N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #1531
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollindom View Post

There hasn't been a set time for when the failure takes place. I felt all high and mighty because there wasn't any failure for months. Every time I tested the low range it worked flawlessly. I just knew I was one of the lucky ones who wasn't going to have trouble. Then one day after 1157 miles is when I got the "Service 4WD System" message. After a reflash from the dealer (having to leave my Jeep at the dealer all day) it is working again without replacing a single part. For how long this time is anyone's guess.
Mine lasted almost a week once then only a day every time thereafter

jjarvis0007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #1532
CommanderDan

Delete

Last edited by CommanderDan; 05-22-2014 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Delete
CommanderDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #1533
sedevacante

I understand that no one has had a vehicle for a year since the recall - I was just using the time frame of a year to make a point. I have put nearly 3000 miles and almost 3 weeks on it and no issues since the reflash - at what point do I consider it "good"? Should I still be looking for a pre-update FDCM? Should I wait it out a little longer and see if I have any issues? At what point is it "good"?
sedevacante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #1534
sedevacante

oops - actually it is nearly 2000 miles - not 3000 - i figured it out wrong in my head
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #1535
RVThere
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedevacante View Post
I understand that no one has had a vehicle for a year since the recall - I was just using the time frame of a year to make a point. I have put nearly 3000 miles and almost 3 weeks on it and no issues since the reflash - at what point do I consider it "good"? Should I still be looking for a pre-update FDCM? Should I wait it out a little longer and see if I have any issues? At what point is it "good"?
A pre-update FDCM is about $100. That's cheap insurance for anytime it does go bad.

I got the recall done on 10/23, it was able to go into neutral to pull behind an RV on 11/13 and got the Service 4WD System message on 12/19. Went back to dealer on 12/26 and they installed the new actuator on 2/20. I'm hopeful but there's no way I won't have backup going forward.
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #1536
sedevacante

Rv - what is the best way to find one?
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #1537
RVThere
2008 WK 

Quote:
Rv - what is the best way to find one?
Check my post #1338 in this thread that has a step by step explanation.
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #1538
sedevacante

Thanks
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #1539
Blown7

Quote:
I have asked this several times, but no one has answered or given an opinion. On Monday it will be 3 weeks since the dealer reflashed my Commander. I have tested it every day, sometimes a couple times a day, I have engaged and driven in 4Low for a few minutes in the snow several times now. At what point can I consider this issue fixed? If it is some sort of issue with voltage tolerances, wouldn't it have showed up within 3 weeks? If it is a voltage issue - is there something I can do to push the limits to see if it is fixed permanently?

Any opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

No one has a crystal ball or can foresee the future.

You can consider the issue fixed when your happy.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the meta-cognitive ability to realize their mistakes.
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #1540
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post

No one has a crystal ball or can foresee the future.

You can consider the issue fixed when your happy.

I'll consider it fixed when Chrysler grows a pair and sends me a later stating they will FIX it right for no cost. I'm not holding my breathe for that though.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #1541
sedevacante

I guess what I am getting at is that if it is a voltage problem - one would think that something causes a surge that then brings about the code - right? If it is not a voltage problem and is some sort of self diagnostic problem, one would think that there is some sort of interval that would trigger the code - right? Why would it take a day for one person, a week for another, and months for another for the code to be triggered and therefore the loss of 4Low? It seems to me, and I admit I know very little about this stuff, that it would be either triggered by a certain amount of miles or by something that would cause a voltage surge, would it not?
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #1542
sedevacante

jjarvis - but for me - I have not been charged anything and the 4Low has been engaging every day for almost 3 weeks. I may still buy a pre-flashed FDCM just in case - but I am tending to think that after 3 weeks and almost 2000 miles of testing it daily and using it several times that it is likely fixed at no cost to me.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #1543
jjarvis0007
2005 WK 

Quote:
jjarvis - but for me - I have not been charged anything and the 4Low has been engaging every day for almost 3 weeks. I may still buy a pre-flashed FDCM just in case - but I am tending to think that after 3 weeks and almost 2000 miles of testing it daily and using it several times that it is likely fixed at no cost to me.
I haven't been charged anything either and I'm far out of warranty. Just sucks to drop your vehicle off at a place that should be able to fix it and it only gets worse. Also having a vehicle that is suppose to do something that its not due to their ignorance.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #1544
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

The only way to know it's fixed is: 1. Jeep admits and then identifies a difference between the current fix method and and a new fix method and then 2. people that have it done qualify that they no longer experience an issue for over a year. I won't do the recall until those 2 things happened and I am not holding my breath. Look at what GM did on the recent ignition issue, years with no notification, people died, still nothing, then finally it reached over 1.3+ million recalled vehicles. Put it all in perspective and you will realize what extent companies will or won't go to.
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #1545
sedevacante

Oh - I agree, if I had not had the recall done - I would not do it either - obviously there is some issue with it - whether it is techs not doing it right the first time, whether it is the voltage problem, or whether it is the least likely - that it is some other issue that is now being detected.

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.