Multiple warranty replacements - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Reddogaggie
2008 XK Commander 

Multiple warranty replacements

I have a 2008 Commander 4.7 with QDII. Had a 2" lift put on just a month ago. I bought the Jeep new and a lifetime warranty. This is a daily driver and family truckster for vacations and has driven most of the states (163,000 miles). I take pretty good care of it and have the dealer service it regularly even though it has seen pretty light off-road use compared to what it is capable. So far I have had the rear differential and transfer case replaced along with an assortment of other minor engine work. Dealership just told me that part of my overheating issue is a cracked head or leaking gasket (under warranty). Question: Is this typical replacement for this age vehicle and mileage? I intend to do a bit more off-roading since my son is getting older and enjoys being "off the grid". I have looked for this info on other threads but unable to find anything. If you know of a similar thread can you please point me to it so I don't beat a dead horse here. BTW, that lifetime warranty was one of my best investments EVER!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Jonathan1084
2008 WK 

Great Questions... I have an 08 WK and i also purchased the lifetime warranty... I am begining to notice that my suspension and ride quality are sloppy. I am at 112K miles and will get tires by November. I am thinking that shocks and struts are due, but maybe the sway bar bushings? I am curious if the tire rods and control arm bushings should be looked at as well.

Were you concerned with putting a lift on the jeep and FCA saying that it may invalidate a portion of the warranty?

Thanks!

2008 WK - All stock
Laredo X-Package - 3.7L 4x4
post #3 of 6 Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Reddogaggie
2008 XK Commander 

Not worried about the lift voiding warranty at this point. It seems that its not an issue at 2". The head service writer called me and said that they have a $3000 limit on one warranty ticket. If it goes over that then Chrysler sends an auditor out to see if they will continue the warranty. To date they have probably put in $7000 of parts and labor or more. I need to read the contract but it sounds like they have an opt out clause if the repair/car value are not kosher. The guy at the dealership wanted me to wait a week to have the heads redone since they were already installing a new transfer case. That would have put me well over $3k. Since the car runs and Im not doing much with it over the next week I took it home and will baby it until it goes in next week under a new ticket so we can try to avoid an auditor poking his nose around my car. I'm actually very happy with that phone call as it may have saved me a ton of $$$ by keeping my warranty. Plus, the dealership still gets paid for the work.
My main issue is that with daily city and hwy driving that all these major parts needed replacement. Up until the last three weeks I have never put a serious load on it. All the warranty items came before I took a trip and pulled a travel trailer. The car still did fine even with the issues it already had.

Just wondering if others have had to replace the TC, rear diff, radiator, heads and other engine/transmission parts like I have, not to mention the numerous recalls. As I stated, I have taken good care and had all the services done by the same dealership and in a timely manor. Now after a new rear diff and transfer case my "service 4 wheel drive" light comes on and I can't get into 4 wheel low. Grrrr!
post #4 of 6 Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Jonathan1084
2008 WK 

from what i understand the warranty is active as long as the value of the vehicle exceeds the value of the repair (from a cost of repair stand point). at that time the warranty is cashed out and they send you a check for $25. lmao.

2008 WK - All stock
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Reddogaggie
2008 XK Commander 

That the way that I understand it. Just hope they replace the heads/or gasket before then.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Jonathan1084
2008 WK 

I do know what model your Commander is but i assumed it was a base 4wd model with no options and in average condition with your miles NADA.com still says you are at about $6K in value... so i think you have a while before the value of your vehicle is eclipse by the repair.

let us know how it goes... good luck!

2008 WK - All stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.