MPG Imrovement Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > MPG Imrovement Mods

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Exivus

MPG Imrovement Mods

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or good suggestions on parts and/org modifications to the car that improves MPGs -- even slightly but absolute (eg, change in air filter, etc.).

Exivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
XKShawn

See the following post from Intreper for air intake mod info...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/letting-commander-breath-little-better-222716/
XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Todd Abbott

The items I think of right off the bat are as listed above a better intake system and a less restrictive cat back exhaust, which will allow the motor to breath better, and good quality synthetic oil which should decrease friction, heat and reduce wear, reduce vehicle weight by removing the third row seat if not in use, tow hitch package if it's not used ect..., reduce drag by removing the roof rack cross bars, now with all this being said don't expect to set the world on fire with massive milage gains, even if you did all of the above I would think the gains would be minimal but I will say without a doubt that the vehicle wil perform better, 15 to 20hp, and provide you with better milage if you can stay out of the throttle and stay on the highway. Good luck, Todd
Todd Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
SYCOHEMI

Everyone seems to be getting better mileage than me. I live in So Cal, so the highway speeds are either 15 mph (when crowded) or 80 mph (normal).

I also have the cast 5 spoke aluminum 17 inch factory wheels, and I am wondering if this is affecting mileage too (in addition to my natural lead foot). Does anyone know weight comparison of the forged chrome six spoke factory wheels?
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Chipster009

We're averaged 16mpg on our Sequoia Park trip over the weekend.

We had 87 octane in the tank for the drive to Visalia from the OC ... then we topped off the tank with 89 octane before we ventured into the park.

BTW... I'll post some pics when I get back home from work.
Unread 04-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
jakrabit

i've found that keeping the Tach as close to 2k has helped my mileage... getting right about 19 mpg
jakrabit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
simioh

WOW 19 mpg i did the same thing, tried to keep the tach at 2k (altho i know rpm's dont really have much to do with milage, its the throttle) and it did help a lot. 3 days of keeping revs at 2k bumped me up from 14 mpg (on the 3.7 isnt that crazy) to 18 mpg. but it sux driving with rpms at 2k all the time hahaha
simioh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
simioh

oh, and by the way... ive been able to go down into the 12's (mpg) with my 3.7
so much for "saving gas with the 6cyl."
simioh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simioh
oh, and by the way... ive been able to go down into the 12's (mpg) with my 3.7
so much for "saving gas with the 6cyl."
Why would you get the V6 on such a big vehicle?
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
XKShawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797
Why would you get an automatic in a YJ?

XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797
My point is why would you get the smallest engine option in a full size SUV and expect to get good gas millage? A smaller engine needs to work harder to move the weight around, so you can't expect to be getting 20mpg or better.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.