Moving to Italy with CRD bad idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Moving to Italy with CRD bad idea?

WIN a set of Mammoth Boulder Wheels at ExtremeTerrain.com!Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidTruck & Jeep Fest 2015 - Edmonton

Unread 04-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
airmail96

Moving to Italy with CRD bad idea?

Hi everyone, my family and I just found out that we will be moving to Italy in November and we can bring one vehicle with us. Currently we have our 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, Honda Accord, and an Acura TSX. Out of the three we are leaning hard towards the Jeep. I know they CRD engine is more common in Europe and that is a big reason we are leaning towards it that and we love our jeep compared to everything else that we have. Does anyone have any experience with having their CRD in Europe? The jeep has better turning radius then both the Honda and the Acura, the gas mileage is pretty much the same across the board. The only thing I'm really worried about are finding mechanics that can work on it in Italy. We plan to have all maintenance done before we head over but we know things happen.

airmail96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Yes the Mercedes CRD is commonplace in Euro Chrysler products...how common in Italy would be anyones guess....I would take my CRD with me in a heartbeat....I would however be very tempted to buy a Hilux just to say I owned one...

http://www.toyota.it/gamma/hilux/index.json
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Diesel is also cheaper than petrol in Europe. http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Red_liner740

While the CRD may be common place, the rest of the Jeep will have the "import" premium and expensive parts.

Dude, you're going to Europe where diesel vehicles are gallore and you want to bring a diesel Jeep?

No way, no how. I'd be purchasing a car there 100%
Red_liner740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
airmail96

Haha I see your point red. I guess our thinking is its free to get the vehicle sent over there, and I can always buy a vehicle there., also. We are still paying the jeep off and don't have anyone to hold onto it while we are the. The main thing with buy a vehicle there is, whatever I buy there might not be able to come back with me and I'll most likely only be there for 2yrs.
Unread 04-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmail96 View Post
Haha I see your point red. I guess our thinking is its free to get the vehicle sent over there, and I can always buy a vehicle there., also. We are still paying the jeep off and don't have anyone to hold onto it while we are the. The main thing with buy a vehicle there is, whatever I buy there might not be able to come back with me and I'll most likely only be there for 2yrs.
BMW and Mercedes have a European Delivery program....pretty cool program...pick up in Germany...drive for 2 years and then sale it...or bring it back to the USA....my brother did that with an M3 while he was stationed in Germany.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I would bring it there .. and sell it there. It's a premium vehicle there. You may want to bring a vet with you too.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
DutchJPR
1986 CJ7 

Ill go with TangoTango!
CRD are most common in Europe, dealers and (Jeep) mecanics are not as widely spread as in the US, butt availabe countrywide. http://www.jeep-official.it/find_dealer.html
Unread 04-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
tom58

Most crd s where built in Austria. Like in spain is a jeep gc crd a very common car in italy. service is good and most spare parts for engine and gearbox are on stock. so donīt worry
tom58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Ha Ha. As if our dealers here are the only ones who can fix a Jeep?? The Italians couldn't f... things up much worse than our homies!!!!!
Unread 04-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

I just spent 8 days in Sicily and I saw 4 (different) grand cherokee CRDs while I was there, vs never even seeing another one in person other than mine in the US. Maybe that'll help your decision.

Where in Italy are you moving? Have you been there before? I rented a car (Citroen C4) and we drove basically all around Sicily. I couldn't believe the way they drive over there... lol. You have to be pretty aggressive and I quickly learned that the "boston block" didn't come from boston. Hahaha.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
jediknight
2008 WK 

I'd bring it there !
Especially if your employers pays for the move I can't see why not?
Unread 04-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Clach
2006 WK 

Sell it and move on...emissions, tax, and eveything in between just to get it there. Come to Italy and enjoy it. Don't move a little peice of America to Italy where most roads are narrow and wyndy.
Clach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
kifaru

I moved from the uk to canada still can't find a good economical diesel in canada close is the grd or merc.
had a citeron van diesel 50mpg imp,
no problems drove for 5yr very reliable as well.
buy there best option, I think 50% off cars in Europe or diesel
kifaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #15
airmail96

Thank you for everyone's input. I think we are going to take the jeep for longer trips and buy a little car for shorter trips. We will be moving to Gaeta. Yeah the military is taking car of shipping the vehicle over and everything. The wife and I love our jeep and fear that we wouldn't be able to find another vehicle like it when we get back from Italy in three years that would be in our price range. Now guess it's time to get this thing tip top . Thank you again everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.