My new Jeep, what's next? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My new Jeep, what's next?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockJK 3" Lift Kit w/ 4 FlexArms! GREAT DEALS here at RocTeraFlex TJ 4" Lift Kit!! WANT A DEAL?!

Unread 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Adman1780
2006 WK 

My new Jeep, what's next?

Hello everyone! Long time visitor, first time post...

I used to own a '98 4.0 ZJ for years and loved it. Last week on kind of a whim, I traded my beloved '99 BMW 528i for a beautiful, completely stock black 2006 JEEP WK OVERLAND w/ 80k miles. Everyone here seems knowledgeable so I won't bother you with the specs. IMO the WK is by far the best-looking body style and I needed a V8 and 4-wheel drive (and secretly wanted the Hemi), so I'm happy.

So then I did the obvious: gave her (I assume all Jeeps are ladies) a nice bath, Synthetic Oil change and coolant flush and change. Got a mechanic friend to do a thorough check and all is well. I woke up today and ordered the K&N Cold Air Intake, some E3 spark plugs and coil wire set, and a DynoMax Ultra Flo cat-back system. Should be a good start.

Soon I'm gonna give her a little lift and some more aggressive shoes. I've been eyeballing the Rough Country 2" kit and 1.5" wheel spacers and various ~31" tires. I know I got spoiled with the 5-series comfort, but the Jeep seems a too bouncy. I was thinking about upgrading the shocks/struts to some Bilstein 5100s when I do the lift.

Sooo, what should I do next?!? Other than the fore mentioned and maybe nicer headlights, I don't know where else to start. I've read some things about the catch can, upgraded steering stabilizer, performance programers, etc... I'm planning on dumping some cash on her this spring and want to make it a great all-around ride, but don't need to go overboard.

Any helpful advice or tips on parts, brands, and websites would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy your forums and look forward to your responses.

-Adam

Adman1780 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
AFguy247
2005 WK 

Welcome to the forums! As for the Hemi, you should definitely add a catch can. Heard nothing but good from catch cans, and you can make one yourself for pretty cheap. Also, if you are planning on lifting it and getting bigger tires you might as well get a Superchips tuner. It will adjust your Speedo to your size tires, but also has many different tuner settings for performance or gas mileage, or even tranny shift settings.
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

catch can for the hemi, get yourself a tuner whether it be the diablo or the superchips(seems to be the heavy favorite), if you intend on doing any offroad I would suggest either ditching the intake(low end torques gone with them) or getting a wrap for the filter- maybe look into a throttle body and a high flow drop-in and call it a day. also no need to look into a steering stabilizer, its IFS so no need for a stabilizer with a rack.

contact kolak on here for most parts, or chris over at crawl-offroad- both have great pricing.
Unread 04-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
corswandtm
2007 WK 

Ditch the E3 plugs immediately. Hemi takes OEM Champion 570 copper plugs ONLY. Many stalling problems have come and gone and all lead back to those damn plugs. Annoying to buy them from the dealer but it's a necessary evil. Search "overland stall" if you have some time to kill.
Unread 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corswandtm View Post
Ditch the E3 plugs immediately. Hemi takes OEM Champion 570 copper plugs ONLY. Many stalling problems have come and gone and all lead back to those damn plugs. Annoying to buy them from the dealer but it's a necessary evil. Search "overland stall" if you have some time to kill.
Glad someone mentioned this.

Too many problems with Hemi's and aftermarket plugs.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corswandtm View Post
+1 Champion 570s only.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman1780 View Post
Hello everyone! Long time visitor, first time post...

I used to own a '98 4.0 ZJ for years and loved it. Last week on kind of a whim, I traded my beloved '99 BMW 528i for a beautiful, completely stock black 2006 JEEP WK OVERLAND w/ 80k miles. Everyone here seems knowledgeable so I won't bother you with the specs. IMO the WK is by far the best-looking body style and I needed a V8 and 4-wheel drive (and secretly wanted the Hemi), so I'm happy.

So then I did the obvious: gave her (I assume all Jeeps are ladies) a nice bath, Synthetic Oil change and coolant flush and change. Got a mechanic friend to do a thorough check and all is well. I woke up today and ordered the K&N Cold Air Intake, some E3 spark plugs and coil wire set, and a DynoMax Ultra Flo cat-back system. Should be a good start.

Soon I'm gonna give her a little lift and some more aggressive shoes. I've been eyeballing the Rough Country 2" kit and 1.5" wheel spacers and various ~31" tires. I know I got spoiled with the 5-series comfort, but the Jeep seems a too bouncy. I was thinking about upgrading the shocks/struts to some Bilstein 5100s when I do the lift.

Sooo, what should I do next?!? Other than the fore mentioned and maybe nicer headlights, I don't know where else to start. I've read some things about the catch can, upgraded steering stabilizer, performance programers, etc... I'm planning on dumping some cash on her this spring and want to make it a great all-around ride, but don't need to go overboard.

Any helpful advice or tips on parts, brands, and websites would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy your forums and look forward to your responses.

-Adam
Ditch the K&N and get a tuner instead. If you really want get an aFe dryflow drop in filter or Airaid Jr kit with dry filter. Not much positive to the Oiled K&N filters.

Plug wires are a good idea to replace @ this point.

Superchips tuner is a nice choice because you can get the Trans tuner app, to improve transmission performance.

With the Rough country lift, you should not plan to get bilstein 5100 struts (front) unless you like the nose high look. 5100 struts @ minimum lift .75" in the front in addition to your RC lift, which by itself is a leveling kit (it lifts the front more than the rear) Bilstein 4600 in the front and 5100 in the rear works nicely with the Rough country lift.

Old Man Emu spring lift is another option for ~$350 instead of the ~$180 Rough Country lift and will improve handling characteristics on and off road.

I have MOOG end links and poly sway bar bushings and bilstein shocks and I am quite happy with my ride personally.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
DB05wkNY
Go Pack!

2005 WK 

I have Bilstein 4600 struts 5100 rear shocks and rough country 2" lift, love it. Ride is tight and firm, but not rough. I went with 1.25" spacers and 265/70s and love the way it looks. They measure 31.70". I also have Superchips Flashpaq 3875, adjusted speedo and odo for tire size, and run performance 91 octane tune with premium gas and noticed a HUGE difference from stock. I have stock intake and exhaust, with 4.7 not the HEMI. You'll be pleased whichever route you go.
SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #136
DB05wkNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Bangarng

Don't forget to smoke your tail lights
Bangarng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.