Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low!

Tags
error recall
735K views 5K replies 513 participants last post by  MikeJeep09 
#1 ·
I had the Commander (4.7L, QTII) in for the recall less than two weeks ago, dealer performed the "reprogram final drive controller" reflash.

This morning I went to use 4wd low (first time since reflash), and immediately got the "Service 4wd System" light. It did not engage 4-low.

Light disappears once vehicle is restarted but comes back immediately if I attempt to go to 4-low, and stays on until I turn it off and restart.

Has anyone else who has had the recall performed experienced this?

If you've had it done, you may want to check.

I have an appointment to have it looked at so we wll see what happens, and I will update as I learn more.

Check your 4-low before signing off on the repair/recall.

#351 ·
Question:

I found and read the 23 pages of posts in this thread after scheduling the N23 recall with a dealer tomorrow.

I am inclined to postpone the reflash until later when the kinks are ironed out. Aside from what appears to be a low probability that the transfer case would slip into neutral, are there any other potential problems with delay? For example, could my GC be rendered inoperative on the road if the transfer case disengaged, etc.? I need 4wd Low, and can't risk it being inoperative.

I will speak to the service rep about this thread, and will be interested in his response and assurances, if any.

fyi, I don't recall reading other accounts about receiving two recall notices as I received. One explained the potential problem of the transfer case moving though the neutral position with the status that software update is not yet ready. The other stating that the Final Drive Controller Module software will be reprogramed.

#356 ·
I've been reading this thread and this is exactly what is happening to my 06 Commander. After the N23 recall work in August, I keep getting the codes C140F and C1405. I've opened a case at Chrysler. It has been at my local dealer multiple times for flashing and they even replaced the Transfer Case Actuator (free of charge). The last time I had it there (4 days), the technician called the regional manager to discuss, who said any further work they would have to charge for and they feel the Final Drive Control Module is defective and will cost $621.00 to replace. As they were testing the unit, it started to work (4WD Low) again and they cannot replicate the error or have any idea what is wrong.
The Regional Manager said this issue has nothing to do with the recall and Chrysler stands by him. It is too much of a coincidence that since they performed this recall, which modified the software in the FDCM, this has been the chronic issue.
I don't know what to do at this point. Has anyone with this issue had it resolved? Any suggestions on replacing the Final Drive Control Module (DIY)? I believe it is also known as the Transfer Case Control Module?? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#357 ·
Any suggestions on replacing the Final Drive Control Module (DIY)? I believe it is also known as the Transfer Case Control Module?? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Pretty sure it does way more than transfer case related decisions. My FDCM went haywire, not related to the recall or 4wd, and caused my Jeep to think it was running on E85 (I have the 4.7 Flex), which in turn caused an overload of fuel delivery, resulting in serious misfire and not running on all cylinders. Cost me $780-ish to replace at the dealer. It appears to be very simple bolt on and plug it in, but I have no idea if there is any additional programming they had to do once it's installed.

#358 ·
I took my wifes 06 Commander to the dealership today, they scanned it and came up with ...(suprise!) transfer case shift actuator.. and called the regional rep to see what could be done.. now we wait.. if they come back with a $600 control module that needs to be replaced im pretty sure she is going to be unhappy to say the least..

#359 ·
This is funny (but not really)... I went to my local dealer (manassas VA) and asked the service desk if they could look up my XK to see if there were any open recalls. he said N23 Final drive blah blah blah. I told him that I recently skimmed over a thread about people having messed up 4wd after getting this recall, he told me "that does not seem likely" then I asked, if my 4WD was to operate properly before the recall and then mess up in some way afterwords, would it be covered, he said no, it would be on me. I made the appt for the recall anyway. looked at this thread in FULL last night... and canceled today. I will use my e-brake when parked for now.
Shame that this is happening like this.

#362 ·
Well, I had the commander back in to the dealership yet again. Turns out they lied about changing out the transfer case actuator, and got caught by Chrysler during my communication between them. They will be replacing it, but they claim it's still on backorder. I think I'm gonna go the superchips route here soon. Does anyone know if the programmer permanently clears the codes and fixes the problem, or does it come back like when the dealership clears it? Also, could someone post up the exact model of superchips again? I lost it in the 20+ pages of info here.

Thanks!

#363 ·
Well, I had the commander back in to the dealership yet again. Turns out they lied about changing out the transfer case actuator, and got caught by Chrysler during my communication between them. They will be replacing it, but they claim it's still on backorder. I think I'm gonna go the superchips route here soon. Does anyone know if the programmer permanently clears the codes and fixes the problem, or does it come back like when the dealership clears it? Also, could someone post up the exact model of superchips again? I lost it in the 20+ pages of info here.

Thanks!
It'll come back eventually just like from the dealer, mine has before. But, at least you'll be able to the clear the codes without having to visit the dealer. Mine is a Flashpaq 3875, bought it used and unlocked off of Craigslist for $150.

#365 ·
I was told today that the "Final Drive Control Module" is the same as the "Transfer Case Control Module" for all the DIY's out there. It can be changed easily, but (you guessed it) it has to be programmed by the dealer. Part two to the problem (from what I was told) is that there appears to be a shortage of them (RL044129AO, latest model, new and refurbished, NV 245 Transfer Case). Jeez, I wonder why there is a shortage. LOL....
As I mentioned in a prior post, I opened a case with Chrysler that hit a dead-end when the regional manager said the failure/malfunction of the FDCM is not related to the recall.... However and unfortunately, until Chrysler finally recognizes or admits (if ever) that this is a related issue, you will have to pay for the installation and/or programming of the FDCM if you wish to use your 4WD Low Range. I'm just hoping this is the fix and not a shot in the dark.
I'm not sure what else to do at this point other than letting them install and program the FDCM (if one is available) to the tune of $504.75. I was quoted $621.00, but I was told that was in error. If and when, this too becomes covered by the recall, I was told you can submit to Chrysler for reimbursement, you just need the receipt regardless if you still own the vehicle
I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions/insights. Is there a way to fast track this additional recall issue?? I usually never get worked up about this kind of thing, but this really has me upset....

#375 ·
I was told today that the "Final Drive Control Module" is the same as the "Transfer Case Control Module" for all the DIY's out there. It can be changed easily, but (you guessed it) it has to be programmed by the dealer. Part two to the problem (from what I was told) is that there appears to be a shortage of them (RL044129AO, latest model, new and refurbished, NV 245 Transfer Case). Jeez, I wonder why there is a shortage. LOL....
As I mentioned in a prior post, I opened a case with Chrysler that hit a dead-end when the regional manager said the failure/malfunction of the FDCM is not related to the recall.... However and unfortunately, until Chrysler finally recognizes or admits (if ever) that this is a related issue, you will have to pay for the installation and/or programming of the FDCM if you wish to use your 4WD Low Range. I'm just hoping this is the fix and not a shot in the dark.
I'm not sure what else to do at this point other than letting them install and program the FDCM (if one is available) to the tune of $504.75. I was quoted $621.00, but I was told that was in error. If and when, this too becomes covered by the recall, I was told you can submit to Chrysler for reimbursement, you just need the receipt regardless if you still own the vehicle
I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions/insights. Is there a way to fast track this additional recall issue?? I usually never get worked up about this kind of thing, but this really has me upset....
Who's to say they don't mess that one up just like they did the first one? Obviously everyone's worked great before the recall. It's the programming not the hardware.

#368 ·
I fell super lucky after reading this thread. I never used my 4-low before I did the recall. But tested it for the first time since owning this jeep it was about 7 weeks ago and it was fine (that was a month or so after I had the recall done). Then used it many times for about the next two or three weeks after well I was hunting and had to drive thru some swampy roads and very lightly flooded trails.

I really feel sorry for those that have had issues.

Blue

#808 ·
I'd also like to know if the the DiabloSport Intune will clear the Service 4wd code. Anybody use one? I'm considering picking up an Intune, but I don't want to get stuck in 4low.

Thanks

#377 ·
I got an email from the SM at the dealership that is working on my Jeep. He said that Jeep engineering wants him to look at some wiring and connectors. He said he will do that, but is also ordering a final drive control module. He said they are national back order, so that tells him that there is a problem with them. He is going to contact me when the module arrives.

The dealership has been great to work with. I know that eventually, we will get to the bottom of the issue.

#378 ·
Its not a hardware or wire issue... its a software issue with the update/recall...

I have doubts we will get to the bottom of the issue without a revised software update.

Actuators on back order....and people have had them replaced for it to happen again. Its a waste of time.

You think your wiring, my wiring, and 1000s of others all just went bad. Seems likely...........

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#379 ·
I bought a scanner to clear the codes and I think that will be the only real solution...have 1 on hand at all times when using 4x4.

If something was actually wrong why can I clear the codes and be all good for a few weeks?

Something in the program makes it very sensitive....too sensitive and it locks it out completely so it doesn't roll out of your drive way.....

F jeep...should have went with a rover. And that's saying something...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#381 ·
I visited the dealer the other day that did the recall in August to try to get them to “admit” the real problem. (ha) They were told by the home office to run diagnostics. The results were that there was no problem with the recall software update (big surprise!) The dealer then asked if I wanted them to continue to look for a problem. I said yes (like I had an option). A few minutes later the service manager told me that they found a broken connector on the actuator, that the wire was hanging loose) and that was the problem. (How can that result in an intermittent failure?)

I guess it’s possible that after three different service departments mess with it that a connector might get broken…. One told me that they disconnected it then reconnected it and it worked. Another told me there was a short in the actuator. Now this dealer told me about the broken connector and the only fix is to replace it with a backordered part and that I would have to pay for it up front. Do I have an option? No! I tow my Jeep behind my motorhome and I have to drive the Jeep 800 miles to pick up the motorhome in a few weeks.

I don’t think I can do much more until the actuator get in (fingers crossed). With the finding of the broken connector I think Jeep will not do anything for me. I hope that the new actuator is not subject to the same software glitch!!!!!!

#385 ·
Hey folks, Looks like im not the only one with this headache. I got my N23 flash done and then it was a week later when I got home from a trip to drive and try it... no dice. I made appointment and the guy reset the trouble code 3 times like the procedure says...worked for me 2 times. 3rd attempt SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM. I go back to dealer and at this point just in the facebook group im in we've had 4 people have issues. I tell them this and also tell them that im not paying a cent to have this fixed as it was working perfectly before the recall flash. I also called up Jeep to make a case ( everyone needs to do this or NOTHING will be done: call 1-877-426-5337 and make a case. They will ask for your vin # so have that ready. ) Lady was concerned and listened to my rant...talked to the dealer service manager then let me know that they weren't going to charge me for the inspection and such today. Well after 2.5 hours, the tech comes to me and lets me know whats up. I was told that both the actuator and FDCM need to be replaced to maybe fix it...maybe. 600$ in JUST parts which are both in national backorder all of a sudden...and that i have to pay this and WAIT for the parts to show up sometime. I called back the JEEP customer service and updated them on this and basically told them its BS and im not going to pay for something that they broke with the recall and they need to get a case open up to look into the large amount of broken 4LO after recall...they said it doesn't matter if I found other people that have had the EXACT same situation...that you have to make a case...lady even had the balls to tell me that maybe it was a coincidence that this happened. I pretty much lost it at that point and she was pressing to call the dealer to talk to them about it, since the dealer has to determine that the recall was the problem (after parts are exhausted of course). I told her that I will NOT pay $600+ to MAYBE fix the problem that they broke. Then they went on script saying they needed to call the dealer and to put me on hold. That point I hung up and had enough. Looking to just sell the damn thing and getting a car.

#386 ·
UPDATE:

I bought a Superchips and cleared the DTC's three times. I was able to switch into 4-LO (for the first time since n23) and back into 4-Hi without a problem. Only did it once as I got home from work at 4am.

In the past few weeks, I made a claim with Chrysler and they came to an agreement with the dealership that they would only charge me $100 for parts and labor on a new actuator. This was also after I was charged $126 for diagnostics after I told them I couldn't switch into 4-lo after the recall was performed.

I got a service appt for 12/2/13 to get the new actuator installed. Until then, I will test my 4-lo daily to see if a new actuator is actually needed.

#387 ·
I guess I was one of the few lucky people. I got the recall and the next day this thread was started and sure enough, mi 4-low didn't work.

Luckily for me, the dealership took it back in and took full responsibility and told me they didn't follow the directions to a T. They didn't charge me a penny.

It's been 2 months and it's still working.

#388 ·
I guess I was one of the few lucky people. I got the recall and the next day this thread was started and sure enough, mi 4-low didn't work.

Luckily for me, the dealership took it back in and took full responsibility and told me they didn't follow the directions to a T. They didn't charge me a penny.

It's been 2 months and it's still working.
My dealer has been easy to work with as well. I hope that continues. I also have the lifetime power-train warranty from the factory. My dealer offered me $22,000 for the Jeep on Friday for a buy back. I'm not sure if they had a reason behind this or not. That's not a bad offer for a 4 year old jeep with 40K miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.