Moving to CA, registration question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Moving to CA, registration question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Zippiot
2008 WK 

Moving to CA, registration question

I currently own my 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD in Georgia, where I don't have any smog related to registration.
As I understand, the 3.0l CRD was not initially for sale in CA, though I can import a "used" car provided it has over 7,500 miles (it certainly does).
My concern lies in smog testing the Jeep, as diesels now have to be smogged in Cali.
Has anybody registered a used CRD in Cali from out of state? This is the best car I have ever owned, I do not want to sell it :/

The Jeep is 100% stock with all emissions equipment in place and functional.

jeep-crd.jpg  
Zippiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Zippiot
2008 WK 

This is the best info I can find, yet all it is telling me is that my car must pass smog. The Jeep runs clean as far as I can tell, but being that it wasn't emissions legal in the state in the first place I am unsure what must or might need to be done.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
modernblueWK

When you take it in to smog it, they will run the vin and see that it was originally sold in a state other than CA. The requirements will be less than if it was a CA sold vehicle. If the ses light is not on then im sure you will be fine. I used to live in CA. Dont miss it.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
willyok

I bought mine in Arizona and registered it in California two days later. I had to pay the difference in our sales tax and get it smogged. Some shops will not smog diesels and others will charge extra for a truck fee because it is diesel. I watched him do the test. He looks for any check engine lights, modifications to the intake or exhaust that aren't CARB approved then revs it three times looking for excessive smoke.

Pretty easy and no biggie. Welcome to California. Im in SD.

Will
willyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
tabascocat
2005 WK 

You shouldn't have any problems. We moved from Texas to SF and had to get the wife's X5 registered. I was all paranoid but in the end, it wasn't a big deal, just extra $$ to line their pockets.
tabascocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Zippiot
2008 WK 

Cool, thanks for the help guys!
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I see CRD WK's around on a fairly regular basis.

Where about in Cali are you relocating to?

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Zippiot
2008 WK 

I am from the SF Bay, I am spending some time overseas and then will be in the Bay briefly, before moving near LA for work.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.