My First Jeep - What do you think?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My First Jeep - What do you think??

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
bmb063
2005 WK 

Jeep WK Progress Thread By: BMB063

Hi all, after plenty of lurking and asking questions on the forum, I finally landed my first jeep!

It's a 2005 Limited pretty much fully loaded. It's in great condition and I think I got a great deal!

Only two things wrong I can tell: The rear glass will only open with the remote and not the button. I assume that's an easy fix. A bigger issue is that it wont go into 4wd low. It says service 4wd system. Not sure exactly what to do - I've read it could be a fuse or recall. Any insight there? Also, I haven't decided what route I want to go, but I definitely want to try a little light off-roading.

Anyways...here are some pictures. Let me know what you think or what I should look out for, thanks!!!

bmb063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Jeep Brian

QDII! Very well done! The jeep looks to be in pretty good shape! Congrats! Where did you buy it? Dealer of private? If the dealer, have them fix the TC. There wax a recall the Jeep did that disabled 4low and it seems yours got "fixed"

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Beautiful!!

I purchased my '06 about 3 weeks ago, the runner up was one in your exact color. I ended up going with Silver, but only because it was a better deal and had lower mileage. Anyway, congrats on the Jeep. I purchased mine with the same "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" message that flashed when I attempted to shift in to 4Lo. Take it to the dealer, there's a flash they do on your ECU that clears the code and fixes the issue. They shouldn't charge you for it.
nathanjaybar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
Friendly_Cactus
2008 WK 

I Had the same problem with my 2008 not going into 4lo.
All you have to do to fix it yourself is:
Pull either fuse #33 or #25 (for me its #33)
Start the jeep and back it out of your driveway and then back in (just need to drive a few feet)
Turn the jeep off and put the fuse back in
Start and try to put into 4lo, if it didn't fix it try pulling the other fuse and repeating
I did this to my 2008 about 6 months ago and haven't gotten the "SERVICE 4WD SYSTEM" message since.
Unread 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
bmb063
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Brian View Post
QDII! Very well done! The jeep looks to be in pretty good shape! Congrats! Where did you buy it? Dealer of private? If the dealer, have them fix the TC. There wax a recall the Jeep did that disabled 4low and it seems yours got "fixed"
Thanks for the replies everyone! I got it from a private seller. That saved me in dealer fees and also having the price jacked up. I will try to get to the dealer in the next couple weeks for the 4wdlow system. If that doesn't work I'll try the fuse suggestion as my second choice.

Does anyone have a suggestion for why the rear glass won't open with the button but only the key? I assume I can just buy a new button on the back hatch? Thanks!
Unread 08-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
nathanjaybar
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb063 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for why the rear glass won't open with the button but only the key? I assume I can just buy a new button on the back hatch? Thanks!
Not sure why it won't open, however the new part number for the latch should be: 55396445AA

Looks like it should be easy to come by.
nathanjaybar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
bmb063
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjaybar View Post
Not sure why it won't open, however the new part number for the latch should be: 55396445AA

Looks like it should be easy to come by.
Great, thanks! I realized I should probably swap out the glass struts as well as the rear tailgate struts. Seems like those go quicker than anything else.
Unread 08-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
bmb063
2005 WK 

Just wanted to ask what big service should have been done by now since it just hit 134k miles. I am worried about the diff fluids and stuff like that. Also, I know it needs an alignment and balance. I will have a friend look at it soon and want to know what to look for. Thanks!
Unread 01-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
bmb063
2005 WK 

Thread Update!

Ok I'm going to jack my own thread here and turn it into one for updates since I started off strong with my first pictures.

I want to show progression and my thoughts as time passes. Also, Q&A will probably come up as well. Hope you enjoy, here are some updates to get back on track from when I got it in September.

This may not count as a mod, but I had to get the custom plate. I've never had one and actually liked my idea for once and thought it was worth it. It also tells the story behind the whole reason I got this vehicle - for snow! Except we've had about 2 inches so far this year, oh well.

The jeep comes off positive to almost everyone so I figured it was a safe bet!

Unread 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
bmb063
2005 WK 

Something I knew I had to to before winter came was the rear lift gate and glass supports. The lift gate would be way to easy to pull down and on cooler days it would say up, but I knew it wouldn't be much longer before they needed replacing. The glass wouldn't pop all the way open when I pushed the button so I did those as well. Here are some pictures and a how-to video I made. Maybe it will help some people. Not sure why I decided to take ALL my pictures in portrait mode this time.

Also, here is some off roading fun I had with the Southern Ohio Jeepers Association:

Unread 01-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
Crixus
2005 WK 

There's a thread in which you can post pics of your wk, it's a stocker, nothing special. You really don't need a thread for this.
Unread 01-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #12
JakeWK
Reap the Jeep

2005 WK 

I think what he means is that you can turn this into your build thread, updated on the builds list, or post the pictures on the WK picture thread. And maybe your stocker can be better than his^ stocker

HID Kit for sale

JakeWK Build
JakeWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
bmb063
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWK View Post
I think what he means is that you can turn this into your build thread, updated on the builds list, or post the pictures on the WK picture thread. And maybe your stocker can be better than his^ stocker
Yes, it's essentially my build thread I tweaked from my first post. Made the most sense to me. I plan to post some pictures to existing threads when it makes sense, but I wanted a progression of MY jeep on a single thread. Also, I don't mind having a stocker - after all it is my "beater" so I don't want to go too overboard. A pic of my roof basket will be coming soon!

Thanks for the replies guys. There will be more exciting things to come. Especially when it gets warmer outside I'll be more willing to take on projects.
Unread 01-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
Bchain5
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb063 View Post
Something I knew I had to to before winter came was the rear lift gate and glass supports. The lift gate would be way to easy to pull down and on cooler days it would say up, but I knew it wouldn't be much longer before they needed replacing. The glass wouldn't pop all the way open when I pushed the button so I did those as well. Here are some pictures and a how-to video I made. Maybe it will help some people. Not sure why I decided to take ALL my pictures in portrait mode this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jzBwjd78vM

Also, here is some off roading fun I had with the Southern Ohio Jeepers Association:

I'm going to pm you! You have to come wheeling with us! I am also in Columbus!
#164 of the Silver WK Club
My build http://goo.gl/sr5m5f
Bchain5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #15
optdoug
2006 WK 

It looks great! And who cares if the rear glass doesn't open anyway. I have only had mine for a month, but I have never used the rear glass hatch.
Here is a list of recalls for your WK, but I don't think it will fix the 4wd lo problem.
http://www.dealerrater.com/recalls/J...Cherokee/#2005
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , loaded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.