My breaks suck!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My breaks suck!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Really dunno what all the fuss is about with the stock brakes on these WKs. I never found an issue with either of the WKs brakes we've had. On the '06 I swapped out the rotors and pads at around 60K miles IIRC - oe style replacements - did great. On our '07 I swapped in new oe style pads when I bought it (~53K miles) and kept the stockers until this summer (~70K miles). I put Centric rotors and Akebono pads on this go around - far less coin than Stillens - never had an issue.

I've wheeled it moderately, heavily, Offroad Parks, very steep CO trails, hauled with it, pull my XJ on a 16' tandem axle with it - no problems, no squeaking, no squishing, never had an issue stopping when I needed to.

For me, it's all about the actual stopping power. I've never had any problems with any of the stock jeep brakes either….And my family has owned 4-5 Jeeps. But with my WK for example, I have noticed by the time we add a lift, bigger/heavier wheels and tires, armor it up to the fullest, add a roof rack full of gear for a weekend camping trip, or even hauling our 19-23 ft boats or trailers, it takes a bit more force/power to bring that sucker to a complete stop from higher speeds. I'm not saying the stock pads/rotors won't work fine on a daily basis, but the performance of the brakes can be improved quite a bit with the addition of better equipment. It's a piece of mind for me on any vehicle. I guess it just comes down to personal preference in the end.

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
For me, it's all about the actual stopping power. I've never had any problems with any of the stock jeep brakes either….And my family has owned 4-5 Jeeps. But with my WK for example, I have noticed by the time we add a lift, bigger/heavier wheels and tires, armor it up to the fullest, add a roof rack full of gear for a weekend camping trip, or even hauling our 19-23 ft boats or trailers, it takes a bit more force/power to bring that sucker to a complete stop from higher speeds. I'm not saying the stock pads/rotors won't work fine on a daily basis, but the performance of the brakes can be improved quite a bit with the addition of better equipment. It's a piece of mind for me on any vehicle. I guess it just comes down to personal preference in the end.
Of course it takes more force to stop a heavier object (i.e. the loaded rig you describe). But take into consideration that the 4.7, for example, is rated to tow a pretty heavy load. That is a rating based on the factory assets of the vehicle - to include the braking system.

Definitely agree with the "personal preference" and "peace of mind" comments. I just figure I'd point out that there are cheaper, more than adequate options out there than high dollar slotted/drilled yadayada stuff.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

You mentioned the brake fluid looks good, when was it last replaced? Looking at it does not tell you much.

A mushy pedal is caused by contaminated fluid, water in fluid, or expanding old rubber lines...its usually hydraulic related.

I am of the opinion that the stock brakes are pretty good at stock weight levels. My first set was replaced at 90k miles due to severe pad deposits (aka warping) due to heavy towing with a surge brake car trailer (uhaul).

If you want to upgrade, get a new set of blank rotors, a GOOD set of pads with a higher coefficient of friction level, some DOT 4 fluid, and avoid limo stops.
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
WKHemi57
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniebravo View Post
You mentioned the brake fluid looks good, when was it last replaced? Looking at it does not tell you much.

A mushy pedal is caused by contaminated fluid, water in fluid, or expanding old rubber lines...its usually hydraulic related.

I am of the opinion that the stock brakes are pretty good at stock weight levels. My first set was replaced at 90k miles due to severe pad deposits (aka warping) due to heavy towing with a surge brake car trailer (uhaul).

If you want to upgrade, get a new set of blank rotors, a GOOD set of pads with a higher coefficient of friction level, some DOT 4 fluid, and avoid limo stops.
I just got the car about 2 months ago.. I bought it with 130k miles on it. The service history on the car is well maintained. I bought it from the original owner who was an OCD clean freak. Weird but good for me getting her car. Receipt said it was done at the 100k maintenance along with the trans fluid and lots of other fluids :-)

Good brakes aren't that expensive. Comparatively of course. I'm used to race cars like my last one where I got baer 2 pice rotors and 4 piston calipers etc.. That setup was like 2000 bux. Looks like I can put slotted and drilled rotors and good pads along with braided lines all around for like $500. Easy decision.
WKHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Really dunno what all the fuss is about with the stock brakes on these WKs. I never found an issue with either of the WKs brakes we've had. On the '06 I swapped out the rotors and pads at around 60K miles IIRC - oe style replacements - did great. On our '07 I swapped in new oe style pads when I bought it (~53K miles) and kept the stockers until this summer (~70K miles). I put Centric rotors and Akebono pads on this go around - far less coin than Stillens - never had an issue.
that's why I made sure to throw "worn out stock setup" in my comment. my jeep had ~75k on it when I got it and the brakes had definitely been neglected by previous owner. I'm sure had I gone with OEM style replacements I would have noticed a very very similar increase in performance over the worn out stock stuff it was replacing.

I don't remember exactly, but pricewise, going the r1 slotted/drilled route wasn't much more $$$ if anything at all. r1 is a vendor on one of the other sites and I just msg'd them directly and got stuff for a great price.
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #21
rashan5

When I go onto the r1 rotors website only slotted/drilled rotors for sort display?
rashan5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
When I go onto the r1 rotors website only slotted/drilled rotors for sort display?
I put in vehicle info for my 2005 and this is what came up. They have quite a few to choose from: http://www.r1concepts.com/2005-Jeep-GrandCherokee.aspx
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Replaced the brakes on my 07 Overland back in the spring with NAPA Reactive One rotors and pads. Work great and zero issues so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.