My '05 WK build thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > My '05 WK build thread.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
My '05 WK build thread.

Well I figured I should get this started since I'm going to be ordering a **** LOAD of parts soon. Got the Jeep about 5 months ago, the WK is by FAR my favorite body style, thing looks sexy as hell. It's just too bad there's sooooooo many Jeeps driving around Toledo. Something about a jeep plant . She's in the shop right now, apparently a bunch of gaskets need to be replaced and possibly the manifold... In addition to a water pump and some leakage from my transmission... Kinda wishing I would've looked a little harder before buying but that's what warranty's are for right? Anyways here's some pics stock with roof racks I got for christmas:







First mini mod was taking off the front airdam, I think the jeep looks alot better with out her little plastic skirt on.




Got some cheapo Riken tires that came with the car when I bought it... Looking into getting some DuraTrac's, those treads are sexy looking.





Of course no skids so I'm going to have to buy a complete set, this plastic just isn't going to cut it:





I still can't believe this isn't a skid, didn't feel like plastic at all...



First modification was the radio. When I bought it the PO decided it would be a good idea to install the radio himself and completely screw everything up. When I turned the sub output up it messed with the 6x9's in the front. Got a Pioneer DEH-P8300UB as a present to myself for the new job, I'm pretty happy with it.



My buddy went with me when I got the stereo installed to price some W3's, he called me that night and told me he was going to buy them. I asked if I could buy his old W1's, got em for 50 bucks. So the next day a new ported box, 600 watt amp, wires and an install later I have some (like) new W1's (I consider it part of my present to myself ):



Just ordered a Superchips last night (buddy works at the zone and got me a sweet deal), will be using that IMMEDIATELY after I get my Jeep back from the shop.

Future mods:
Superchips (bought, waiting to be installed)
OME MD or HD lift (Opinions appreciated)
Full stock body armor (Will probably be buying that with my first paycheck)
4x front and belly guard
Wrangler DuraTrac's (not completely sold on them yet, but I love the look. Size suggestions with a OME lift for preferably no rubbing would be nice).

Couple of questions:
With the superchips or even just in general, is it worth getting a cold air intake over the stock box with a K&N filter?

Should I get the 4xguard rear guard if I have a trailer hitch?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
etp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: !
Posts: 127
What is that faceplate you used for the radio to cover up the factory holes? I would like to know all of the stuff you used for your receiver, wiring harness, bezel (faceplate), etc.
etp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Lifted_up
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gallup, New Mexico
Posts: 468
If I was you, I would just go ahead and get the OME HD because of the fact that you are going to be adding armor. I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to get the MD and then later find out that it's not gonna cut it. Other than that, your plan sounds pretty good. I read the part about you saying that you still can't believe that the fuel tank doesn't have a skid. The part that is on the fuel tank right now is actually called a brush guard and it is metal. The only difference between that and the actual fuel tank skid is the skid adds another layer of metal that wraps around the bottom with a tab that sticks out to bolt on the transfer case skid. Good luck with the build and I hope it all turns out the way you want.
__________________
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
What is that faceplate you used for the radio to cover up the factory holes? I would like to know all of the stuff you used for your receiver, wiring harness, bezel (faceplate), etc.
The face plate was actually in the car when I got it. I'm pretty sure the wiring harness is just the stock one. I can check though.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
AJeepZJ
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ft Bragg, MO
Posts: 3,575
Good luck with your future mods
__________________
All Gear, No Skill.
AJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted_up View Post
If I was you, I would just go ahead and get the OME HD because of the fact that you are going to be adding armor. I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't want to get the MD and then later find out that it's not gonna cut it. Other than that, your plan sounds pretty good. I read the part about you saying that you still can't believe that the fuel tank doesn't have a skid. The part that is on the fuel tank right now is actually called a brush guard and it is metal. The only difference between that and the actual fuel tank skid is the skid adds another layer of metal that wraps around the bottom with a tab that sticks out to bolt on the transfer case skid. Good luck with the build and I hope it all turns out the way you want.
Do you notice a difference in ride quality on the road with the MD vs. the HD? Unfortunately I'm going to be driving about 100 miles a day, mostly highway, until I can get enough money to buy a DD. Am I going to have to take the brush guard off in order to put the actual skid on or does that just go right over the top?

Just found out I'm probably gonna have hold off on the lift for awhile. Bastards at the warranty place won't pay to get the 3 gaskets that blew and a manifold replacement because apparently it was caused by 3 bolts breaking and they "don't pay for any damage caused by broken bolts."
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Lifted_up
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gallup, New Mexico
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Do you notice a difference in ride quality on the road with the MD vs. the HD? Unfortunately I'm going to be driving about 100 miles a day, mostly highway, until I can get enough money to buy a DD. Am I going to have to take the brush guard off in order to put the actual skid on or does that just go right over the top?

Just found out I'm probably gonna have hold off on the lift for awhile. Bastards at the warranty place won't pay to get the 3 gaskets that blew and a manifold replacement because apparently it was caused by 3 bolts breaking and they "don't pay for any damage caused by broken bolts."
Well...I personally don't have any experience with MD vs HD since I went with the HD initially. I actually like the ride now but initially it was kinda rough but not unbearable. Like I said before, if you are going to get armor, I would go with the HD because it all adds up and that goes for passengers as well.

The brush guard will need to come off so that means you will have to drop the fuel tank. I was able to do that myself with a little creativeness.

Also, if you are at all the least mechanically inclined with a descent set of tools, you should be able to fix those broken bolts by yourself. I've actually had to pull mine off about 4 times due them breaking. I'm finally all switched out to grade 10 bolts so no more breaking. I would hate for you to have to hold off on the lift that you were looking forward to.
__________________
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted_up View Post
Well...I personally don't have any experience with MD vs HD since I went with the HD initially. I actually like the ride now but initially it was kinda rough but not unbearable. Like I said before, if you are going to get armor, I would go with the HD because it all adds up and that goes for passengers as well.

The brush guard will need to come off so that means you will have to drop the fuel tank. I was able to do that myself with a little creativeness.

Also, if you are at all the least mechanically inclined with a descent set of tools, you should be able to fix those broken bolts by yourself. I've actually had to pull mine off about 4 times due them breaking. I'm finally all switched out to grade 10 bolts so no more breaking. I would hate for you to have to hold off on the lift that you were looking forward to.
Well after alot of swearing and arguing I got the dealership to cover all the costs not covered by the warranty so we're all good now and I can continue with the build thread instead of starting a new one for the 06 hemi limited I was looking at.

Just got my superchips in this past week and just ordered my stock skid plates and they should hopefully be here by the weekend. Thinking about getting some of the 4xguard parts this week too, gonna see how much money I'm gonna get per check and then go from there. Definitely going to be buying that belly guard asap though. Does anyone have any experience with their rock rails or rear brush guards? Getting excited about getting this thing going again after 5 days of arguing with the dealers.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Just a quick update, ordered the Saguaro shackle mount kit.

http://www.saguaro4xcomponents.com/i...products_id=45
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
CmmdrDan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,175
You'll love those mounts. Easy as pie to install and look great!!
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
cherrybomb05
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,079
Looks good! Reminds me of mine and how the salt gets/looks on it.
__________________
07 WK
10 JKUR
11 JKR
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
You'll love those mounts. Easy as pie to install and look great!!
Is there going to be any major problems with getting the bumper off? Probably going to install them this week when I get my jeep back from the shop. I'll post some pics with what their primary use is going to be when I get a chance. Need em for the canoe =).

Also if anyone has any info on the stock skid plate install I'd appreciate it. Looks like you have to drop the fuel tank?
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
CmmdrDan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie

Is there going to be any major problems with getting the bumper off? Probably going to install them this week when I get my jeep back from the shop. I'll post some pics with what their primary use is going to be when I get a chance. Need em for the canoe =).

Also if anyone has any info on the stock skid plate install I'd appreciate it. Looks like you have to drop the fuel tank?
Pulling the bumper isn't bad at all. I had done it once before hand so I knew exacly what to do. Just look through the directions they send and you should be good!
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Got the Jeep back today, installed Superchips as soon as I got home. Now I'm just waiting for the stock skids and saguaro shackle mounts to get here to install them. Next purchase: 4xguard belly and front guard.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
ogie
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Temperance, Mi
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Got the Jeep back today, installed Superchips as soon as I got home. Now I'm just waiting for the stock skids and saguaro shackle mounts to get here to install them. Next purchase: 4xguard belly and front guard.
Bit the bullet and got the 4xguard front and belly guards. Been going back and forth for a week now but I think it'll be the good decision in the long run.
ogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.