JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   My new intake (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/my-new-intake-260814/)

Brian87gt 04-11-2006 07:07 PM

My new intake
 
I didn't care for the looks of some of the aftermarket intakes out there. I had a friend fab me up one. I have the 4.7 and on my commute to work (28 miles one way) I saw my mileage increase from 6.4 to 19.3 at one point. It's my wifes car, so I let her pick the colr of the powdercoating.http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...472_1_full.jpg

JeepFreak91 04-11-2006 08:10 PM

if you were only getting 6 mpg somethings not right

Brian87gt 04-11-2006 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
if you were only getting 6 mpg somethings not right

Hah, I meant 16.4, sorry

JeepFreak91 04-12-2006 03:18 PM

that makes more sense

dflip99 04-13-2006 09:34 PM

Awesome...
 
....what's your friend's name and phone number? ;)

DFLIP99

nhpso224 04-14-2006 10:02 PM

How much do you have tied up in it?

Brian87gt 04-14-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhpso224
How much do you have tied up in it?

He told me he's gonna charge $225 plus shipping, and that includes the powdercoating. that is a good deal cheaper than the k &n version I have seen. www.jmbperformance.com

BlueJ 04-19-2006 06:10 PM

That is a nice unit he made there!!! $225 seems a bit much though. A filter alone can only be around $50. That is $175 for a tube and powder coating. Not trying to flame, just sayin.

Brian87gt 04-20-2006 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJ
That is a nice unit he made there!!! $225 seems a bit much though. A filter alone can only be around $50. That is $175 for a tube and powder coating. Not trying to flame, just sayin.

Well, i've "heard " heard the K & N version is around $275, that isn't powdercoated. And he has some labor time tied up in fabricating it, it's not like he's buying these intake pipes pre fabbed.

jeep_on 04-26-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian87gt
Well, i've "heard " heard the K & N version is around $275, that isn't powdercoated. And he has some labor time tied up in fabricating it, it's not like he's buying these intake pipes pre fabbed.

Ya, its true, the K&N version is around $275. I just sold one today for a retail price of $285... I'd still pay to have the K&N over yours how ever. Since the K&N's tube is plastic it dose not absorb heat like the plastic dose, resulting in colder air reaching the engine, and thats kinda the whole idea isnít it?

kchecca 04-27-2006 08:37 AM

Looks like the K&N kit is going to have a metal tube as well. Also, the price is floating in the $280 range. I understand the theoretical implications of a metal versus plastic tube, but I wonder if it really makes a difference in the real world on the temp of the air once it gets to the manifold.

Your guy doesnt have it on his sit yet, but any idea on the color options for us neurotic folks?

-Keith

Chipster009 04-27-2006 12:17 PM

Is there a HEMI intake kit out there for the Commander?? or are any of the other kits cross-applicable (HEMI Dodge 5.7L .. etc.)

EDIT:

Hmm... looks like there a few out there already.. here's one:

http://www.betterairflow.com/store/catalog/3657.jpg

Under $200.

SYCOHEMI 05-01-2006 01:20 PM

I've heard that the plastic allows more control over the manufacturing process, and the bends and thicknesses of the intake tube. As a result, they have seen differences in dyno tested results between metal and plastic.

I believe K&N posts dyno results on their website. I have seen plastic outperform metal by up to 2 hp for the intake on dyno results.

I do like the look of metal though. Not sure what I will go with. Probably plastic, given the potential for higher HP.

Brian87gt 05-15-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchecca
Looks like the K&N kit is going to have a metal tube as well. Also, the price is floating in the $280 range. I understand the theoretical implications of a metal versus plastic tube, but I wonder if it really makes a difference in the real world on the temp of the air once it gets to the manifold.

Your guy doesnt have it on his sit yet, but any idea on the color options for us neurotic folks?

-Keith

He told me he's going to put themon his site once he gets more orders. If you want to see the available colors just go through the order process for an intake , then click on the color option. Then you can see the color chart.


The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.