N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #1606
reldridg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDan View Post
What did you replace it with? And did you trade it or sell it privately? If you sold it yourself, did you mention the N23 problem or pass it on to some unsuspecting buyer?
I traded it for a 2014 Sierra pickup.

I used a superchips programmer to clear the code and took it to the dealership. The dealership was well aware of the n23 issues. The very first thing they looked at was if the recall had been performed and when they saw that it had they dinged me on the trade in for it.

Who knows if they replaced the transfer case motor but the jeep overall was in good condition, I got $8500 in trade and it was on the dealership's website a week later for $13,100 and then was gone a few days later so they either sold it or sent it out to pasture.

After owning several jeeps which included the following: CJ7 put 100,000 miles on it, 1989 Cherokee (drove it from 12,000 miles and sold it at 215,000), 1998 Cherokee (drove from 50,000 miles to 209,000) and then this last Grand Cherokee, three jeeps were great and this last one was just an amazing amount of work to keep going and even then chrysler decided to help me out to make sure it did not keep going for me.

Last edited by reldridg; 03-04-2014 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Poor Grammar
reldridg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #1607
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutro View Post
Thanks for the reply RB145,
I understand the probs I have with my WK are unrelated to the recall. But no 4-low is no 4-low to my old muddled mind. The sad fact is that there have been strange and intermitant problems with the electronics on these vehicles since the day they were new. Weather the fault is with Chrysler or the suppliers such as FCA remains to be sorted out. We just all want our rides to operate as they should with out all the extra head aches as I see it. The thing is they want to N23 mine too, also. So if I let them will it make another problem for me? I don't like fixing something that ain't broke, it just ain't natural???
If you want it to operate like it should you need to get it repaired. Looking the other way won't make the problem go away.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #1608
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reldridg View Post
I traded it for a 2014 Sierra pickup.

I used a superchips programmer to clear the code and took it to the dealership. The dealership was well aware of the n23 issues. The very first thing they looked at was if the recall had been performed and when they saw that it had they dinged me on the trade in for it.

Who knows if they replaced the transfer case motor but the jeep overall was in good condition, I got $8500 in trade and it was on the dealership's website a week later for $13,100 and then was gone a few days later so they either sold it or sent it out to pasture.

After owning several jeeps which included the following: CJ7 put 100,000 miles on it, 1989 Cherokee (drove it from 12,000 miles and sold it at 215,000), 1998 Cherokee (drove from 50,000 miles to 209,000) and then this last Grand Cherokee, three jeeps were great and this last one was just an amazing amount of work to keep going and even then chrysler decided to help me out to make sure it did not keep going for me.

Yea right I'm sure the first thing looked for was that recall. Then they dinged you for having it done. I think there is some BS on this thread. Lol
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #1609
reldridg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
Yea right I'm sure the first thing looked for was that recall. Then they dinged you for having it done. I think there is some BS on this thread. Lol
I guess maybe not the first thing they looked at, but when we were sitting inside working up the deal before they went outside and looked at the jeep they put in my vin number and looked at the vehicle history, and saw that the recall had been performed by another dealership in town and said "there have been several problems with the n23 recall this will have an effect on the price"

So were they just messing with me to drive the price down probably ... but were they aware of the recall issues and made it an effective part of their negotiating strategy definitely.
reldridg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #1610
GoLeafsGo
2005 WK 

I have the same issue. Went to my own mechanic once I bought the '05 WK from a dealer to figure out the little things here and there that weren't right. The 4x4Low activated the 'Service 4WD' until I turned the vehicle off, at which point it reset, so I asked them to figure it out. Took them forever to figure it out (I thought it was some minor electrical switch thing that wasn't to do with any other Jeep, so I didn't look it up online) and when they finally got back to me, they figured out that it needed a new module. I didn't get it done because I had already spent so much on freaking getting it checked and don't need 4wdLo that badly.

Haven't tried to see what a dealer would do yet, but how the heck can Jeep honestly claim that this is all simply a coincidence?
GoLeafsGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #1611
Uncle_Norm
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Norm View Post
In the meantime, I am taking my 2005 Grand Cherokee back in the morning. The dealer service dept is plenty polite and seems genuinely interested in the problem. They did already warn me that they know that the "control module" is on back order with no end in site. They evidently have several customers waiting.
Yet, I feel their hands are tied because they can't really say that it is the N23 recall causing the problem.
After 2 full days of research, not just reading this forum but also finding other independent articles, I am hoping they will at least get on my side to make the argument with Chrysler to fix my now broken Jeep that was working perfectly fine before the N23 blunder.
Ok, the dealer having a desire to find a solution, was more than willing to listen to everything I learned on this forum and elsewhere. I can't remember the mechanic on here who spelled out the steps 15/16 and clearing until the codes are actually gone, but that is what I asked the dealer here to do. They just called me and said it took 10x to get the codes to clear. Now all seems to me working and they put it through some paces. Then let it sit overnight to let gremlins play with it. They tried it again today several times and all seems good. Sooooo, just maybe it is the procedure more than the software.
Not getting to excited, the dealer asked that I keep trying it out for a couple of weeks before they call back some customers waiting for new FDCMs (the supposed fix) and try the same procedure on their Jeeps.

I will keep the forum up to date.
Uncle_Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #1612
opticstalk

Chrysler did some reprogramming and replaced transfer case and actuator at no charge. Fixed the "service 4wd system" for me, thanks jeep.
opticstalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #1613
MikeJeep09

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticstalk View Post
Chrysler did some reprogramming and replaced transfer case and actuator at no charge. Fixed the "service 4wd system" for me, thanks jeep.
Were you under warrantee?
MikeJeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #1614
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was in for them to cut a new key & program it yesterday. While I was in, I had them confirm my suspicions of the top differential pivot bushing being bad. They came back and told me that I also needed the N23 recall, which I promptly requested they not do. The guy immediately ran back and made sure that he was NOT flashing that recall. I confirmed before I left that 4Lo worked, and will continue to confirm the next week or so, just to make sure they actually didn't flash it. Will also check on the website to confirm it doesn't show up as completed, because when I checked it a week or so ago, it showed it wasn't.

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK - Black, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.73
Black WK Club Member #122 | HEMI Club Member #87
jtodaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #1615
CommanderDan
2006 XK Commander 

Delete
CommanderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #1616
Uncle_Norm
2005 WK 

Ok, got my 2005 Grand Cherokee back from the dealer. All is working well. They did have to flash during step 15 10 times before all codes would finally clear. I checked it there and drove it home and checked it again. For now, the 4w low is working good, maybe smoother then ever before. Maybe by coincidence, but a slow speed surge/stutter I had is also gone. I can feel the car unlock during slow speed light acceleration and work smoothly. For now, I am a happy camper again.
Uncle_Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #1617
WK_Okie

2005 WK 

I had the recall done around the end of December and I have been checking it every weekend, no issues. I know some of you may hate me for it, but I wanted to keep you all informed that some do work. Now, that being said, if I had known of the issues beforehand, never would have had it done in the first place.
Black WK Club #127

"Life is the rent we pay for the space we occupy."
WK_Okie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #1618
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

Can we try to stay on topic here, and keep other transmission/t-case issues and pictures of new jeep models elsewhere? Thanks in advance...
Jtav2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #1619
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

My next step on my N23 journey is to take my '06 back to the dealer that originally did the N23 to re-flash. The dealer so far seem like really good folks but need to go through the steps of the recall showing actuator error code then replacing the actuator etc. Just want to be in the system so when (hopefully) this is resolved that I'll be in line for the new program. Might be one of the lucky ones and a re-flash will work (one can hope)

My question is other than taking a copy of the N23 recall steps, what are the main items i need to verify that are part of the process.

So far i have:

1) Must be connected to a charger supplying between 13 and 13.5 volts
2) Errors must be cleared at least 3 times

Anything else?

I'm going into this with open eyes but with the understanding that the dealers are also in a hard place as well. My WK has already had the re-flash tried once but want to make sure that all items that might not let it take have been covered.
CavallinoRed is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #1620
boundsmb
2005 WK 

In my post #1192 I told of writing Sergio Marchione President & CEO of Chrysler Fiat and Michael Manley President of Jeep. The letters worked. The letters were sent Return receipt, Certified, Restricted delivery. I wish everyone on this forum would write a non-threatening letter to both of them explaining the difficulties the N-23 update has caused them. I also told them I had looked at a new Jeep and it was not going to happen until they made all 295,000 N-23 customers happy. I got 95% of my money back, including paying for the junk yard FDCM, service charges at other Jeep dealers, transfer case motor and most of the gasoline we had to buy instead of being able to tow behind our RV . I have a direct line to someone that assured me that the latest N-23 updated will fix "service 4 wheel drive" nightmare. I removed my junk yard FDCM before this was done. So far we have towed to Daytona 500 and back and it still goes into Neutral. It usually takes a month for it to act up. I am in a wait and see mode.

If it does act, up they want to know, and they will.

My dealer and his tech said the N-23 re-flash was the same part #, but they could not tell if the firmware had been updated. It would take Blown7 to be able to figure that out. I sent a message to Blown7 through the message feature of this forum, to send him my original FDCM to reflash it with the old code. He did not respond, and it worked out that I had not sent my FDCM to him.
boundsmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.