MyGig Navigation install in 2005 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > MyGig Navigation install in 2005 Grand Cherokee

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
bmcginnis
2005 WK 

MyGig Navigation install in 2005 Grand Cherokee

I am wanting to install a MyGig navigation system into my GC. I have the Limited which came from the factory with the UConnect hands free already installed running through the rear view mirror.

I have been looking around and found a RER or RHR model that some guys have installed into their rides.

Does anyone have any input as to what I should do? I don't want to put an aftermarket unit from like Best Buy in my Jeep, I want it to be a Jeep factory product.

bmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
sickchilly
2010 WK 

Contact these people, they won't steer you wrong:
http://www.oemautopartsco.com
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Check out my Mygig install thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...alled-1393534/

I actually just replaced the RER with an RHR recently but the install is the same, hope this helps!
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
bmcginnis
2005 WK 

Billy

Did your Jeep already have a navigation screen system though?
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Yes the REC model. But I don't think that makes a difference.
Unread 06-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I put the RHR in my Dad's 06 Limited that had the REC. The MyGig is amazing! I will add this, while extremely rare, the RHR can have issues when installed in an 05-07 WK with the LockPick Adapter kit. CoastalETech does not officially support the RHR model MyGig. The highest model they currently support is the RER. I welcome those who beg to differ to give them a call to verify. OEMAutopartsCo will say it works fine but they do not make the product, CoastalETech does. And it will work fine, sometimes. I am having issues with my install and have been in contact with Carlos, there tech advisor for Chrysler products and we have been working with their R&D department and they say my symptoms are similar to the ones RER users were having before they added the software support for that radio. They are working on a software patch that should be out in the next month or so and that will add the RHR to their list of supported devices. This software patch will clear up any issues that users, like me, were previously having with this radio installed using their adapter kit.

The RHR is worth the money and the wait for the bluetooth streaming!
Ben824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
bmcginnis
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben824
I put the RHR in my Dad's 06 Limited that had the REC. The MyGig is amazing! I will add this, while extremely rare, the RHR can have issues when installed in an 05-07 WK with the LockPick Adapter kit. CoastalETech does not officially support the RHR model MyGig. The highest model they currently support is the RER. I welcome those who beg to differ to give them a call to verify. OEMAutopartsCo will say it works fine but they do not make the product, CoastalETech does. And it will work fine, sometimes. I am having issues with my install and have been in contact with Carlos, there tech advisor for Chrysler products and we have been working with their R&D department and they say my symptoms are similar to the ones RER users were having before they added the software support for that radio. They are working on a software patch that should be out in the next month or so and that will add the RHR to their list of supported devices. This software patch will clear up any issues that users, like me, were previously having with this radio installed using their adapter kit.

The RHR is worth the money and the wait for the bluetooth streaming!
The model I have been looking at is the RHR, but my concern is that I have only the factory AM/FM/6-Disc in my Jeep, so will I run not more issues since my UConnect is run through my mirror, etc?
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Dude actually read my install thread, you just need to get a new Mopar Uconnect mic (it will work) as your mirror with Uconnect functionality will not work and definitely get the RHR! I've had ZERO, I repeat ZERO issues with my RHR/Lockpick combo in my 2005 WK Hemi. Everything works flawlessly! Bluetooth audio streaming, Uconnect, backup cameras, etc. Just do it and ignore any other negative input. If you have any issues associated with the install, feel free to PM me or even call me if you need to. No worries just do it!
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcginnis View Post
The model I have been looking at is the RHR, but my concern is that I have only the factory AM/FM/6-Disc in my Jeep, so will I run not more issues since my UConnect is run through my mirror, etc?
There is a small chance you might face the same problems I am having but it is rare and should be fixed with the new software update. Your current Uconnect system is run by a separate module in the Jeep from the Radio that handles all of that system. The RHR has a Uconnect module built into the radio so your old module will no longer be used. You will not need to do anything to disable it, it will just not be used in the new wiring harness. Your current Uconnect mirror however will not work with the MyGig so you will need to either purchase the new MyGig Uconnect compatible mirror (which is expensive) or you can purchase an inexpensive compatible microphone from a supplier like OEMAutopartsCo.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
bmcginnis
2005 WK 

Anyone know where I could get the LockPick adapter for less than $285?
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcginnis View Post
That is the going rate. You may luck out and find someone here selling a used one or try ebay or amazon and you might get lucky there too.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcginnis
Again read my thread. Solidsignal.com for $199. Make sure you get the adapter version not the regular v.5 Lockpick. Better yet here's a link:

http://www.solidsignal.com/m/product...tion-lockpicks
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
bmcginnis
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybcpt

Again read my thread. Solidsignal.com for $199. Make sure you get the adapter version not the regular v.5 Lockpick. Better yet here's a link:

http://www.solidsignal.com/m/product...tion-lockpicks
Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.