encoder on the actuator so the problem is not with the FDCM but the actuator.
So installing a new actuator with the old flash FDCM will fix all.

The new flash probably is just a safety fix that actually causes more shutdowns as the FDCM just sees the DTC and shuts down the actuator circuit.
So no 4 low.. but it just makes the owner more pissed as now the DTC has to be reset.

It won't go into neutral... but then again it won't go into 4 low either...........without a reset.

#466 ·
My dealer was quick to point out that the actuator has fixed 100% of the ones they have replaced and ordered one for mine under my lifetime powertrain warranty. It should be in next month.

I really think that Chrysler should compensate each of us for our troubles regarding this recall in some way. Free lifetime oil changes or something.

#468 ·
Blown7 said:
Has anyone had a new FDCM installed? Rather than try to modify the FDCM to cure the problem maybe a new module will...... Well going back and reading the NHTSA report from Chrysler it appears the board defect is on the encoder on the actuator so the problem is not with the FDCM but the actuator. So installing a new actuator with the old flash FDCM will fix all. The new flash probably is just a safety fix that actually causes more shutdowns as the FDCM just sees the DTC and shuts down the actuator circuit. So no 4 low.. but it just makes the owner more pissed as now the DTC has to be reset. It won't go into neutral... but then again it won't go into 4 low either...........without a reset. .
See my last response a page or so back. Yes I have a new FDCM, no it is not fixed. I had the codes come up, cleared them, and had them come up again, so twice in the past 4 days. Towing and using tow/haul seems to set off the codes on mine. Never fails to set them off every single time.

But, I also don't think this is solely due to the recall because I had the service 4wd codes and problems with it a full year before the recall was even issued. Just seems more frequent since the recall.

#470 ·
This thread is almost four months old now. The information was forwarded to the appropriate people awhile ago. Complete with some quotes and links.

Sorry, I'm not the decision maker, just the messenger. Wish I had something concrete to tell you.

Everybody replying to Steve won't help. Here's the current link to email Jeep (the website was recently changed.) You can PM me if you wish, but it's just going to fill up my mailbox so others can't get through to me.

#472 ·
Lee/Jeep Cares--

Thank you for posting, as always. Like others, I couldn't help noticing that you've been unusually silent through this troubling thread. I am always glad for your input.

I would like to make a comment here, as a spectator to this issue (I won't let the N23 near my Jeep). I am alarmed that a "safety" recall is subject to so much game-playing by various dealers. While some owners have gotten repeated free parts (out of warranty), others have had to pay up front for parts that nobody can garrantee will fix the problem--Chrysler's problem.

With all the people calling or emailing to say that 4lo went out after the recall, Chrysler still claims not to see a connection. This is despicable.

#475 ·
Lee/Jeep Cares--

I would like to make a comment here, as a spectator to this issue (I won't let the N23 near my Jeep). I am alarmed that a "safety" recall is subject to so much game-playing by various dealers. While some owners have gotten repeated free parts (out of warranty), others have had to pay up front for parts that nobody can garrantee will fix the problem--Chrysler's problem.

With all the people calling or emailing to say that 4lo went out after the recall, Chrysler still claims not to see a connection. This is despicable.
They should be sued for screwing people out of their money...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#476 ·
Ok. Just returned from the dealer where they installed the actuator (that they made me pre-pay for). It started out bad when I must have pissed off the svc manager by telling him that I wanted the old one. I have engaged 4LO and 4Neutral a number of times without a failure. We will see!!!

When I got home I opened the box to look at the old unit. I posted some time ago that the dealer found a broken connector. Well, they were correct. But the only broken part was the little catch on the outside of the connector that someone broke while trying to disconnect the plug that must have been stuck because there is evidence that it was pried off with something like a screwdriver. Since the actuator has been worked on by three different dealers around the country (I travel a lot) it’s pointless to do anything about that other than be pissed.

I have my fingers crossed and pray to the Mopar gods that this has fixed my problem!

#2,192 ·
Ok. Just returned from the dealer where they installed the actuator (that they made me pre-pay for). It started out bad when I must have pissed off the svc manager by telling him that I wanted the old one. I have engaged 4LO and 4Neutral a number of times without a failure. We will see!!!

When I got home I opened the box to look at the old unit. I posted some time ago that the dealer found a broken connector. Well, they were correct. But the only broken part was the little catch on the outside of the connector that someone broke while trying to disconnect the plug that must have been stuck because there is evidence that it was pried off with something like a screwdriver. Since the actuator has been worked on by three different dealers around the country (I travel a lot) it's pointless to do anything about that other than be pissed.

I have my fingers crossed and pray to the Mopar gods that this has fixed my problem!
Is this fix still working for you? and was it the Tcase acuator replaced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.