Mystery Problem with Warning Lights/Tachometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Mystery Problem with Warning Lights/Tachometer

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
ndmbbl3
2005 WK 

Mystery Problem with Warning Lights/Tachometer

This is how my dash looked a few days ago, after starting the car and leaving the key in the ON position several times. It also would randomly turn the headlights on and off no matter what setting they were on, and the power seemed to fluctuate as well (because the radio would flutter on and off), and a non-responsive tachometer. Then I went back to class before dealing with it any further, and when I came out it only had a check engine light on. I took it down to autozone to have the code read where the tech told me that they couldn't pull anything and sent me to a shop down the street. Unfortunately they had closed already for the day but the check engine light went away on the drive and all seemed good so I brought her home.

It drove around fine with absolutely no problems, sounded fine, all the electrical worked. Two nights later, I went out to check on things and it all seemed fine still. The next morning I came out and went to start it and it was 110% dead. No starter sound, no lights anywhere, couldnt even open a window or move the seats. She sat like that for a day because I was preoccupied with other work, and today I had a friend jump it. Took about 10-15 minutes for it to get enough of a charge to start. I left it running idle for a half an hour or so to try to bring the battery back up to some juice before leaving it overnight again.

But while it was idling, I noticed a few issues. The minor ones being that the compass was not reading the correct direction (and seemed to change randomly whenever the car was turned off/on), and the temperature reading 77 degrees while I'm in upstate NY with 28 degree weather currently... And then the major flaw being the tach bouncing between 0 and 1000rpm, without the engine changing speed at all (she was humming just fine at normal idle speed), and no tach reaction to touching the gas pedal (although the car would rev up as per usual). Also while just idling, the airbag light would periodically turn on/off, accompanied by a ding, or sometimes the ding but no warning lights, or sometimes all the warning lights, and sometimes the EVIC would say "check gauges, check transmission, check 4wd sys, etc.." basically every warning that it could.

Video of Tach Bouncing

Any help with even a remote idea of how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
gamma500
2005 WK 

I would hope a new battery fixes everything assuming your present battery is fairly old, 5 years or more. Check positive terminal at battery with multimeter to confirm your alternator is supplying 13.7-14.2 volts at idle.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
ndmbbl3
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma500 View Post
I would hope a new battery fixes everything assuming your present battery is fairly old, 5 years or more. Check positive terminal at battery with multimeter to confirm your alternator is supplying 13.7-14.2 volts at idle.
Just put in a new battery and all the same errors are still flashing, tach is bouncing, lights flick on and off. I tested the battery with a voltmeter and it read out at 14.3V while running idle and 12.4V just sitting, so I know the alternator's fine. I just unhooked the battery for the night so as not to accidentally drain it. And I guess I'll have to call the dealer tomorrow.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
gamma500
2005 WK 

Jeez...the only other common thing that comes to mind is the ignition switch..the plug in unit behind the lock cylinder. Search and you'll see tons about it and how to replace..pretty cheap too. It's failure will cause the instrument panel/warning lights to go bonkers as you see on the other posts. Only other thing that comes to mind in my experience.
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

I would second the ignition switch
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
phottomatt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Any update on this? I am having a similar issue. Once in a while the warning lights and chimes just start going nuts, flashing and chiming all at once and if the headlights are in auto mode they either flash or just shut off, lasts for a few minutes then doesn't do it again for like a week. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with the sunroof leaking. It's an '07 WK Limited with HEMI.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.