Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My '05 WK build thread.

12K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  zgjeepwk08 
#1 ·
Well I figured I should get this started since I'm going to be ordering a **** LOAD of parts soon. Got the Jeep about 5 months ago, the WK is by FAR my favorite body style, thing looks sexy as hell. It's just too bad there's sooooooo many Jeeps driving around Toledo. Something about a jeep plant :laugh:. She's in the shop right now, apparently a bunch of gaskets need to be replaced and possibly the manifold... In addition to a water pump and some leakage from my transmission... Kinda wishing I would've looked a little harder before buying but that's what warranty's are for right? Anyways here's some pics stock with roof racks I got for christmas:

First mini mod was taking off the front airdam, I think the jeep looks alot better with out her little plastic skirt on.:thumbsup:

Got some cheapo Riken tires that came with the car when I bought it... Looking into getting some DuraTrac's, those treads are sexy looking.

Of course no skids so I'm going to have to buy a complete set, this plastic just isn't going to cut it:

I still can't believe this isn't a skid, didn't feel like plastic at all...

First modification was the radio. When I bought it the PO decided it would be a good idea to install the radio himself and completely screw everything up. When I turned the sub output up it messed with the 6x9's in the front. Got a Pioneer DEH-P8300UB as a present to myself for the new job, I'm pretty happy with it.

My buddy went with me when I got the stereo installed to price some W3's, he called me that night and told me he was going to buy them. I asked if I could buy his old W1's, got em for 50 bucks. So the next day a new ported box, 600 watt amp, wires and an install later I have some (like) new W1's (I consider it part of my present to myself :shhh:):

Just ordered a Superchips last night (buddy works at the zone and got me a sweet deal), will be using that IMMEDIATELY after I get my Jeep back from the shop.

Future mods:
Superchips (bought, waiting to be installed)
OME MD or HD lift (Opinions appreciated)
Full stock body armor (Will probably be buying that with my first paycheck)
4x front and belly guard
Wrangler DuraTrac's (not completely sold on them yet, but I love the look. Size suggestions with a OME lift for preferably no rubbing would be nice).

Couple of questions:
With the superchips or even just in general, is it worth getting a cold air intake over the stock box with a K&N filter?

Should I get the 4xguard rear guard if I have a trailer hitch?

See less See more
#2 ·
What is that faceplate you used for the radio to cover up the factory holes? I would like to know all of the stuff you used for your receiver, wiring harness, bezel (faceplate), etc.

#3 ·
If I was you, I would just go ahead and get the OME HD because of the fact that you are going to be adding armor. I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to get the MD and then later find out that it's not gonna cut it. Other than that, your plan sounds pretty good. I read the part about you saying that you still can't believe that the fuel tank doesn't have a skid. The part that is on the fuel tank right now is actually called a brush guard and it is metal. The only difference between that and the actual fuel tank skid is the skid adds another layer of metal that wraps around the bottom with a tab that sticks out to bolt on the transfer case skid. Good luck with the build and I hope it all turns out the way you want.

#6 ·
Do you notice a difference in ride quality on the road with the MD vs. the HD? Unfortunately I'm going to be driving about 100 miles a day, mostly highway, until I can get enough money to buy a DD. Am I going to have to take the brush guard off in order to put the actual skid on or does that just go right over the top?

Just found out I'm probably gonna have hold off on the lift for awhile. Bastards at the warranty place won't pay to get the 3 gaskets that blew and a manifold replacement because apparently it was caused by 3 bolts breaking and they "don't pay for any damage caused by broken bolts."

#12 ·
Is there going to be any major problems with getting the bumper off? Probably going to install them this week when I get my jeep back from the shop. I'll post some pics with what their primary use is going to be when I get a chance. Need em for the canoe =).

Also if anyone has any info on the stock skid plate install I'd appreciate it. Looks like you have to drop the fuel tank?

#13 ·
ogie said:
Is there going to be any major problems with getting the bumper off? Probably going to install them this week when I get my jeep back from the shop. I'll post some pics with what their primary use is going to be when I get a chance. Need em for the canoe =).

Also if anyone has any info on the stock skid plate install I'd appreciate it. Looks like you have to drop the fuel tank?
Pulling the bumper isn't bad at all. I had done it once before hand so I knew exacly what to do. Just look through the directions they send and you should be good!

#14 ·
Got the Jeep back today, installed Superchips as soon as I got home. Now I'm just waiting for the stock skids and saguaro shackle mounts to get here to install them. Next purchase: 4xguard belly and front guard.

#15 ·
Bit the bullet and got the 4xguard front and belly guards. Been going back and forth for a week now but I think it'll be the good decision in the long run.

#16 ·
ogie said:
Bit the bullet and got the 4xguard front and belly guards. Been going back and forth for a week now but I think it'll be the good decision in the long run.
Good planning man! Recovery and protection. Always the way to go. My next step is to get all the factory skids. Not going to be doing anything crazy but still want them just in case.

#17 ·
Yeah I ordered those at the beginning of the week. I almost ordered the 4xguard skids then too but I convinced myself not to until after my first paycheck. Guess we all saw how long that lasted. :laugh:

#18 ·
Shackle mounts are supposed to be in today! If I can convince my buddy to help you guys may get some updated pics tonight. :2thumbsup: Dunno if I'd be comfortable taking the thing off myself...

#19 ·
Got the shackle mounts and shackles but no bolts :thumbdown:. USPS drops the ball again. Box had a giant hole in it and everything. Called Saguaro and they're mailing out some new bolts tomorrow.

#20 ·
Got productive at the end of the day and decided to install the shackle mounts:

Didn't know if I'd like the shackles rather then the hooks but in the end I'm pretty happy with them.

I want to do the front 4xguard skid next if I can do it without having to take it off to put any other skids on as I have to install all the stock skids and the 4xguards... Does the front skid share any bolts with any other skids? Would I be ok to put it on and not have to take it off later. Input appreciated.

#21 ·
They look alot nicer during the day.

Do you guys leave yours on while you drive around? They look kinda easy to steal but I don't know if that happens to often or not... Thoughts?

#23 ·
Do you guys leave yours on while you drive around? They look kinda easy to steal but I don't know if that happens to often or not... Thoughts?
I like to put a big screw driver through the hole on the pin and really torque it down (or you could use a crescent wrench). It wont stop someone who is determined, but it will at least stop some punk from unscrewing them with their hands. Just be sure you have a screwdriver with you in the Jeep in case you need to actually use them.

#22 ·
ogie said:
They look alot nicer during the day.

I know that bumzo and myself have have zip ties through that wrap through the hole in the bolt and d-ring. Not gonna stop someone but will take longer for them. Or even stop them..

#24 ·
maybe safety wire them too? I know here I wouldn't leave them on, no way.

#25 ·
Yeah, I like the way they look on but I think I might take them off unless I'm off road. Too many *******s out there nowadays have to ruin it for the rest of us :mad:.

#26 ·
I don't think it is worth the risk. I keep mine attached to my tow strap in the back of the Jeep. I figure it is safer to keep them inside until I need them then to hang them outside for the world to steal. Especially here in Upper Mexico! Depending on where I park, I will even take my CB antenna off and throw it in the back. I hate dishonest people.

#27 ·
ogie said:
Well I figured I should get this started since I'm going to be ordering a **** LOAD of parts soon. Got the Jeep about 5 months ago, the WK is by FAR my favorite body style, thing looks sexy as hell. It's just too bad there's sooooooo many Jeeps driving around Toledo. Something about a jeep plant :laugh:. She's in the shop right now, apparently a bunch of gaskets need to be replaced and possibly the manifold... In addition to a water pump and some leakage from my transmission... Kinda wishing I would've looked a little harder before buying but that's what warranty's are for right? Anyways here's some pics stock with roof racks I got for christmas:

First mini mod was taking off the front airdam, I think the jeep looks alot better with out her little plastic skirt on.:thumbsup:

Got some cheapo Riken tires that came with the car when I bought it... Looking into getting some DuraTrac's, those treads are sexy looking.

Of course no skids so I'm going to have to buy a complete set, this plastic just isn't going to cut it:

I still can't believe this isn't a skid, didn't feel like plastic at all...

First modification was the radio. When I bought it the PO decided it would be a good idea to install the radio himself and completely screw everything up. When I turned the sub output up it messed with the 6x9's in the front. Got a Pioneer DEH-P8300UB as a present to myself for the new job, I'm pretty happy with it.

My buddy went with me when I got the stereo installed to price some W3's, he called me that night and told me he was going to buy them. I asked if I could buy his old W1's, got em for 50 bucks. So the next day a new ported box, 600 watt amp, wires and an install later I have some (like) new W1's (I consider it part of my present to myself :shhh:):

Just ordered a Superchips last night (buddy works at the zone and got me a sweet deal), will be using that IMMEDIATELY after I get my Jeep back from the shop.

Future mods:
Superchips (bought, waiting to be installed)
OME MD or HD lift (Opinions appreciated)
Full stock body armor (Will probably be buying that with my first paycheck)
4x front and belly guard
Wrangler DuraTrac's (not completely sold on them yet, but I love the look. Size suggestions with a OME lift for preferably no rubbing would be nice).

Couple of questions:
With the superchips or even just in general, is it worth getting a cold air intake over the stock box with a K&N filter?

Should I get the 4xguard rear guard if I have a trailer hitch?
I got 2 12 inch w3s in my trunk powered by 2000 watt in a potted box n all after market speakers car bumps insanely

#28 ·
I'm just glad my buddy bought a set of W3's so I could get his W1's cheap. They're more than powerful enough for me :2thumbsup:. His w3's sound bad *** in his TA though, he's about to be getting a new amp for them as well so they should be even better shortly.

#29 ·
For the shackles, some people put a boggered up weld on the threaded end of the bolt. They WILL NOT come off then! Only thing is, if you want to remove them, you have to cut them off.

#30 ·
ogie said:
I'm just glad my buddy bought a set of W3's so I could get his W1's cheap. They're more than powerful enough for me :2thumbsup:. His w3's sound bad *** in his TA though, he's about to be getting a new amp for them as well so they should be even better shortly.
Yea like my systems sets off car alarms jl is a good audio company

#32 ·
Well after paintball on sunday we attempted to put some of the skids in place:

After looking at the fuel tank skid we realized we didn't have time to do the back skids so we decided to just put on the front ones. So we take off the plastic piece that's in place of the front suspension skid, get ready to bolt her on and we find out that some ******* broke two bolts clean off and left them stuck in the holes:

Tried to remove the pieces with an easy out and we weren't having much luck.

When all was said and done we only got the front 4xguard skid on:

I'm a little worried about the bolts up front as they don't seem very tight in the holes even though they're bolted all the way down... Should I have cut off the park of the plastic piece that was in the way for the front of the mounts?

#33 ·
Just got the belly guard installed last night... I'm a little worried though because I don't have the tcase skid and so I couldn't get the bolts to screw in all the way... Feels like if I torque it anymore it's going to strip them out... It feels solid though, it has a little play up and down but it was so minimal I barely noticed. I couldn't move it forward and backwards.

Hopefully once I get the fuel tank skid on (Mechanic that I was going to pay to do it ****ed up and thought the skid that's on there right now was the same one I bought with the mounting bracket for the tcase skid... So I couldn't get either of them on. Here's a pic:

Any idea on whether or not those bolts will be ok? It's making me a little nervous I think it should be alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.