N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 115 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #1711
MikeJeep09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 231
Chrysler is treating us all like crap. We are and will get nowhere. I just thought that Chrysler may have done the right thing and fixed their fix. This whole thing stinks. This like many others on here will be my last Chrysler product and what is worse is Chrysler doesn't care. Half the dealers say there is a problem and have never heard of any problems. Chrysler is saying there is no connection although thousands were afflicted. Wish I never did the recall my Jeep work fine before and I have wasted hours gas and time to get this resolved with only the faint hope that Chrysler will do the right thing. Most people have just thrown in the towel and purchased an old fdcm or flashpaq. Others don't care and keep going back and forth to the dealer because they are under waurrantee. I too will fade from the pages of this thread and Chrysler will have won this battle but will lose the war.

MikeJeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #1712
FJR06
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Orono, Maine
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDan View Post
I had no reason to doubt that the update was new till the service manager told me their information doesn't say that it's new. After getting the update I called Marvin at Chrysler, whom I've been talking to on and off. I told him about the update and asked him if it was new. He said his information says it goes back to the beginning. His take is the dealers just weren't doing it.
This is consistent with my post a day or two ago. My service manage in Bangor, Maine told me that the first attempt was improperly done, but that this time they followed the recall instructions to the letter. 4-Lo still works after a few hundred miles. I still wonder if anyone hears clunking and feels some drive-train slippage when rapidly accelerating from low speed (I mean WOT)? I am having a heck of a time figuring this out, but it shows temporal correlation with the N23 recall work... It does not appear to be mechanical.
__________________
2005 GC, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, BT Catch Can, Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, NRG EPAC voltage stabilizer, Firestone Destination 255/70/17, Bilstein 5100 shocks and struts (with 2-inch lift setting), 2 inch Rusty's rear spacers, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Modern Muscle 85 mm ported throttle body, 4XGuard Front Guard.
FJR06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #1713
johngreen1234
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: beverly hills, ca
Posts: 293
The part that many of you don't seem to get is that buying a junkyard FDCM is not "throwing in the towel", it's fixing your car. Anything else is either a band aid (flash paq, fuse fix) or delusional ("my service manager said . . .").

Unfortunately for a resolution, there have not been "thousands" of complaints, there have been dozens. I have no doubt there are thousands cases of disabled 4lo, but most people haven't checked 4lo and never will--if they get stuck they'll call a tow truck.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #1714
Jaashua
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rome, New York
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreen1234 View Post
The part that many of you don't seem to get is that buying a junkyard FDCM is not "throwing in the towel", it's fixing your car. Anything else is either a band aid (flash paq, fuse fix) or delusional ("my service manager said . . .").

Unfortunately for a resolution, there have not been "thousands" of complaints, there have been dozens. I have no doubt there are thousands cases of disabled 4lo, but most people haven't checked 4lo and never will--if they get stuck they'll call a tow truck.
Don't say that around here. People gets mad.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #1715
ianrmz250
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hertfordshire England UK
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreen1234 View Post
The part that many of you don't seem to get is that buying a junkyard FDCM is not "throwing in the towel", it's fixing your car. Anything else is either a band aid (flash paq, fuse fix) or delusional ("my service manager said . . .").

Unfortunately for a resolution, there have not been "thousands" of complaints, there have been dozens. I have no doubt there are thousands cases of disabled 4lo, but most people haven't checked 4lo and never will--if they get stuck they'll call a tow truck.
x 2 on that . I fitted a pre N23 FDCM from a scrapyard here in the U.K cost 80 . I am now in a win situation in that my Jeep is now fixed and i know when i need 4 LOW it WILL work 100% , also my Jeep is recorded by Chrysler Fiat as having N23 carried out (for future resale) . The actuator replacement is BS the fault is clearly in the FDCM .
I will NOT let CF touch my Jeep again i will carry out service and repairs myself and use independent workshops for diagnosis.
ianrmz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #1716
MikeJeep09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 231
So spending money on an old fdcm is not throwing in the towel? Chrysler pays nothing for their error but we pay for an fdcm and the chance of a roll away and not being able to use remote start. That is not fixing my car it is disabling my car at the risk of others. Relying on the ebrake and not using the remote start is throwing in the towel? May as well get some chocks in case the ebrake lets go. Chrysler now has forum people arguing for them that they do not have to make it right? I guess I am in the minority. Next time I have a customer that gets a roof leak I will just give them a bucket and say there you go, good as new. Sorry to disagree with you guys. Can't argue most won't use 4 lo but they did pay for it and will pay again with poor trade in value. Stirring the pot one post at a time.lol
MikeJeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #1717
HappyNomad
Member
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR06 View Post

This is consistent with my post a day or two ago. My service manage in Bangor, Maine told me that the first attempt was improperly done, but that this time they followed the recall instructions to the letter. 4-Lo still works after a few hundred miles. I still wonder if anyone hears clunking and feels some drive-train slippage when rapidly accelerating from low speed (I mean WOT)? I am having a heck of a time figuring this out, but it shows temporal correlation with the N23 recall work... It does not appear to be mechanical.
Funny you should mention... I have noticed a thump when shifting from P to R or D and between R and D. Maybe I'll just stick my head in the sand and hope I have 4LO to get out!!!
__________________
HappyNomad
'06 Commander Limited, Hemi, QDII,
N23=Yes, "New" Actuator
'98 Cherokee Limited --- S-O-L-D! :(
HappyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #1718
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR06
This is consistent with my post a day or two ago. My service manage in Bangor, Maine told me that the first attempt was improperly done, but that this time they followed the recall instructions to the letter. 4-Lo still works after a few hundred miles. I still wonder if anyone hears clunking and feels some drive-train slippage when rapidly accelerating from low speed (I mean WOT)? I am having a heck of a time figuring this out, but it shows temporal correlation with the N23 recall work... It does not appear to be mechanical.
Could it be the bushings for the front axle need replaced from normal wear? My tires are worn, that darn N23!
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #1719
sedevacante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Park Falls, Wisconsin
Posts: 89
I dunno - all the Chrysler bashing, but they fixed mine at no cost and it works and has been working for over a month now, and as FJR said - the 2nd dealer I took it to said that the recall had not been done properly the first time. There are many in this thread who report having the recall done and still have 4Low. I am very much tending to believe that the issue is at the local dealerships not doing the recall procedure properly. If it was the recall itself that is the problem - then everyone should be losing 4Low and no matter how many times it is re-done - 4 Low would still be lost, but this is not the case - many have had the recall done and still have 4Low, I had the recall re-done and have had 4Low for a month now. Before I took mine in to the 2nd dealer I told them about this thread and they contacted Chrysler before I brought it in to make certain that they did it correctly - and I have had no issues since.
sedevacante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #1720
MikeJeep09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedevacante View Post
I dunno - all the Chrysler bashing, but they fixed mine at no cost and it works and has been working for over a month now, and as FJR said - the 2nd dealer I took it to said that the recall had not been done properly the first time. There are many in this thread who report having the recall done and still have 4Low. I am very much tending to believe that the issue is at the local dealerships not doing the recall procedure properly. If it was the recall itself that is the problem - then everyone should be losing 4Low and no matter how many times it is re-done - 4 Low would still be lost, but this is not the case - many have had the recall done and still have 4Low, I had the recall re-done and have had 4Low for a month now. Before I took mine in to the 2nd dealer I told them about this thread and they contacted Chrysler before I brought it in to make certain that they did it correctly - and I have had no issues since.
That would be awesome, that is all I want, my vehicle to perform properly,but Chrysler has not stepped up to the plate to help and is denying there is any problem with Jeeps losing 4 lo after the recall. Which we know is not true. Another thought I have is all those people who are using old fdcm's. Who is LIABLE when the vehicle does roll away, certainly not Chrysler they fixed it so there is no rollaway(or 4 lo in some cases). The person that put the old fdcm becomes liable Chrysler washes their hands and you get the lawyers and explain the damage you caused because YOU decided it was more important to have 4 lo then worry about roll aways. The only reason I have not done the old fdcm is to give Chrysler the chance to make this right, I can not afford for my vehicle to injure someone because I was so desperate to have 4 lo.
MikeJeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #1721
road_tripper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: las vegas, nv
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJeep09 View Post
Another thought I have is all those people who are using old fdcm's. Who is LIABLE when the vehicle does roll away
well, considering the problem n23 purports to fix has been present for 9+ years, I would think the same person would liable as before the recall.

Chrysler has no legal obligation to fix every jeep with the problem, they only have to send out the letters, and if the owner brings the jeep to the dealer, they have to apply the (agreed-upon in settlement hearings by the lawyers) flash to that particular jeep for free.

I don't see anywhere in the recall notice that prohibits an owner from replacing any part of the drivetrain. One might argue that the lack of such an instruction could be grounds for Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat responsibility It certainly doesn't say which part of the drivetrain computers are flashed, so how is a consumer to know which bits need to be reflashed if a component is replaced????

In fact, since the 'fix' involves replacing actuators, swapping in an old fdcm shouldn't be a problem at all!
road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #1722
MikeJeep09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 231
"Chrysler has no legal obligation to fix every jeep with the problem" Not sure I agree with this hence the recall. If the problem is an actuator with a cracked board that would be Chryslers responsibility since that was what the recall was for. Swapping out an old fdcm knowing that it can cause rollaways is a problem but not Chryslers problem.
MikeJeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #1723
CavallinoRed
Member
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNomad View Post
Funny you should mention... I have noticed a thump when shifting from P to R or D and between R and D. Maybe I'll just stick my head in the sand and hope I have 4LO to get out!!!
That sounds more like a bad nose bushing on the frond diff. Very common problem. If so...worth replacing the side bushings while you have access. This is a great post on the fix:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...ement-1299567/
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #1724
oldsmoke
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 241
Junkyard FDCM failure?

Just wondering if anyone who has installed a junkyard FDCM has experienced loss of 4Lo yet?

Chrysler is never going to admit that their N23 recall is at fault and my local dealer wants to do another actuator replacement and then the transfer case if that doesn't work.

As B7 says I should get the junkyard FDCM to keep me going but keep putting the N23 buggered one back in and going for warranty service just to drive them crazy.
__________________
Diesel Ecotune-DPF, 32" tires, 2" lift. 4xGuard bib, tow hooks
oldsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #1725
CavallinoRed
Member
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
Chrysler is never going to admit that their N23 recall is at fault and my local dealer wants to do another actuator replacement and then the transfer case if that doesn't work.
If you are waiting on a back-ordered actuator under warranty and your last N23 re-flash was done before 3/4/14 suggest you check with your dealer. Can't say for sure but betting that Chrysler will require the recall be done under the new procedure released last week before they will OK any more actuator replacements. It would not be out of character for CF to cancel the back-order and not tell you or your dealer.

Think the first step of the new N23 procedure is something like:

Step One. Verify that owner is totally pissed off before going to Step Two.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.