My CRD elephant hose mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My CRD elephant hose mod

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

My CRD elephant hose mod

I decided to do the elephant hose mod today, but I did it a little different than most of you have. I didn't want to just vent the fumes to the air, but wanted to have the advantage of no more oil going into the turbo.
What I did was get that pre-bent hose from NAPA that was on one of the threads here, and I hooked that directly to the little heater piece. The hose then went to a hole I drilled into the side of the air box, under where the air filter is. So now, any oil will drain to the bottom of the air box, and the fumes will go through the air filter and into the engine.

I plugged the intake tube hole with a Shibby Engineering aluminum plug, then added some electrical tape around it to help make sure it stays.

caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
TangoTango
2008 WK 

FYI ...

It is good to try new things ....

"but " ... All the oil fumes will clog up your air filter real fast, and then starve the engine from air.

You will need a catch-can with a breather filter in line to run a setup like that. The air filter box is not a very good catch-can.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
TangoTango
2008 WK 

plus .. heater hose will decompose from the oil.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Interesting set up. It would not be my first choice. I would keep a very close eye on the build up of gunk in your intake box. If you service it regular, you may get away with it.

When the EHM vents to atmosphere, there is less oil exiting the system because there is no suction on it from the turbo. I never get a drip in my drive way... not even one.... and it has been well over a year.

I do get some noticeable fumes sometimes...but conditions have to be right.
I know there are fumes there all the time...but not usually enough to notice.

Keep an eye on the heater hose... it may break down as everyone says..but it will take a long time. I paid an arm and a leg to buy 1" silicone hose....good forever. But I could have bought three or four heater hoses for the same money.

The key is to never let it get blocked!
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
When the EHM vents to atmosphere, there is less oil exiting the system because there is no suction on it from the turbo. I never get a drip in my drive way... not even one.... and it has been well over a year.
I figure that the large volume of the air box would create very little suction, compared to the hose end being right in front of the turbo. The air box does have a drain and there is a large capacity at the bottom, so by what everyone has said with how little oil actually comes out of the hose, I'd think it'd take a long time to notice much in the bottom of the air box.

Quote:
Keep an eye on the heater hose... it may break down as everyone says..but it will take a long time. I paid an arm and a leg to buy 1" silicone hose....good forever. But I could have bought three or four heater hoses for the same money.
Even if it takes years to break down the hose, the worst that would happen is it would split and vent the fumes under the hood. I'll keep an eye on it.
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
I figure that the large volume of the air box would create very little suction, compared to the hose end being right in front of the turbo. The air box does have a drain and there is a large capacity at the bottom, so by what everyone has said with how little oil actually comes out of the hose, I'd think it'd take a long time to notice much in the bottom of the air box.
Nope, you will see a lot, and quickly. I did that mod and was having to pull the airbox to wash it out quite regularly. I ended up not using it.
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

Is the elephant mod even necessary if you have the updated black seal intake pipe? If so why?

N23 Recall Victim
IIMacGyverII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
I decided to do the elephant hose mod today, but I did it a little different than most of you have. I didn't want to just vent the fumes to the air, but wanted to have the advantage of no more oil going into the turbo.
What I did was get that pre-bent hose from NAPA that was on one of the threads here, and I hooked that directly to the little heater piece. The hose then went to a hole I drilled into the side of the air box, under where the air filter is. So now, any oil will drain to the bottom of the air box, and the fumes will go through the air filter and into the engine.
I did the same setup but with a catch can in the hose before it goes to the air box because I was getting oil in the airbox and on the air filter. Not a big deal, just a bit of a mess that you have to clean up now and then.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/i.../#post13526923

I am very happy with my setup, no smell and no mess.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I did the same setup but with a catch can in the hose before it goes to the air box because I was getting oil in the airbox and on the air filter. Not a big deal, just a bit of a mess that you have to clean up now and then.

I am very happy with my setup, no smell and no mess.
I checked the air box today, and after 600 miles, there's nothing in the bottom of the air box. The filter has a 4 inch diameter stain on it though.
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMacGyverII View Post
Is the elephant mod even necessary if you have the updated black seal intake pipe? If so why?
Even with the new seal, it still puts oil into the air intake system, so the intercooler, intake manifold, etc. get oil in them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.