Moving up to a WK! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Moving up to a WK!

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Moving up to a WK!

Hi guys!

So I'm currently looking at upgrading from my XJ to a WK Grand Cherokee. What kind of issues are common to the WK family as far as power train, electronics, etc? Assuming I do pick up a GC, I do plan on putting on a mild lift and more aggressive tires (Duratracs). I did some searching of the WK subforum, but I didn't find anything definitive WRT the technical aspects of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

If you get one with a sunroof make sure it does not leak!!
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

The drivetrain seems to be more fragile and much less forgiving to lack of maintenance. The one and major reason I won't pull the trigger on one is because of the stalling issue they have (read a few threads down) seems to affect every trim level. There are guys on here that will tell you they beat the snot out of their wk and its perfectly fine, well that may be true for them but for every person that says that there is another person saying the exact opposite.

I personally know two people that couldn't even take a 300 mile road trip because of transmission and diff problems. I like them alot but I personally won't take a gamble with the problems these things have. Good luck!
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've had great luck with the 3 (yes 3) WK platform jeeps I have owned. I have had to replace the water pump on my 07 (with 53k which was strange yet very easy to replace). My 06 WK has a bearing in the rear diff go out and it was out for a few weeks, but other than that I have trekked many miles in these jeeps and they have never left me stranded. As "lauderdalechad" said.. some of the 2007 hemis have a stalling issue, which you can read about on another thread in the forums. Good luck on your decision
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

I made the step from a 2001 XJ to a 2007 WK. In hind sight I wish I would have taken my time and searched out a 5.7 with QuadraDrive 2. But I am very happy with my 4.7/QuadraTrac 2 set up.

Take into consideration what you plan to add down the road. The 5.7 is much more mod friendly than the 4.7. I myself wouldn't buy a GC without a V8, but I'm sure the V6 has its purpose. If you want a locker, you may want to go with the QT2. QD2 has ELSD's so you don't have to worry about it.

When I bought mine it needed a new front diff bushing, spark plugs, fluid flushes all around. My Transmission pump went out almost a year after I bought it and required a complete rebuild with lots of parts replacements. I would suggest getting a Chrysler extended warranty if possible. It has paid for itself in my instance.

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalechad View Post
The drivetrain seems to be more fragile and much less forgiving to lack of maintenance. The one and major reason I won't pull the trigger on one is because of the stalling issue they have (read a few threads down) seems to affect every trim level. There are guys on here that will tell you they beat the snot out of their wk and its perfectly fine, well that may be true for them but for every person that says that there is another person saying the exact opposite.

I personally know two people that couldn't even take a 300 mile road trip because of transmission and diff problems. I like them alot but I personally won't take a gamble with the problems these things have. Good luck!
sad...

I love mine!
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
tdoster
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalechad View Post

Having owned both a JK and WK both 2007's I have to say the issues were pretty much the same. The WK's I have seen with lots of issues were either not maintained now, or in a previous life with another owner. Computers do some amazing things, but they can't swim and the more qizmos the more it costs to maintain and the more stuff can fail. Sould be one of Newton's Laws. EPA rules also cause more issues than not. Reality is the newer the more expensive and prevalent the issues will be with any vehicle as they get older.

Not to sound like I am flaming you, but you don't own one and nothing worse on forums than getting second-hand advise. WK's are no more problematic than any other "complicated" vehicle out there and the true cost of ownership is still straight line with the other American brands and lower than the European brands, and a little higher than the brands out of Japan. If you want to do nothing but trails, then Wrangler or FJ are the only two games in town for vehicles made between 2005 and 2010. From there, it goes to your wants/needs and pocket book. For a mid-size luxury SUV that is pretty awesome offroad, there is not a lot of choices. The problem is not sestemic to the WK, but to any vehicle that has those options. You can't just drive 100K and not expect any maint like you could on the older vehicles from the mid 80's to 2001.

But what I get in my WK is the peace of mind and ability to drive almost any trail with ease and comfort. No more freezing my butt off in a soft top over the tree line. Nope, Sat radio, butt warmers and a really comfy seat. You don't fix these things in your garage for anything but the basics, but I don't want to wrench on it, I want to have true utility and luxury in one package that I can comfortably drive. Wisdom comes with age..
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
drew54
2006 WK 

Leaking transmission cooler.
Leaking exhaust manifolds caused by rusted off bolts.
Front sway bar bushings. Clunk noises when going over pot holes and rough roads a low speed.
Gear whines at 60 -70 MPH.
Flashing dash lights associated to ignition tumbler or turn signal multi switch.
Cracked leather seats.
Lumbar support lever non ffunctional. (Caused by broken seat frame)
Passenger side airbags warning light when no one is in the seat.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
drew54
2006 WK 

sorry duplicate post
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

So it's been 4 months since I originally posted, but I finally decided on a CRD WK. I picked it up a few weeks ago. I LOVE it so far. My short term plans are to pick up the GDE tune, and eventually install an OME HD lift w/ some JK Rubicon wheels.

RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

NICE! Had mine for 80k miles and still happy although I am watching a ETC issue brewing - it can be dealt with because of the GREAT forum here.
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #12
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj View Post
So it's been 4 months since I originally posted, but I finally decided on a CRD WK. I picked it up a few weeks ago. I LOVE it so far. My short term plans are to pick up the GDE tune, and eventually install an OME HD lift w/ some JK Rubicon wheels.

Very nice - I don't think you'll be disappointed in your choice. The WK is a solid Jeep platform in my opinion. Good for a wide variety of uses. Very reliable dd; lots of interior/cargo room; great fun on trails w/ some mods; not sure about the CRD but in general the preventative maintenance on them is straightforward; lifting it is relatively easy and you'll never have to deal with death wobble - Congrats!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Awesome and thanks for posting...Glad you did not listen to Silverado man and his comments.

Keep in mind that a forum will always highlight problems because it gives us a place to come and ***** and find out how to fix the WK. There are thousands of WKs running around North America with no issues...we represent a very small % on this forum.

Welcome aboard.....get the GDE tune and drive.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
rsurran
2005 WK 

Drove my WK home from work in Hurricane Sandy just like dry pavement. Rain sensing windshield kept up with changes in downpour and temp controls kept me toasty while I listened to storm updates on the radio. This Jeep is my Red Rider BB gun of vehicles, nothing more to ask for worth every penny. Moved up from a 2000 XJ two months ago, that was a great Jeep too.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.