My remote (to unlock the doors) does not work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My remote (to unlock the doors) does not work

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
cliff

My remote (to unlock the doors) does not work

My remote (to unlock the doors) does not work on my regular set of keys. I think the battery is dead. Not real sure. My second set of keys works great.

Anyone ever replace the battery on a remote?

Before I tear into it and break something, I thought I some of you may have some words of wisdom and experience. Also where did you get your battery? And how much was it?

Thanks
Cliff

cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
T-Rated

Here's what wkjeeps.com says:

Transmitter Battery Service

The recommended replacement battery is one CR2032 battery

NOTE: Do not touch the battery terminals that are on the back housing or the printed circuit board.

1. With the transmitter buttons facing down, use a small screwdriver or similar flat object to pry the two halves of the transmitter apart. Make sure not to damage the rubber gasket during removal.

Separating Transmitter Halves

2. Remove and replace the battery. Avoid touching the new battery with your fingers. Skin oils may cause battery deterioration. If you touch a battery, clean it with rubbing alcohol.

3. To reassemble the transmitter case, snap the two halves together. Make sure there is an even "gap" between the two halves. Test transmitter operation.

---
My comments: The CR2032 battery is widely available. I get my batteries from OSH. WKJeeps also states that the battery is supposed to last a minimum of 3 years.
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #3
cliff

Thanks for your help. My WK is an 05 so it is probably about time.

Hate to sound totally dumb, but where is OSH?

Thanks

Cliff
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
T-Rated

OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) is a Home Depot-ish chain owned by Sears.
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
drewman141
Gas Guzzler

1994 ZJ 

It is probably much easier to get them at Radio Shack. Also Eckerd, Wallgreens or CVS will probably have them on that battery carousel thing.

MUST GO! 1994 Limited ZJ 5.2L V8 - Light Driftwood Satin Glow
It's a 94 5.2L Limited - trxus 33's on 15x7 steelies, 4.56s w/ front OX and rear trutrac, NP242 swap, novak shift kit, Kevin's ultimate 4.5" lift + ACOS, ARB front bumper w/warn M8000, rear tomkin machine bumper w/ tire carrier, kevin's hardore railz, kevin's ultimate tc skid, kevin's trackbar conversion, rusty's gas skid, flexalite efan, Kolak's performance ignition and brake upgrades. ViAir OBA, custom storage/sub box and I'm sure there's a bunch of other things I'm missing. Everything is a little over 3 years old with less than 10K miles. Looking to get around $4k.

drewman141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

cliff,

the battery shouldn't go back just because it's an 05. They should last for a very long time.

My 94 fob worked for 6 or so years before I needed a replacement and I doubt that the fob tech has gotten worse. So, change out that battery and let us know how it works.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Jeepconvert

Just as a side note if another Chrysler brand remote is being pressed, your vehicle will not respond to yours. You can try this as a prank to somebody at the office if you want. Just repeatedly press your button when you know they want to press theirs. But also keep in mind to make sure your doors lock as the same thing would happen then.
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
n3itn

Hi Cliff,

Is your remote key fob something new or could it have been that way forever?

Two weeks ago I bought an 06 Commander. After a day or two I discovered the second remote key fob wouldn't remotely lock/unlock the doors. The key would, however, start the engine. I called the dealer and explained what I had found and asked if the programming detailed in the manual would resolve my issue. The tech said to give it a try and if it didn't work just stop by and that it would only take a few minutes. Well after trying several times I was only able to get the second key to make one lock/unlock cycle... I went to the dealer and after two hours (and cutting a new key) they we not able to make it (or the new key (which they kept)) work. Since I was out of time I had to leave. This week I went to another dealer and explained, in great detail, the trouble but received the same "we'll get you fixed up in a few minutes" attitude. After another two hours and cutting another key they too were not able to make the second key work much less get the one they cut to work or even start the engine. Meanwhile I also discovered the headlights won't come on with the wipers as they should which makes me think there is something else going on here. I've been all over the internet and the service releases but can't seem to find what I'm looking for regarding these issues aside from this posting... that said, perhaps some of you folks can assist with some insight or direction. Thanks, Tom
n3itn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
Chef64

I had the same problem with my remote and I found one of the solder contacts inside had broke free and wasn't making contact anymore.
Chef64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
jeff_grant

I'm having intermittent issues with one of my fobs right now as well. I've changed the battery, and it still has a "hit or miss" success rate.

I'll be ripping it open tomorrow and checking for loose connections, etc., as well as spraying it with some contact cleaner.

I've had this fob for 1.5 years, and it hasn't had any problems until about 2 weeks ago.
jeff_grant is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.